It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dick Cheney Accidentally Shoots Hunting Partner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Does anybody reckon this classifies as a 'Friendly Fire' incident or not

Don't send Cheney to the frontlines.....

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Why the gap in time? Trying to cover it up? I read in another "Cheney " thread that it was Scooter he was hunting with under a different name and it was the Scoot who got shot.

Can someone verify this?

He's have reason to shoot scooter.

apc

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There are any number of reasons why there would be a delay in press release...

I mean... if you shot your friend, would the first thing you do is run to the news agencies to let them know? Or would you spend some time to make sure your friend was ok? Or spend some time making sure the family members were all made aware of the situation before seeing it on the television?

Sure... its possible there was a delay introduced to allow more time to manipulate the facts, but there is no reason to assume that this is the case when there are far more plausible explanations. Does it really even matter?

I dont think this should bring about any sort of modification to gun or hunting regulations. Hunting is typically a method of population control for animals living on a reserve. If people are not allowed to enter and thin out the numbers (with a limited amount of kills) then the numbers explode and the entire population suffers. If the hunting takes place on private land, the animals are legally property of the owner to do with what he pleases (void of abuse). And yes... people do eat the birds.

It was a 28guage round at a decent range. The result was likely comparable to being shot with a BB gun. It was an overly common accident. If it wasnt a top political figure it might not have even made the local newspaper.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

o.p. by OMS
Period. Finis. Done. No argument; no room for argument. If a shooter shoots something he/she does not mean to shoot, it means the shooter screwed up.

This is really the bottom line. Especially when hunting covey-grouped flushing birds like quail. How many posters to this thread have ever hunted quail? A 28 gauge is considered a 'sporting gun' for quail hunting because it is light and less powerful than a 12 or 20 gauge, giving the birds a greater chance of escape, and requiring a more proficient shooter. If I am not mistaken, the only smaller bore shotgun available is the .410, and he was probably using 6 or even 8 loads, lots of small pellets, and they can do plenty of damage, and be difficult to remove, if you are hit by them from 30 yards.

When a covey of quail flush, they literally explode from the brush, or wherever they are hiding. It is loud and exciting, and can even be a little unnerving if they surprise you, which they almost always do. The first rule under these circumstances is: know where everyone else in your hunting party is located. If you don't know, or aren't sure, don't shoot.

It is miserable and pathetic that members like Grady and shots are jumping to the defense of the shooter because it is their beloved Dick Cheney. How did you hold on to all of your articles anyway, shots? You should have gone down with your partner, imo.

Again imo, Dick Cheney should become a vegetarian.

Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad hunter

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I can't believe this! This kind of idiocy in firearms owners is inexcusable! I am just aghast! He should have his firearms removed.

People make mistakes Heretic....and quite a few of those mistakes can cause harm or kill people. IMO the idiocy is to "remove" or "ban" anything that can cause harm or kill people....because pretty much anything can cause harm or death to others if we are not careful.

It is also my opinion that reactions like yours are just an excuse by the "anti-gun lobby" to try to take away our right to own and bear arms.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The following link is all one needs to know about shotguns.

28 gauge

a 28 gauge is not smaller that a 410............it is a significant load.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I have hunted since I was a kid. Never shot anyone though. I've been this season. But quail hunting isn't that good in a dry winter. I prefer pheasant and deer.

I only hunt with 4 other people; and my brothers don't even make the list. Like any extreme sport, it can be dangerous if you do it in the company of idiots---so can skateboarding.

In my home town, there was this saying:

Serious Hunters don't Drink. Serious Drinkers don't Hunt.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I didn't say a 28 gauge is smaller than a .410, I said

If I am not mistaken, the only smaller bore shotgun available is the .410

meaning a 28 gauge is bigger than a .410, and smaller than a 20 gauge.

Also, the questions about the truck and driver/witness - often, when a bunch of older guys go quail hunting, they drive around doing what is called spot and stalk - in other words, they drive around until they see a covey, then they get out of the vehicle and chase after it until it busts up and scatters or flies out of range. Then they get back in the truck and repeat the process.

I question the wisdom of VPDC running around quail hunting at all after, what is it, 4 heart attacks, 2 pacemakers, and bulging leg veins? He is just asking for trouble. No wonder they have all the EMTs and ambulance following along. That must be quite a sight, VPDC and his medical entourage traipsing around the Corpus Christi boondocks chasing after quail. I wonder how many taxpayer dollars were spent on that little adventure? Nice to see our money at work protecting our elected leaders while they go quail hunting and shoot up their friends.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It wasn't that he shot someone. It was the sneaking, sculking around, silly, irresponsible way the vp handled the whole situation. This is just par for Bush and cronies Inc.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man in Texas on a hunting trip today. .

He shot him Saturday the 11th, the story didn't get released until about 3:30 central time sunday.

Almost 24 hours passed before it was let out.

This is the thread, which when pulled, could unravel the fabricated woolen socks of deception, which warm the tails of these snakes...

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
It must have been one of those lady Remington deluxe 28 gauge shottys, you know, the ones with the lipstick holder in place of a bandolier.

Poor Cheney, he will NEVER live this down.

Do you think it WAS Scooter?! That would be bizarre! I don't think that's the case, but there's an easy way to find out. Check him out in the next trial segment on CSpan, see if he's got a bandage across his face.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Now why do you think the Ambassador to Switzerland was in this hunting party?

An Austin attorney might have the inside scoop on what's happening with Delay's MONEY LAUNDERING trial too? That's where the trial is underway, jury selection started last week.

