It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question For All Who Experience Sleep Paralysis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Lately I have been pondering something and I was wondering if some people who have sleep paralysis could answer it for me. It's one simple question:

Do you sleep with your curtains open, moonlight coming into your room?

Either one of two ways:
1. Light coming into the room, but not falling directly onto you
or
2. Moonlight falling directly onto you.

It is popular Maori belief that if you leave your curtains open and let moonlight in, you will have horrible nightmares of demonic beings crawling all over you, etc. Something similar exists in Lithuanian folklore.

So I want to see if the moon does indeed play some sort of part in this phenomenon. I personally have never experienced sleep paralysis, so I am looking to you for help. I also suspect something similar may be the culprit behind the alien abduction phenomenon.

If anybody really wants to look into this, also keep track of what stage the moon is at. Ie. Do you get sleep paralysis more often when the moon is full vs only quarter, etc.

There may be some sort of scientific explaination, like the light affecting your brain and making your body unable to make the transition between awake and asleep. Or there may be some sort of truely paranormal tie between the moon and sleep paralysis.

- Yarcofin

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have a pull down blind AND vertical blinds (navy blue). I like it dark, but as dawn approaches you can still see light entering around the edges of the blind and slightly illuminating my bedroom.

But you know what's weird, now that I think of it? The majority of my sleep paralysis episodes happened during afternoon naps with the blinds open and daylight pouring in.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
When I had sleep paralysis I was about 16 years old and at the time sleeping on the screened in back porch of the house cause it was summer. I only had it once though.

Hope that helps with your question.

Wupy

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I used to experience sleep paralysis back when I was in college. I usually chalked it up to sleep deprivation. However, I noticed I stopped experiencing it when my children were both newborn, and I was definately sleep dreprived.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Well I did have a lucid dream, I freaked out because I couldn't wake up, when I did wake up, I woke up into another lucid dream with sleep paralysis, and there were two being the came towards me, it was pretty frighting, I hope that shed some light for you. I acknowledge it was a dream because I looked around my room and everything was a blur to me, and usually I can tell when I'm dreaming or not. All I can say is that I am positive the moon light hit me, because at the time my bed was place in front of a window, and my window does not have curtains.

Well when I have a real sleep paralysis now a days, I just wait and ponder see if I can split (astral projection) or I just sleep it out, usually I gain control of my body when I wake up from my nap or sleep. I usually don't see anything strange when I have sleep paralysis, since I am essentially awake and conscious, I just can't move my body.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hello Yar

Now this has me thinking, and thank you for kind of confirming what I too have felt all along! I bet it does show it plays a roll! I always get extremely uncomfortable when the moon, especially when its full peeks through the side of my shade when they are drawn completly down. Especially it seems right about the 2 or 3AM time is when I am abruptly awakened at night, then sure enough its beaming through the crack right at my head!
Its been a long time since I had the sleep paralysis happen, but if that would happen again and its a full moon, I will sure to let you know!
Now I will make sure that moon has no way of peeking through! Yikes lol
I do know this, that my nightmares do peek when their is a full moon!
Thanks for your Thread, I like to be one step ahead of the evil creatures of the night! Another key to the puzzle you gave in which I'm trying to solve!

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I experience sleep paralysis. It occurs in clusters, of no particular pattern. I haven't thought about it relating to the moon tho. But my house is surrounded by alot of trees, and it is rare for the moon to shine through. As for the lighting of the room, I don't sleep in complete darkness anymore, although I used to b4 this began. I cannot even look at my window ! But I have blinds closed and a sheer white curtain over them. There is also a street light beside my window.

