It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian fighter jet FB-44 Lion revealed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This one could be very well the same design as the jetfighter that was suppose to take the spot of the F-18 but it didn't make it in service. It looks alot like Saegeh-80 but they are not the same, now i'm not sure if this even made it to consideration of mass-production or even into making to reality but it sure was a nice plane, what are your thoughts on this?.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Bozorgh]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
IRAAF have the F-18?? !

When did that happen??

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Not and F-18....

But seems to be inspired by it...

I tell you, those Iranians are getting competitive!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   

This one could be very well the same design as the jetfighter that was suppose to take the spot of the F-18 but it didn't make it in service.

Ground Zero, the author og this thread clearly says that IRAAF would have F/A-18... Wich isn't true... The model on the other hand looks a bit like the F/A-18, but that is a whole other thing...

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well, how many concepts of Iranian aircraft has been showed, but how many layouts of them has been built?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
They may have the machine but do they have trained men to operate the machine? Does anybody know the ablilities of the IRAF compared to the USAF? Machines are useless unless you have good men controlling them.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by I See You]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The following is a very interesting article written by a member of WAFF forum called AryanShah, I picked up from irandefence forum. It dates back to October 2005.
He says his assessment of Iranian fighter projects is very accurate but well…

According to the article, F/B-44 Lion is supposed to be in a class between the YF-17 (P-530) Cobra and F-14 Tomcat and uses similar basic configurations to F/A-18 and MiG-29. Read the rest.

Iranian Fighter Projects: An Assessment
The following is a brief description of some Iranian fighter projects:
1.) Azarakhsh (“Lightning”): …………. (Refer to the article)
2.) 2.) F/B-22 “?”:……………..
3.) Sa’eqeh/ Sa’eqeh-80 (“Lightning”):……………
4.) F/B-44 “Iranian Lion”:
This aircraft is highly controversial and may not even exist the why it is described (as information comes from only certain informed sources). This supposed aircraft was thought to be called the Sa’eqeh-80. However, this idea diminished when the actual Sa’eqeh was unveiled. Assuming the F/B-44 “Iranian Lion” does exist, there are two possibilities about the name confusion. First, the sources could have been mistakenly confused the name with the real Sa’eqeh and this aircraft was never known as the Sa’eqeh-80. Secondly, it is possible this fighter is also called the Sa’eqeh-80 along with the other aircraft. In any case, this fighter is supposedly referred to by American sources with the code name F/B-44 “Iranian Lion” and this designation will be used by me to avoid confusion.

Very little is known about this fighter, other then that it has twin fins, twin engines, a dual seat configuration, it is a medium size fighter in a class between the YF-17 (P-530) Cobra and F-14 Tomcat, and is truly a new fighter. It supposedly has a basic configuration similar to the F/A-18 Hornet and MiG-29 Fulcrum. The aircraft derives much from the Northrop YF-17 project, in which the Shah was heavily connected. Actually, blue prints, designs, and manuals are said to have made there way into Iran before the revolution. Also, the F/B-44 incorporates much of the F-14 design.

The only official Iranian comments on the project are that is a blend of eastern and western technology and that it doesn’t resemble any aircraft in Iranian service or any where in the world. However, some speculate that these comments were actually referring to the Sa’eqeh. According to many, the F/B-44 “Iranian Lion” is an ultimate and definitive fighter aircraft to actually replace Iranian F-4s and possibly later on F-14s. As it is, Iran will definitely need to introduce a new main multi-role fighter-bomber type, equipped with medium and long-range air-to-air weapons by the end of this decade. Either Iran starts importing MiG-29Ms/J-10s in the near future (which is very unlikely) or we can expect that the Iranians will develop the F/B-44 into such a powerful fighter.

