It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LCD versus PLASMA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Hey everyone,
I am thinking of getting a new tv but am having trouble deciding on an LCD or Plasma, I'm thinking of a 40" or larger set, one I could hang from a wall.I have read some reviews on both and they seem pretty close in comparison.
I was wondering if I could get some other views from members that have/had a Plasma or LCD tv, and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance guy's
Dust

(sorry Mods, if this doesn't belong here give it the boot to the proper home!)

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Go with the LCD.

Plasma screens fade as they get older, and if you watch, say, Fox news a lot the logo in the bottom corner can get burned in.

Also, if your plasma screen ever breaks for any reason, it can't really be fixed (at least, that's what a friend of mine who would know told me).

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
for your wallets sake, DO NOT GET PLASMA they cost more to buy, cost more to repair than any other tv and the screen looses color in the first week. my dads friend made the mistake of buying a 2006 plasma 42in tv and the picture was screwed up 3 days later. LCD really is the best money can buy right now.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The really ironic thing is that neither LCD or Plasma can produce anything like the picture quality of a CRT set. Its just that people always have to have the latest thing. I nearly bought one myself quite recently (LCD) but when I went checking them out I was apalled at the shocking picture produced by ALL such sets, even the ones that cost over £2000. I have stuck with my CRT and await improvements in picture quality, after all that is what matters most about a TV, not how cool it looks.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I agree with Waynos, stick with a CRT. Screw footprint. While people have been gogling over these newfangled displeys SONY HAS PERFECTED THE TUBE!!! HiDef is awesome in these sets and are waaaay cheaper as well. With that said there will be a replacement for them soon, and it's not called Plasma or CRT. It's called EInk and it's making it's way into Laptops and EBook readers this year. Only in monocrome atm, but they are already talking about embedding these things into cereal boxes of all things :shk: I guess everything has it's downsides :sigh: The DPI of EInk blows just about every display technology away, it's DPI Approaches that of the printed page it's that good, and it sips power unlike CRT's. Suffer with your CRT or buy a new one for alot less then LCD/Plasma and save up for EInk Televisions.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
CRT
Pro's: Best picture, color, and brightness, least expensive, 180 degree field of view
Cons: Heavy and large, limited size

Plasma
Pro's: Bright, good color, flat, 180 degree field of view
Cons: Expensive, resolution, shortest life (still 50,000 hours though), burn in, so game or PC use is out

LCD
Pro's: Flat and thin, good color, fantastic resolution, hook up to anything (no burn in), low power usage
Cons: Expensive in large sizes, limited size, washes out in bright rooms, smallest field of view.

DLP
Pro's: Unlimited size, decent price per inch, great resolution, no burn in, smaller than CRT but not flat.
Cons: Colors merley ok, blacks not as dark as others, 150ish degree field of view

Summary:
If all you care about is performance and size isnt important, buy a CRT. Still the very best picture out there, NO MATTER WHAT YOU HEAR. This is fact.

If you want bigger than what you can get in a CRT but still dont care about space, DLP is a wonderfull option. Great resolution and its relative cost is great. I only recomend DLP however in a room where you can control direct sunlight as it is still a projection TV and can wash out. DLP is the best option when you need the largest TV possible.

If you MUST have a TV that hangs on the wall and cash is not an object, LCD has better resolution than a Plasma and you can use it for games or PC use. But I would also use this in a room where direct sunlight can be controlled.

If you MUST have a TV that hangs on the wall, dont care about price or burn in, AND its going in a very brite room, then get Plasma.

I hope this helps.

PS: Add LCD Projection TV's in with the DLP's as far as performance is concerned.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thank's for all the info guys!

We went with a Hitatchi 55" LCD Projection TV.
So far so good, The salesman since they did not have the 50" version gave us the 55" for the same price, $2200 U.S., plus he had to stay after and build a new entertainment stand since he told us they had some in stock only to find out they did not, so they gave us the floor model.
Lots of options on this TV as far as inputs/outputs go too, I think we got a good deal. Thanks again everyone for the info!
Dust

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
LCD makes more sense.

Plasma is an organism that will burn out and die eventually.

Also LCD is usually cheaper.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
What is the difference between LCD and LCD projection?

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
What is the difference between LCD and LCD projection?

LCD projection looks like and is about the same size as a DLP. The difference is that its projecting an image generated from LCD opposed to DLP’s spinning mirror. LCD projection has great resolution and slightly better darks than DLP. But for the most part they are the same. Half dozen of one, six of the other kind of thing.

Either way a great choice for a big TV that isn’t subject to direct sunlight (washout). MY personal preference is DLP, but LCD projection is a fine choice.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Dang I should have searched more on tv's, I could have got a 62" Toshiba DLP TV for $2300 HERE....

Oh well, I am satisfied with what I have for the time being.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Dont second guess yourself. Enjoy your TV, its a great one. Its like deciding which color BMW M5 to get, are really going to lose which one you chose? Not really.

apc

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What is the best option for home theater and PC/gaming?

I had planned on going DLP projector, but decided that the cost of the projector plus a bulb or two would equal an actual TV. If someone can convince me that a projector is the best route, I'd love it because of the convenience.

I want minimal purchase price (less than 1,000USD) and maintenance costs.

It's going to be going in the basement, so being able to get it down the stairs without hospitalization is a must.

Also as it will be in the basement, daylight won't be an issue.

HD isn't needed as I don't have cable and don't plan on getting it.

I'm thinking DLP projection TV, 40-42inch, but how does LCD projection compare considering the above conditions?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've decided on a big screen LCD to replace my big screen Trinitron when I get around to it.

Everything I hear about plasma makes it sound inferior, at least the way I watch TV.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We have an LCD, mind you I thought our old tv was fine but hubby HAD to get bigger, better LCD tv for the new entertainment center. Apparently there was too much open space around the old tv :shk: I remember him saying that plasma burns out after 10,000 hours. PLus you can fix an lcd, not a plasma

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
^0's pyschadelia *%.

Ahh sorry my fault, thought it said '___' versus Plasma.

:shk:

Kidding, we have a 110cm plasma and the circuit board crapped itself after 12 months, $800 to replace. Not Happy.
I'll go with lcd next time i think.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I bought a Westinghouse LCD almost a year ago. Westinghouse of all brands and so far so good, no problems whatsoever and the HD is jaw-dropping. Here in Denver where I live they recommend you to buy LCD but is because the altitude somehow mess them up over time.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I just got a Westinghouse LCD after Christmas. I LOVE it. I had never heard of the brand before but researched it before buying and was impressed enough with what I read to go for the deal I found.

I hook my computer up to it sometimes and have had great results.

top topics

join