I have had it during the day when napping, but mostly it occurs around 3 Am. I personally find it quite traumatising

[edit on 14-2-2006 by violet]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hey guys, i've been lurking for a few months now and this topic caught my attention enough to post. I too experience sleep paralysis only when i sleep in the dark. Nowadays i always sleep with the tv on. The worst case of sleep paralysis i ever experienced was when i was 13 and i lived right off of a highway. I decided to sleep on the couch in the living room, flipped off the tv, and laid there in the dark. I was watching the headlights from the cars move along my ceiling, and i must of drifted. I "awoke" to this dark shadowy mass moving along my ceiling like the tide of the ocean moving along the beach, except alot slower and almost seemed sadistic. There was also a loud noise like someone screaming into a static converter. I could'nt move, all i could do was watch this damned thing move closer to me. I finally was able to shake myself awake before "it" got me. These days i rarely ever sleep in the dark. Altho there have been times since then that i have, and sleep paralysis has ocurred, there were never any "things" trying to get me since then.

Something else i'd like to mention while we're on the topic. Have any of you guys ever started to drift asleep and started dreaming before you were fully unconcious? Furthermore, while in the process, has it ever felt terribly wrong wherever you were going in that dream? I can remember a few occasions where i was drifting off to a dream that has'nt even started yet, still something inside me made me jolt back awake in absolute fear.

I have a theory. Which is weird, cos i don't even believe it really, so you guys might not either. Some people think sleep paralysis is "demonic". I'm not sure if i believe in demons. However, you guys who have experienced sleep paralysis have to admit that if anything would come close to feeling like something was trying to posess you, that would be it. To me it makes perfect sense. Thats exactly what sleep paralysis feels like. Like somethings trying to take you over, but it can't quite pull it off. Well....at least if you wake yourself up, it can't quite pull it off. I guess the big question is...what happens if you can't wake up? Does it posess you? Most of us wake up, right? What about emily rose? Was'nt she in bed when everything started? Maybe she could'nt wake up. Anyways, its just a theory. I might do some research and see what i can find.

As for the thread starter, yes, i believe all the times this has occurred my curtains were wide open.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Something else i'd like to mention while we're on the topic. Have any of you guys ever started to drift asleep and started dreaming before you were fully unconcious? Furthermore, while in the process, has it ever felt terribly wrong wherever you were going in that dream? I can remember a few occasions where i was drifting off to a dream that has'nt even started yet, still something inside me made me jolt back awake in absolute fear.

This happens to me too. I think I quickly try to get out of it bc I think i am going to have a nightmare.

As for the demon theory. I have wondered this. I don't like to wonder it though ! When it happens to me, there is sometimes a feeling of complete terror. I think there are entitiies in my room trying to take me. But the next day, it seems stupid to think that, but when it is happeneing it is quite "real".

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Yeah violet, thats exactly it. I KNOW a nightmare is coming, so i force myself awake. As far as the demon theory, these days theres a medical explanation for just about everything. However, theres always the "what if" that scares the hell out of me.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
no my curtains were tightly closed. i always keep them closed so no light comes in when i go to sleep. and thank goodness it hasnt happen to me for about six years now. i hated it just hated it.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hello gee Crowe, its so strange you mention this about dreaming before being awake, this is what happened to me this morning in fact! See I usually take my daughter to school come home and then I usually go for a nap! Today was different, I had the dreams start like you said it happened to you, before I was asleep! Strange feeling, and I didn't want to know where it was leading up too, since the surroundings, the voices and whatever was there, was not pleasant at all! I know I forced myself to gain control of it and jolted upright fully awake! As I lay back down, it happened again to me & then a third time! After about an hour 1/2 I did end up going to sleep, but with very vivid dreams! Nothing that seemed important though!
But just had to mention I do know what your talking about! I usually sleep with a Bible touching my solar plexus, because of a real awful experience I had a way back, which caused me to sleep with the light on & tv on for quite some time! I wasn't sleeping well because of doing so, so I got good and angry at these beings that caused it in the first place, and told my self enough is enough! I refuse to let them do this to me! So I grabbed the Bible and haven't been bothered since! You know, this thing that happened today, come to think of it, it probably was trying to sneak back in, since I was napping in my daughters room, so I won't hear my hubby getting ready for work! Never thought to use the Bible when napping though! That for sure will change. So if you do believe in God the Bible sure helps to keep your focus! And to keep the evil ones a bay!
One person I know who has their Doctrine in Paranomal etc, said they know from research studies, that aliens/demons have even flung the Bible across the room! So its important to know & stand on the Scriptures, thats where the Power is! But I still like the Bible near me helps me focus!

