It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thats Right! Kazaa sues the RIAA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I was laughing my head when I read this

Description
The makers of Kazaa media software, the program facing legal action from the RIAA, have caught the Recording Industry Association of America and a number of entertainment companies by surprise by suing them for copyright infringement.

Earlier this week Sharman Networks, the distributors of Kazaa, accused the RIAA and several entertainment companies of violating its copyrights by using the unauthorized Kazaa Lite in order to discover the IP addresses of alleged music downloaders. According to Sharman Networks ...

Rest of Article

I don't think they saw that coming! I hope Sharman Networks manage to win this case. It will be a real kick in the 'nads for the RIAA.

[Edited on 4-10-2003 by MrEisenhower]

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Considering that the majorty of congress is in the RIAAs back pocket (or at least in thier checkbook) I kind of doubt that they will win the case, although I would LOVE to see it happen!

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
RIAA what goes around comes around. I hope they learn their leasson the hard way.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Music has got mucked up its about the money for to many people now and there latest sick looking "designer" oufit i think its pathetic.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
While I agree with everything written above here the fact is stealing is stealing.

It is a shame that industry has made the music business what it is today, a few lucky ones with minimal talent in many cases too rich.

This has been the recipe for highest profits in the industry as per MBA analysis.

But any strategy has a counter action and the weakness has been technology which the industry cannot control. In the past it was easier for them.

The only way out is for the industry to diversify and use the technology to its advantage. The aim being to give the consumer more value for their hard earned dollars spent. Will they rise to the occasion or will the needs of the elite 'brainwashing controllers' be deemed more important in the future?

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
According to one of the latest "Q" magazines, artists (British ones, as far as I know) believe that P2P sharing is something that can be used to the artists advantage. The band Radiohead currently support/approve of P2P file sharing. Which is quite a brave statement to make, IMO. Seeing they are one of the largest bands in the world.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yeh i agree THENEO if they dont want people to listen to it which is pathetic it is stealing.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Did I read the article correctly to say that Kazaa Lite++ was actually a RIAA front to collect I.P.s?
If that is correct, then all of the people who switched to lite were duped into giving all of their info to the people who want to sue them.... that sux.

BG

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
MrE.

what you said is a good point and a good use of the technology that can help everyone.

that was one thing I mentioned in my earlier post.

Fitz,

hey I'm not innocent in all this.

but I have to be honest.

the interesting thing about swapping is that it isn't what it is cracked up to be anyways,

I mean #ty quality files, long down load times, inability to find songs you want, and they tying up of computer and internet hardly makes it worth it most of the time.

but this is an opportunity for the industry to do something.

I started with records which I still like best by the way,
and we taped them. But I had no problem buying records because they sounded good and they were not that expensive and there was so much good stuff to buy. We never made copies on tape to sell and usually the tape ended up in the car anyways.

If an album was really good we would buy it anyways for the sound quality and of course the jacket. Many jackets had great art, good notes and sometimes other goodies. Today what do you get with a tape or CD? Crap that's all.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:31 PM
link   
THENEO where abouts do u you live and how much do singles cost there.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
If an album was really good we would buy it anyways for the sound quality and of course the jacket.

Very true, Nothing can replace having the original Album on CD, or Vinyl (not tape, because they suck
)

I'm sure the reason why some people download is because of the immediate accessibilty of the music. Whats better than having music presented to you on a plate when you want it?

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Onli one thing to do...

ceeelebrate good times come on!

top topics

join