Switzerland pressures US ambassador over CIA flights
Dec 17 3:58 PM US/Eastern
www.breitbart.com...

United States diplomats have been pressured to provide details about suspected CIA aircraft transiting Swiss territory with terrorist suspects on board, the Swiss foreign ministry said.

Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy Rey called in the US ambassador to Switzerland, Pamela Willeford, this week to stress her desire for precise information about the matter, particularly the passengers of the CIA flights, foreign ministry spokesman Lars Knuchel said.

The public prosecutor's office on Friday announced its own investigation based on a "well-founded suspicion" that illegal acts were committed on Swiss soil by a foreign state.

Holding the bag?

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
It wasn't that he shot someone. It was the sneaking, sculking around, silly, irresponsible way the vp handled the whole situation. This is just par for Bush and cronies Inc.

What a load (28 gauge . . .)

What was Cheney supposed to do, surrender to the media?

Nobody owes information to the free press. It's their job to ferret out news. It was handled the way it should have been: The victim's family called a newspaper of their choice when they had gotten over the initial shock and felt ready to deal with a pack of newshounds standing in the hospital hallway for the next month.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
What was Cheney supposed to do, surrender to the media?.

Texas law states your required to report all shooting accidents immediately and Dead Eye Dick seems to have forgotten that aspect. Since police reports are public record and reporters monitor the police dispatch, there isn't much ferreting needed.

ex. Penal Code § 6.03

© A person acts recklessly, or is reckless, with respect to circumstances surrounding his conduct or the result of his conduct when he is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint.

(d) A person acts with criminal negligence, or is criminally negligent, with respect to circumstances surrounding his conduct or the result of his conduct when he ought to be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor's standpoint.

Texas Sheriff Barred From Interviewing Cheney About Shooting Incident
Sorry Sheriff, no blood alcohol test this time as required in all hunting incidents.

Of course if you're "Drunk Off Your Butt, Above the Law, Elmer Fudd Cheney", you'd blame the victim, don't report it to the authorities, ignore the sheriff, run from the scene and confront the victim at bedside to be quiet or you will shoot him again.

So the question is if Whittington was shot dead would we of heard about it?

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Despite my earlier joking comment about a "girlie gun", I don't find anything particularly ominous about the near 24 hour reporting delay. The only thing I saw that seemed strange was the fact the friend was still in the critical care facility at the local hospital--even though he was talking to the other members of the hunting party immediately after the accident. It just seemed like a good way to keep him away from the press for a day or so.

As far as the medical entourage traipsing after Cheney, they would be following him no matter where he was, so that doesn't seem out of place either. Naw, just a really embarassing incident for the VP to have to explain. Like someone said, he'll probably never live it down.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Texas law states your required to report all shooting accidents immediately and Dead Eye Dick seems to have forgotten that aspect. Since police reports are public record and reporters monitor the police dispatch, there isn't much ferreting needed.

It's the Doctor who is required to file a police report, not the shooter, vic, or bystander.

Unless you are being detained, or are under arrest, law enforcement cannot compel you to answer questions. It is considered extremely poor form to refuse, and your refusal can be noted in court proceedings. But it isn't a subversion of justice per se.

But hey, it sounds better if we can paint him a coward or some kind of suspect. . . . .

[edit on 13-2-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

It's the Doctor who is required to file a police report, not the shooter, vic, or bystander.

Bzzt wrong answer, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200:
You had better report shooting someone by accident or you will be charged with criminal negligence or worse. Same goes for running someone over with a car.

22.05. DEADLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an
offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in
imminent danger of serious bodily injury.
(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly discharges a
firearm at or in the direction of:
(1) one or more individuals; or
(2) a habitation, building, or vehicle and is reckless
as to whether the habitation, building, or vehicle is occupied.
(c) Recklessness and danger are presumed if the actor
knowingly pointed a firearm at or in the direction of another
whether or not the actor believed the firearm to be loaded.
(d) For purposes of this section, "building," "habitation,"
and "vehicle" have the meanings assigned those terms by Section
(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A
misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the
third degree.

Another aspect is what was Cheney really shooting at if Whittington "just" bagged a bird. These quail must be deaf and don't scatter for 100's of yards like the ones I have hunted, when you discharge a shotgun in the area.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dont get how anyone sprayed with birdshot at a distance of 30 yards can be doing fine.

I have a hard time putting a mental picture of him in my mind looking just fine. The guy was hit with birdshot at 30 yards. He's not just fine.

How would you like to be next in que for a hunting trip with Cheney?

Here's a thought; Would you rather....

a) Be Dick Cheney's hunting partner

b) Be O J Simpson's golf caddie

or c) Be a little boy at the Neverland Ranch. Back when Michael lived there.

You sure dont want to be in the line of fire of THAT Dick!

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

What was Cheney supposed to do, surrender to the media?

Nobody owes information to the free press. It's their job to ferret out news.

That's why the Bush administration's approval rating is 39%

Bush and Cheney are piddling little men.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Genfinity you are speaking of a 28 gauge shotgun which only holds about an ounce, or less, of shot. Further, most quail guns are open bored, i.e., the shot disperses rapidly. At a range of 30 yards, which would be near the limit of that little gun to bring down a bird, if not already past the limit, the shot has dispersed to the point that very few pellets would actually hit the man's head. Those that hit his clothing would have been stopped by the clothing. Those that hit his head would probably not have penetrated the skin far enough to do any real damage unless they hit an eye. Moreover, considering that the pellets were probably Nr. 6 or smaller--i.e., quite a bit smaller than a standard BB, they would have been slowed considerably by air friction at that range.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join