It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with parents today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Personally i thin that parents today are getting worse making there children become materialistic and not helping the children become unique and spending quality time with them what do other people think.i mean some just let them sit in front of the t.v for hours and hours.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Question 1#: How old are u?
Question 2#: How do u know what other families do??

If an adult tries to get their kids attention away from there PS2 or Gameboy then its a damn miracle these days!!!!

When i was younger the who damn street normally played together until 10pm everynight then at school the next day....personally i think that some people these days just need to remember that all it takes is one word 'no' to keep they're child off the net and take them up the hills or away for the day doing something energetic and educational..

I'm 20yrs old....i was 16 when i got my first computer......i played up in the hills, took long walks with the older generations and generally had a great time.....if someone asked me if i wanted to change the past and grow up nowadays....i'd say no as i never want to change all the great adventures i had in the highlands.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Why should my age matter.
And in answer to your second question

Ive seen how people treat there kids.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We are moving towards service to self in general.

We are also melding with the electric and magnetic universe as a life form thus the obsession with technology, which is a part of us.

The difference between those that will progress to a higher plane in this cycle and those that do not is awareness of what is going on and their intent of action in future.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
LMAO....

Have you got any kids???

Well ive got 2 and they sure as hell don't sit in front of the TV all day..I do everything i can to help them get a better education and a head start...

Oh btw they only use the PC to do their homework on..

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Real Deal,

good man, teach them well for that is your true purpose in their existance.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Fitzpatrick....

I am only curious as u sound like someone who is a parent...i mean no disrespect!

As to ur 2nd question...i agree....i see how parents treat there children everyday....leave them outside in the cold and rain with nothing to do...or leave them with the keys to the house a fiver and a PS2...what kind of life is that???

To me my childhood was precious...i never want to change it as i have way to many great memories of my dead granparents...

I may not have a great deal of life experience...but i'll be damned if i see any other children do what i have done!

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Agreed THENEO

But you should let them browse the internet on there own for as long as they wont i think if you dont already as it helped me a lot.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Fitzpatrick...yes i let them browse the internet when they are researching stuff
I even let them browse ATS and read some of the members lunatic rantings...

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
Fitzpatrick....

I am only curious as u sound like someone who is a parent...i mean no disrespect!

As to ur 2nd question...i agree....i see how parents treat there children everyday....leave them outside in the cold and rain with nothing to do...or leave them with the keys to the house a fiver and a PS2...what kind of life is that???

To me my childhood was precious...i never want to change it as i have way to many great memories of my dead granparents...

I may not have a great deal of life experience...but i'll be damned if i see any other children do what i have done!

Same here mate i just thought u meant it in a different way
Parent lol ........try teenager

I value my childhood as well it got me intrested in loads of amazing things now and helped me to get on with most people who i meet.
Im not saying ps2 are bad or anything i would buy my child the latest console but not let them spend all day on it on there own.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
s'okay FP!

Sometimes i just come across in the wrong way!

So...u are a teenager!

Thanks be to those who came before us...for they are the ones who teach us to ourselves and give us the memories we cherish for all time!

Oh....mate is actually a girl!

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Part of it is also it seems like some parents don't want to parent. Their kids are being kids and they don't want to deal with it, so they put their kids on perscription medication. And the doctors suggest it because they make money. I remember when I was younger, what I did, and what I had to do. Man, I would love to have no responsibilities, other than chores, again. This real life stuff sucks sometimes.

Have there been any studies in the way kids are raised these days? I am thinking along the lines of having 1 stay at home parent during the crucial time of the childrens lives, and when they come home from school (up to 12th), versus 2 working parents and the kids are not supervised in any way after school, or have babysitters all the time. Anybody hear of anything like this?

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Game consoles are meant to separate the child from their parents thus making them vulnerable for persuasion

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Real Deal,

so you have your kids read the postings here?

they must read yours also.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Referring to the first post,the origin of the thread.
I tried to point this out to my wife,that we needed to live a more frugal lifestyle to be with the kids more and actually try to get them to think for themselves and be less materialistic and free from want.
Teach the difference between wanting something,and needing something,teach them moderation and conservation,not to take things for granted......
She waited until 2 out of 3 of them got through college and then she divorced me.
People who can think do not fit in here,we are expected to consume without giving any thought to how much effort we put into getting what we want and do not truly need,we are conditioned to waste most of our effort chasing things that we have nothing to do with producing.
We are being milked like cattle for the profit of the few,who live the example that we pursue,but will never achieve,being told the lie that we can be whatever we want to be.
We are naive.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Neo yes they have read some of my posts and no i don't have them read the posts on ats just when i have been on sometimes they are around and asked if they could read some of interest..

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I had a childhood somewhat similar to Gryffen. I was very close to my Dad's parents and spent a great deal of time with them listening to their stories and thoughts about life. I didn't have a T.V. at all until I was 15 or so. I didn't have a computer in my house until I was a senior in h.s. and didn't really even go on the internet until the last couple years. My parents enforced a very strong sense of responsiblility and morals. Respect for one's elders was extremely important, something which is seriously lacking in today's children. My parents set a valuable example for me to follow, and I obeyed them, in large part, because I didn't want to cause them disappointment.

I think, that parents think, kid's are instinctually designed to care for and raise themselves. They don't realize that a child learns to value life, education, and FREEDOM from them. If they're not around, or don't demonstrate the importance of these things, than kids will learn it from somewhere else, i.e., T.V., friends, government schools. This is, incidentally, the goal of the facist movements in the world.

"Every child in America entering school at the age of five is mentally ill because he comes to school with certain allegiances to our Founding Fathers, toward our elected officials, toward his parents, toward a belief in a supernatural being, and toward the sovereignty of this nation as a separate entity. It's up to you as teachers to make all these sick children well - by creating the international child of the future. "
� Chester M. Pierce; Professor of Education and Psychiatry; Harvard

Parents have forgotten to be parents. They try so hard to be friends with their kids that when they realize their kids need discipline it's too late. Kids need to be shown respect but they also need to be aware of their parent's authority. I fought with my parent's as a teenager, but I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for their efforts now.

new topics

top topics

join