It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Wikipedia is Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wikipedia is one of my favorite sites, despite the current cyber-wars and criticisms.

Now, it seems to be shut down - I can't access by direct link, or through secondary ones like onelook.

Can someone pick this up and investigate? I can't do it.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
It's working for me:

en.wikipedia.org...

edit: Ok, I can't get past the first few main pages.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I get frontpage and its direct links, but beyond that, nothing. WTF, mate?

Cyber-war get out of control?

The Swiss, perhaps?

DE

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
It's working for me:

en.wikipedia.org...

Not me. I clicked on your link and got "fatal error" - same as I've been seeing for the last half hour.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
It says this when I try to get to it directly

" You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. "

I can however, get to it indirectly. Like if I search for a subject, wikipedia. Then I can get to the home page.

Who knows, maybe the gov. is going through it right now and making sure it says everything they want it to say. hehehe

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Hmmm.

It almost seems like censorship by geographical location...

Anybody else? ...I'm in Canada.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I can get to the main page, not the Wikiquote or anything like that. Can't search, and beyond the front page thingy, I get the following:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function dba_open() in /usr/local/apache/common-local/php-1.5/includes/Title.php on line 436

Send help.

DE

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
HA that is totaly it! Your in Canada, so you cant get to it at all. Im in the US, there are a lot of loop holes here.

Send help!?! Yep that has a govt conspiricy in the making written all over it.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'm in Australia and get,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: dba_open() in /usr/local/apache/common-local/php-1.5/includes/Title.php on line 436
whatever that means.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Just got a new one:

WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION
Fout Fel Fallo 错误 錯誤 Erreur Error Fehler エラー Błąd Errore Erro
English

The Wikimedia Foundation servers are currently experiencing technical difficulties.

The problem is most likely temporary and will hopefully be fixed soon. Please check back in a few minutes.

For further information, you can visit the #wikipedia channel on the Freenode IRC network.

In the meantime, you may be able to view Google's cached version of this page.

ed. Yipes. Got more than I expected.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Yep, Sofi ... that's what I've been getting.

The Universal Language 404 Error page.

Perhaps it's just the Serpo folks hacking in to clean up after the recent influx of edits and additions.

[edit on 2/13/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Everything works fine for me.

You should get where ever you want on wiki now.

(BTW: I do not think some wki problems are "breaking news"
)

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

(BTW: I do not think some wki problems are "breaking news"
)

I on the other hand consider anything that may affect Internet freedoms and our freedom to access information to be world news.

I also think there are conspiracies afoot to kill Open Source and Open Access - and attacking sites like Indymedia and Wikipedia is but the tip of the iceberg. Conspiracy being the theme of ATS and all that.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
ACK! I can't access wikipedia! That's one of my favorite sites on the net!

On another popular website being down note.... myspace has had this maintence message since my guess is about 8 or 9 est last night.

Site will be down for maintenance from 2:00AM PST to around 4:00AM PST. February 13, 2006.

I've never seen wiki or myspace down for this long.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
I on the other hand consider anything that may affect Internet freedoms and our freedom to access information to be world news.

I also think there are conspiracies afoot to kill Open Source and Open Access - and attacking sites like Indymedia and Wikipedia is but the tip of the iceberg. Conspiracy being the theme of ATS and all that.

it seems they arent the only sites that would be attacked - news.bbc.co.uk...
coincidence?

i personally take exception to another country dictating what i can & cant view - if they want to block america's access to certain sites like china does thats fine but leave the rest of the world out of it. some of us value our freedom to surf

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
hehe You know, websites do occasionally go down. When it happens on a Sunday night or early Monday morning, you usually have to find somewhere else to surf for several hours. If something happened to their servers, a malicious hacker, or a virus nailed them, they're probably going to have to restore from their backups, which, for a site that huge, will take hours.

Don't worry, the internet isn't broken

By the way, www.hrwiki.org is still working
That's what really matters, no?

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Cyber Storm reportedly not only tested against attacks by hackers, but also by bloggers - who deliberately spread misinformation in the exercise.

soficrow, is there something you'd like to tell us?

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

Originally posted by soficrow

it seems they arent the only sites that would be attacked - news.bbc.co.uk...
coincidence?

i personally take exception to another country dictating what i can & cant view - ...

Great link justyc. Thanks.

I does look like wiki's shutdown might be part of a bigger strategy.

Wiki is still down - but was directed to freenode:

freenode is a special-purpose, not a general-purpose, discussion network, currently implemented on Internet Relay Chat (IRC). It exists to support specific communities. It provides an interactive environment for coordination and support of peer-directed projects, including those relating to free software and open source. Our aim is to help our participants to improve their communicative and collaborative skills and to maintain a friendly, efficient environment for project coordination and technical support. For more information about the network philosophy, please take a look here.

freenode.net...

[edit on 13-2-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Perhaps the Whitehouse didn't like the write up on "Cheney shoots lawyer" and targetted Wiki with Cyber Storm.

Wiki frontpage works here, although I can't search for anything or I get:

The Wikimedia Foundation servers are currently experiencing technical difficulties.

The problem is most likely temporary and will hopefully be fixed soon. Please check back in a few minutes.

For further information, you can visit the #wikipedia channel on the Freenode IRC network.

In the meantime, you may be able to view Google's cached version of this page.

Wikipedia is now one of the most visited sites on the Internet by traffic and continues to grow, and as a result the Wikimedia Foundation has a constant need to purchase new hardware. If you would like to help, please donate.

Kind of a pain, since I use it a lot too.

Here's an alternate site, if you need to see Wiki articles it mirrors them:
www.answers.com...

edit: Spoke too soon. Went to recheck Wiki and can't get anything but the Wikimedia is down screen. Then it came up again and still no search ability.

Maybe it needs some Thorazine to end its wikischizophrenia....paging Dr. Freud.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Articles are still up, only some images and Wikinews aren't working for me right now. It'll be fixed by the end of the day.

Regen, I can still search. That's weird. Must be some location specific servers that are down.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by sardion2000]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join