Funny even Violet said about the 3AM thats the time I'm also abruptly awakened without fail! They say that is the hour the demons favor!
This all leads me to one thing, is that I'm so glad my kids are grown and I don't have to look for excuses if they were little, and if they would ask me Mommy are there such things as monsters? Gee when you think of everything, Aliens, Demons, Greys, Reptilians, etc it makes me glad I'm not a kid, with how easily all this information is so easy to attain on here & tv! long ago seemed so much more simple, but no wonder we were always afraid of the dark even then! We knew, even today kids know!
Thank God some day God Will Have His Revenge! Till then we together Will Win The Battle! Blessings Everyone! Sleep Tight!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

But just had to mention I do know what your talking about! I usually sleep with a Bible touching my solar plexus, because of a real awful experience I had a way back, which caused me to sleep with the light on & tv on for quite some time! I wasn't sleeping well because of doing so, so I got good and angry at these beings that caused it in the first place, and told my self enough is enough! I refuse to let them do this to me! So I grabbed the Bible and haven't been bothered since!

I had the same feeling of "having enough of it". It was around the early 90's, and seemed to be happening almost every night. I was scared to go to bed and go to sleep. I was also too ashamed to tell my husband about his silly fear, bc he would tease me. So I would get up & sit on the floor in the laundry room crying until daybreak, when it felt safer.

One night I decided that was it. Enough. I am not a religious person, but I worte a note to God, in case he really could read it. I planned to fight back when it began. I woke up and this paralysis , floating feeling was beginning. For once I was actually able to think quickly, due to my anger. I hooked my leg around my husband who was dead asleep, and this force, whatever it was, was trying to take me, but it couldn't. I remember I said "f^** off !.Go pick on someone else for a chamge, I am sick of it". Usually I can't even scream, bc my voice is gone too. It stopped, and did not happen again for about 6 years. I truly don't recall if I also said 'God please help me". But I do know I was desperately needing his help. I didn't say Jesus though. I know there was a time I put a Bible under my pillow, but honestly don't know if this was the same evening.

But this 3 am thing you mention is scary ! has it something to do with the Trinity ?

[edit on 15-2-2006 by violet]

[edit on 15-2-2006 by violet]

HS

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yarco, my opinion of sleep paralysis:

It happens because of sexual drive problems. It happened at night for me a couple of different times. It comes from a telepathic connection made with someone(s) who get in tight enough to have a touching contact with the image of yourself in the dream. How many times has anyone who reads this had the sensation that they were paralyzed because of another livng persons subconscious mind 'touching' their own? It can cause death just by the shock of not being able to wake up, and may be the reason for many elderly deaths where they die in their sleep because of a weakened subconscious. Plan on a good state of mind all your life, and to be happy, love and have a healthy curiousity are three 'tools' for doing that.

love ya all
Honor Seed

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm with Violet and Angel. I got good and pissed and told it too eff off and leave me alone and it did.

A few summers ago I was also being attacked. I could feel it get on the bed beside me or climb around my body when I was sleeping. When I tried to wake up it would freeze me. I couldn't yell or anything. But after this happened 4-5 times I got to where I could yell out. At first I would call out for Jesus and then the last time I got pissed at it and told it to never bother me in my house ever again. I also laid a bible out in my room that is open to Psalms.

I think they feed off your fear and once you become good and pissed at it, it no longer can feed off you.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have to disagree about it being sexual ! I know there are sexual entities that can attack, like the Movie "The Entity", but the symptoms of that are not the same, at least for me.

