It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year Old Student Charged with Felony Sugar Possession

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

www.suntimes.com...

A 12-year-old Aurora boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project this week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug, Aurora police have confirmed.

The sixth-grade student at Waldo Middle School was also suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said he brought the bag to school to ask his science teacher if he could run an experiment using sugar.

:shk:

When is this crap going to stop?

I don't necessarily believe the student's explanation, but I certainly don't support the charges brought against the kid. There's such a thing as parental discipline, nine times out of ten it's a better route to go to avoid the courts and all the expense that entails.

There's something fundamentally wrong with a society that expects prisons to raise their youngsters.

How about this story? 10 year old kid thought he was passing out candies he found at his bus stop, turned out to be extasy. Charges haven't been filed yet, but I suspect they'll give him a lobotomy and throw him in the tower dungeon.

www.thehawaiichannel.com...

When are people going to tire of this state of affairs?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Unbelievable. So it's a crime to carry something that looks like drugs? I think criminalizing drugs is wrong to begin with, but this... this is just unbelievable. I mean, what the hell are they thinking with a law like that? There are countless things that could be misconstrued as drugs. Guess they better ban sugar, salt, all sorts of leaves, talcum powder and everything else that is white, powdery or leafy.

Case needs to be thrown out of court and whoever wrote and passed the law needs to be thrown out of office.

And it doesn't matter what the kid's purpose of using the sugar for was. It's not drugs. It shouldn't be illegal. The end.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Sugar can cause diabetes.

It is evil

I'm a sugar user, I put it in my coffee, don't work well in a bong.
And snorting it, forget it, turns to syrup.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You continue to amaze me with your 'nose for news'......

This is just a mind boggler. I don't get it at all. Something of this nature should have been dealt with in-house.....once the school realized that it really was just sugar, why bring in the police? Facts have to be obtained prior to calling in the law enforcement....why the knee-jerk reaction by school authority?

I just can't make heads or tails of the minds reacting to this situation...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I am stunned.

My face is

I can NOT believe this is actually going on.... I mean you gotta be KIDDING ME

But the link shows the truth........this is REDICULOUS.......

Dumb & Dumber to be follwed by Stupider & STUPIDER I guess........

WHO THEY HECK PUT THESE LOUTS IN CHARGE??????

TRG*stomps off all indignant like................."grrrrrrrrrrrrumble grumble"

[edit on 12-2-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think that 5 years probation if this kid is convicted is pushing it to the extreme .

If the kid has a pretty normal upbringing, I would think this situation of being charged and expelled(also extreme) would be enough to scare the crap out of him already.

The chance of being on probation from the age of twelve to seventeen could cause all sorts of ramifications in his future that would not necessarily deem positive .

Probably, just a normal kid trying to be cool and impress his friends and also, perhaps telling the truth about his science research

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Whether it was for a science project or he was joking it was coc aine, there should be no difference. The reason for the ban on lookalike drugs is dealers that sell sugar pills instead of real drugs and can't actually be charged with selling drugs because they didn't sell drugs. So they can nail them with selling things that are alleged to be drugs with this law. I say the law is stupid in that case as well, but at the very least should be modified to only cover sale of drugs. This kid was not trying to sell the sugar as coc aine, he was just bragging and being silly like kids do.

This case should be thrown out immediately and the kid should be compensated by the school who was too stupid to deal with it themselves and called the cops.

Zero tolerance is zero intelligence.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Unbelievable. So it's a crime to carry something that looks like drugs?

I wouldn't think there would be a law like that. usually, drug dealers would try to hide their drugs by making their substances look like an ordinary substance.

the way I see it, this sort of thing is just a minor taste of how the authorities can come up with some sort of totally BS story to conduct probation/therapy/whatever else they want on people.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is just more proof of a slow descent into NWO. The more bs laws=the more bs arrests.

WTF is this country coming to. I have no more faith in the judicial system.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
WTF is this country coming to. I have no more faith in the judicial system.

Give the judicial system a chance. He hasn't gone before a judge yet. The legislative system should be blamed in this case.

Not that the judicial system is good either, but hopefully this will get thrown out.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Kids won't learn if you don't punish them. Either give in to a group of disobediant brats or smack them so they at least act straight in your presence.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Frosty]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
In the USSR of 1930th if, for example, a hammer has been found in your room, you could have been charged with plotting a murder of Stalin. If a saw has been found - you've been plotting a rail-road diversion, etc...

Isn't this thing slowly returning?

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Kids won't learn if you don't punish them. Either give in to a group of disobediant brats or smack them so they at least act straight in your presence.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Frosty]

You must be joking Frosty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad I live in Canada. But I soon may not be, seeing as we have Harper at the helm.

