It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO for Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What a great idea.

Bring Israel into Nato, then if Iran or Syria attacks Israel she would not stand alone.

And this would give NATO a foothold or base in the middle east, I think this is a great idea, it will never happen, but still a great idea.

"quote"

NATO for Israel
A better response to Iran's threats.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

As diplomatic triumphs go, the referral of Iran to the U.N. Security Council by the International Atomic Energy Agency is very small beer. It came without a call to action, and even any U.N. debate was postponed to give Iran more time to embrace Russia's offer to let the mullahs enrich uranium under Moscow's auspices.

www.opinionjournal.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't think would be wise politically. It could lead to Israeli troops being deployed under the NATO banner in places like Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think Israel joining NATO would be a great. First of all, they would be under protection from it's neighbors (whom obviously pose a huge threat to Israel's security and have threatened to destroy Israel) I honestly don't see anything wrong with Israel joining NATO nor any reason for them not to.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I can think of a reason , the likely hood of Israel joining up then starting a war which would drag in other alliance members,effectively a means to an end for them , I wouldn't like to see it happen myself there is no need the US would step in if Israel were in a dire situation and dont they have some kind of mutual defence pact with turkey?.

And SIRR1 Nato(or at least Natos strongest two nations) already has a foot in the middle east, Iraq.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I think this is a test to see who would bite. The vote to forward Iran's case to the security counsel was under the pretext that the middle east should be free of nuclear weapons. This indirectly is also directed at Israel. Problem is that Israel without nuclear weapons would make Israel the local bunching bag for all those 'peace-loving' Muslim nations. Putting Israel in NATO would be the deterent Israel would need instead of being a nuclear power.
This is what I think is behind all this talk.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Yeah, if Israel is in NATO, they would have no need for nuclear weapons, which would clear the way for a nuclear-free Middle-East.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Yeah, if Israel is in NATO, they would have no need for nuclear weapons, which would clear the way for a nuclear-free Middle-East.

Why? If Israel joined Nato Syria , Iran and every one else with possible hostile intent would feel Threatend even more than they do now, and probably redouble ther WMD aspirations .

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
NATO is dead, its good for nothing now...
Plus, i doubt certain countries would like Israeli troops in their backyard.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo

Why? If Israel joined Nato Syria , Iran and every one else with possible hostile intent would feel Threatend even more than they do now, and probably redouble ther WMD aspirations .

When I mean they I mean the Israelis. The Israelis would have no need for nuclear weapons. Only Israel (currently) has nuclear weapons in the Mid-East right now.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

When I mean they I mean the Israelis. The Israelis would have no need for nuclear weapons. Only Israel (currently) has nuclear weapons in the Mid-East right now.

I realised that
what im saying is that if Israel joined Nato the rest of the Arab world would probably be up in arms about it, if any thing I think that the situation would worsen dramaticly and a cold war stlyle stand off would ensue (or worse), leaving Israel even more dependant on the need to retain its nuclear options, being in Nato wouldn't stop them being atacked with Wmd,and if that happend Im sure the Israeli people would want to to reserve the right to respond with there full capability(nuclear).

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This would only be possible if Israel concluded a negotiated settlement with the Palestinian. As that looks unlikely (Israel preferring to ignore UN resolutions and go for the "might is right" "facts on the ground" solution) it seems about as likely as Israel joining the EU.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
This would only be possible if Israel concluded a negotiated settlement with the Palestinian. As that looks unlikely (Israel preferring to ignore UN resolutions and go for the "might is right" "facts on the ground" solution) it seems about as likely as Israel joining the EU.

I agree with this
I think it would provoke a strong negative reaction in europe also , there are lots of people who disaprove of Israeli conduct,and like i said the Rest of Nato wouldn't risk completely alienating or (further) enflaming the rest of the middle east.

Its a non starter as far as im concerned, they are in the eurovision song contest though

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Putting political considerations aside in military terms NATO and Israel are heading in diifernt directions. IMO Irasel military would be geared up for a conventnal against the likes of Iran and not for peace keeping.

And therefore, we must dramatically modernise our armed forces. We must make them able to deploy to places like Afghanistan in much larger numbers, if the political situation makes that necessary. Such a restructuring will take some time, and therefore we must start now, and act vigorously. We have no choice.

link

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
the most important fact is alot of countries that are in NATO are also based in arab countries if israel where to join NATO all countries that have bases in arab or muslim countries could be booted out of the region by the muslim or arab governments.

also this could force alot of muslim countries and arab countries to ally themselves with russia and china which would mean the arabs and muslims would spend tens of billions of dollars a year of buying weopons from russia and china instead becuae right now these guys are buying western weopons but this could change inturn strenghting the economy and woepons facilities in russia and china.

the article in the first post is just an opionion by a pro-israeli person who is thinking with loyalty rather then logic. fact is israel joining NATO is more of a disadvantage for NATO countries then a advantage.

also another fact that needs to be thrown in all the wars carried out against arab/muslims and occupation is usally done by countries who are a part of nato america,britian etc... if these countries also are allied with israel through NATO this could look like a war against islam spear headed by israel which would cause more people to become insurgets and geurillas and support actions against the west. just something to think about.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Works perfectly in line with the coming war in the mid east. "Grumble"

Lets me see
Cartoon violence
English soldiers beating Iraqi kids
More wonderful torture photos
Hamas
Israel joining NATO yep, doesn’t take much creativity to connect the dots.

join