It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How big is the sun ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hello

I heard from some paper that wrote the sun would fit over 20 million earth`s inside it .

And I was like :O

Anyway , I am wondering how big the sun is ... aproxx 20 earth`s ?

Please answer this question

Thanks in advance

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's Mean Diameter is 1.392x10 to the 6th power, or 1,392,000,000 kms in diameter, which is 109 earths.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thank you my friend

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
There's something wrong with the equation you used, WolfofWar. Normally, I'd correct you, but I'm feeling lazy and this could be a learning experience.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
According to curious.astro.cornell.edu you can fit 1 million Earths into the sun.

The Sun has a radius 100 times that of the Earth which means that about 1,000,000 (1 million) Earths would fit into the Sun!

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
And our sun isn't that big compared with stars like Betelgeuse (beetle juice).

library.thinkquest.org...

One supergiant, Betelgeuse, becomes larger and smaller in diameter, sometimes reaching almost 600 times the diameter of the Sun. If the Sun grew to the size of Betelgeuse, it would swallow up Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
There's something wrong with the equation you used, WolfofWar. Normally, I'd correct you, but I'm feeling lazy and this could be a learning experience.

*shrug*

Blame Wikipedia, Not me.

Then again, I'm not the Forum's subject matter expert, so take it away.

All I really know is its big, and hot, and will destroy us all.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Then again, I'm not the Forum's subject matter expert, so take it away.

I was just refering to how you found the diameter (correctly, might I add), but it should have been the volume you were looking for. Umbrax got it though. Also, notice the tags.

All I really know is its big, and hot, and will destroy us all.

Yes... Yes it will... I can see it now, there in the sky, silently mouthing the words, "Fear me..."

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I have a question...whats the biggest star right now known to man? Describe its size?

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's in the Pistol Nebula... If memory serves me right it's about 100 times as massive and 10-million times as bright as the Sun. There's a good chance I could be wrong on that though.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
www.space.com...
the stars name is LBV 1806-20 and is 150 times the mass of our sun and
shins up to a million times brighter.
so if you could fit 1million earths into our sun and this sun is 150 times more massive that would come out to trillions of earths .
this sun shouldent even excist acording to know physics.
and the whole area of space in this sector has manny funky stars .

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow thanks for the info to both of you. It would seem this star is bigger than the Pistol star as cmdrkeenkid mentioned. Of course as the article mentions some theories as to why this star is still in existence, possibly affected by nearby stars.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well, in any case, at 150 times the mass - it's going to be hell of a short-lived star. Remember, bigger means younger. The bigger a star is, the shorter it'll stay around for, since it burns up its fuel faster.

A star 150 times the mass of the sun though, shouldn't it collapse into a black hole almost immediately?

I think that they'll probably study it in order to determine how the cores of stars work. Assuming that the core is itself larger, then the mass/area may stay just above enough to cause it to collapse in on itself. This is, weakly, held up by fusion reactions so vigorously taking place within it.

Of course, when this sucker blows, it'll be one heck of a bang!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gamerman
Hello

I heard from some paper that wrote the sun would fit over 20 million earth`s inside it .

And I was like :O

Anyway , I am wondering how big the sun is ... aproxx 20 earth`s ?

Please answer this question

Thanks in advance

i know off top of my head that its 1.39 million km. wide and 110 earths wide. from school.

MOD EDIT: Please do not harass fellow members. Also, you might want to read the ATS Board Terms and Conditions of Use

[edit on 2/15/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
www.space.com...
50 times the mass of our sun and shins up to a million times brighter.

Article says " It shines up to 40 million times brighter than the Sun"

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Just for perspective

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
www.space.com...
the stars name is LBV 1806-20 and is 150 times the mass of our sun and
shins up to a million times brighter.
so if you could fit 1million earths into our sun and this sun is 150 times more massive that would come out to trillions of earths .
this sun shouldent even excist acording to know physics.
and the whole area of space in this sector has manny funky stars .

Actually, they think it could be 40 million times brighter, but all of this is not known at the time. Another thing that's not known is if it's actually just 1 star. Read this quote;

"The high-resolution data prove that the object is not simply a cluster of lower mass stars, although it is possible that it is a collection of a few stars in a tight orbit around each other," Figer said. "More study will be needed to determine the distance and singularity of the object in order to establish whether the object is truly the most massive star known."

[edit on 17-2-2006 by trudginup]

new topics

top topics

join