I wonder how long its gonna take before it is "illegal" to walk down the sidewalk.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Hell, when I was in school 10 years ago,
My retiring chem prof. showed me and a friend how to make gunpowder

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This is a link to the high school page.

I ask each of you that are against this to please call them or mail them and POLITELY ask for them to ask for charges to be dropped and reinstate the kid in school.

WE must stand against actions that are wrong.

Also if anyone can help get this to national media, (calling talk shows, reporting it, etc) please do.

I beleive this is the local courthouse address also.

Kane County Courthouse
719 S Batavia Ave, Geneva, IL
(630) 232-3400

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Xerrog]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Perhaps the cops arrested the kid to make a quota (or just to stamp authority like a lot do)...I know that cops in the states have a certain quota in tickets/arrests that they have to make. My good friend in Florida, his brother is a cop and he told me that he parks in Best Buy (an electronics store), and waits for people to pull up their cars/trucks to load large appliances that can't be carried to the car....He then gives them a ticket for parking in a fire safety zone, he told me that they are told to do things like this to meet their quotas.
....... things like these tickets are just fund-raising techniques....They do it here in the UK too with all the damn cameras everywhere, if you do over 35MPH in some areas at 3 A.M. when no one is on the road, they still send you a ticket in the mail, and then tell you its to protect everyone...(yeah at 3 A.M. i could knock over a kid playing football in the street doing 36MPH in a 30)...

This all just proves our government and its workers thirst for power and control over the masses.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Guess they better ban sugar, salt, all sorts of leaves, talcum powder and everything else that is white, powdery or leafy.

I better clean out my spice cabinet. Sage, Oregano...

From the article:

The school handbook states that students can be suspended or expelled for carrying a look-alike drug.

I find it interesting that they use the term "look-alike drug". That sounds like it's actually a drug. They should use the term "drug look-alike". It's NOT a drug!

This is ridiculous! Absolutely unacceptable! Carrying sugar is NOT illegal!

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The school and authorities went too far with the discipline on this. It's likely the kid was pretending it was drugs to be cool even though in reality it was for a project and should be disciplined for that but for suspension and a felony is ridiculous. It doesn't pay to even joke around because drugs are a serious issue today.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I have always believed that we (the state) grow the very problem we assert we are trying to fix... and now it appears some in the field are agreeing...

Long-term care 'harms children'

Placing children in long-term care is in itself "an act of abuse", according to a leading professor of paediatrics.

Speaking at a science conference in St Louis, US, Professor Dana Johnson said that even a week in an institution could be detrimental...

"Children in institutional care have deteriorations in many things that we want to see children improve in during the earliest years of their life," he said.

"Their cognitive abilities are lower, their growth is terrible and their brain development is abnormal as well."

The whole "look-a-like-drug" thing and the institutionalizations described above are classic examples of how we have moved from a common sense approach to raising our children to a paint-by-numbers approach that forgets the young and delicate minds that are the subject of these policies.

What lessons will this child learn about authority....justice...fairness...scale of consequence in relationship to one's actions???

In my view, reactions like this one are no different than the hysteria demonstrated by other cultures who routinely perpetrate unspeakable horrors upon children...

Thousands of child 'witches' turned on to the streets to starve

Naomi is 15 but looks 10. A horrible burn scar shrivels the skin across her chest and shoulder. She had a broken leg, now reset. But her face is calm; she speaks clearly. The physical scars are nothing compared with the trauma she has been through. She is one of the so-called child witches of Kinshasa, rejected by her family and community at six years old and left to survive on the streets.

Once she had four siblings and lived with her parents across the river in Brazzaville. Her father died and then her mother. She had to live with her grandfather and aunt, who did not want her. 'Grandfather become sick and my aunt accused me of being a witch. She said, "Why is everyone around sick? They are suffering because of you." Grandfather gave me special water to drink, but it made no difference.

'My aunt said I must leave. The neighbours beat me and burnt me. They said either you must admit to being a witch or we will kill you. There is no place for you here. I went to the church, but they gave me water to drink that made me sick. I said to neighbours, let me sleep somewhere, even in your toilet, but they refused. I was caught by some soldiers and they said, you are a witch - we saw you flying with birds. They said they were going to kill me, but I escaped.'

Sometimes I wonder whether humans are the biological equivalent to hamsters that eat their young.

:shk:

What a pathetic situation we find ourselves in...

[edit on 18-2-2006 by loam]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I guess i cant put oregano on my sandwich at school anymore... one of the teachers might think im having a marijuana sandwich.

Whats happening to society. Everyone became so overprotective over everything. 5 years probation for a look alike drug is longer then what people i know have gotten for REAL drugs.

I think im going to start a new country somewhere. This whole countrys going nuts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join