This is not a dream ! This is awakeneing from a sleep and being very aware you are awake, and unable to move, yet able to think and very conscious. You can see your room, and this is not OOBE either, you don't look down at your sleeping body. There is also a feeling of weightlessness, you feel light as a feather, but your head seems not so paralyzed.

And for me, there is a sense, although I cannot see anyone, that it is not one entity, being or person in my room, but 2 or 3 of them. It feels like they intrude to take me, not intrude to come and do something to me and stay in my room to do it. I know I even went through a phase, of expecting it, and almost giving into it, and thinking well I do seem to get brought back, so can you just do it and get it over with?

But also the fear that one day I won't be brought back. There is also a sense of missing time, but not always, but feeling like you got taken away for an hour or so. I would feel like i would awaken again awhile later and just knew instinctively it was over, and now I could sleep safely ... until the next time !

HS

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Sexual drive being accosted in a dream is not the same as having sex. Sexual drive is a combination of aggressive and survival drives at its' zenith. It is the way people release aggressive behavior and also procreate in order for their DNA to perpetuate survival drive.
This thing is, the fear that causes paralysis is similar to being raped, either gender. For this reason I continue efforts to block all telepathic incoming vibrations. Negativity from other living people far away or near is a fact of life. Whether your and my mind leave the body during sleep, or the minds of others come closing in on true happiness is not known. Could be like you go out and return with undesirables like you might do going to a bar.
Could be you meet halfway in the space between. Whichever, or all of the above it is, does not matter. I advise stopping dreaming if given the chance like I was and be more aware of those around you who may be massive 'funnels' for anxiety.

stay happy too,
Honor Seed

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow this is incredible, I didn't realize how many of us suffer with this! I too will say boy did I get mad, won't go into detail, lets just say violet you hit the nail on the head lol
HS you are so correct, I usually never like to talk about it, I don't want to give it any ground, it was gone for years, and just because I'm sharing and helping people on here, lets just say it tried to enter this morning in a dream! I'm talking about the sexual attacks, when it tried I know I got good and mad at this entity in the dream, and even commanded them to show their true form and it ended up showing an old hag - which I know wasn't its true form either, because I know it was a demon! I won't allow it, and most definite won't allow it to cause me to fear!
Maui I agree, and Amen on the Psalms! They are powerful! See today I was napping without the Bible as I usually do, since I nap in a different room, won't forget next time! Since I use the Bible touching my Solar Plexus I haven't been bothered by them!
But I hate it that I still have to sleep with the covers over my head and in a fetal position and only a small peek hole, I'm like geee I never had to do that ever, until that event a few years back! I haven't been the same since!
Gee one never hears about this like in real meetings, I bet If I held meetings here to help people a lot of people would show! Well maybe not at first, becuase it is hard to talk about being attacked like that by evil spirits! Just not the every day subject matter to most!
Well I will keep you all in my Prayers! Thanks for sharing and letting me know I am not alone in the battle Angel

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I know this thread is old, but I found it doing a search on sleep paralysis prompted from a more recent thread. I was really surprised that so many people have had similar experiences of crying out to God for help like I did...

As I was explaining on the other thread...

The second time it happened I managed to say "Jesus" through clenched teeth and automatically my arms that I had been trying to move flung apart and I was awake. The third time it happened was more difficult as my lip were closed. My fingers were near my mouth and I managed to move my fingers slowly toward my mouth so that I could part my lips and call out the name of Jesus. It seemed to take forever like I was moving 1mm per second, but as my fingers touched my lips, I again 'flung apart' if you understand what I mean (because I was clenching my muscles)

The fact that I am not alone makes me question whether or not sleep paralysis may be some kind of demonic attack?

Just for interests sake, seeing as we are analysing here...
I've had it during the afternoon and night and I've had it sleeping on my back and on my side. Fortunately I've only had it 3 times. I think after the last time when I was attempting to ask Jesus for help, whatever it was gave up.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I always have my blinds closed, no light gets in and I have terrible sleep paralysis experiences.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join