Development of the F/B-44 is believed to have begun in the early 1990’s. As it is, the F/B-44 supposedly incorporates a heavily upgrade and modified Iranian digital version of the AWG-9, the long range radar/ fire control computing system used in the F-14. It is also believe to be compatible with the AIM-54 Phoenix missile system. Many reverse engineered parts of other Iranian fighters, especially the F-14, are purportedly used in the construction of the F/B-44.

The fighter possibly uses two Iranian built upgraded J-79 engines (used in F-4) or two Klimov Rd-33 engines (used in MiG-29). Interestingly enough, this could possibly be the Iranian fighter Jane’s was talking about, with two Rd-33 engines, not the Azarakhsh.
As if 2001, there were two F/B-44 proto-types flying and well in to the flight test program. According to current plans, the F/B-44 should enter large scale operational service somewhere between the years 2008 and 2010.
5.) Shafaq “Light before Dawn; Twilight”:………………
6.) M-ATF:……………..
www.irandefence.net...

RESPECT

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Either way it's still just a rehash of a lot of old designs. If they do have an indigenous version of the phoenix though, or even other long range AAMs it could prove a problem for the US which only has the AIM-120C as its longest range AAM.

Then again the US could just use cruise missiles to take them out on the ground.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Should make for nice target practice for the US and Isreal...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Well, how many concepts of Iranian aircraft has been showed, but how many layouts of them has been built?

you have a point

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
They may have the machine but do they have trained men to operate the machine? Does anybody know the ablilities of the IRAF compared to the USAF? Machines are useless unless you have good men controlling them.

another good point

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You

Good question, back in the day when we were both allys for a long time our pilots were trained by you guys on bassicly every jet aircraft we had for our airforce and today we improved on those tactics you guys taught us, and we added some extra things to them to, I mean you have wonder why we did so great in air against Iraq even though we were always outnumbered and still kept winning and for our military projects wether it comes to our airforce or tanks/missles etc... we are very secretive about them!. We don't announce them and start building, it's usually the other way around.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Bozorgh]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The tail of that model behind the two men looks a lot like MiG-29's tail. You heard the saying that by the look of the vertikal stabilizers you can guess who the designer was?
Which makes me wonder if the there are any russian engineers working for Iran.

Deserves some attention if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

nice, so you couldn't contribute possitively to this thread so you just spew something overly arrogant?

If Iran really has a BVRAAM capability, the US is in trouble, they might even be upgrading the Phoenix if they reversed engineered a YF-17 copy.

My statement was still correct, it's not a F-18

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
nice, so you couldn't contribute possitively to this thread so you just spew something overly arrogant?

If Iran really has a BVRAAM capability, the US is in trouble, they might even be upgrading the Phoenix if they reversed engineered a YF-17 copy.

You want positive? I'll give you positive!

I hope Iran has spent lot's of time, energy, and money making this thing the best it can be. That way, they can't invest money into things that might actually be of worry.

The mock up looks to be somewhat stealthy, though the vertical stabalizers seem to be at a right angle, which would kill that idea.

In any case, they can only have 2 potential enemies in mind when they decided to build this aircraft: The US and Isreal. Unfortunately for them, their airforce doesn't stand a chance.

In such a war, their AF likely wouldn't even make it to the sky, as their run ways and bases would be taken out via cruise missle before aircraft were sent in.

Hell, maybe they will get lucky and down a plane or two - who knows.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Coming soon to a smoking crater near you!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I looked around and found Zero, info on this jet....So I would Highly doubt it will ever be operational...Since There's not even a prototype yet.
Theres really no point in "this jet VS that jet" Since its not real.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by R988
Either way it's still just a rehash of a lot of old designs.

Pysic's is the same around the world.

Try this on for size...imagine an f-18 plan form/plat form build with all 1995 (or late) technology)... faster computers, lighter airframe, better radar, better engine etc..

The other day some one suggested dumping the F-22 and retooling the f-15 (18?). There were good reasons for and against the idea. Maybe Iran voted "for" the idea.

Dead steve

[edit on 12-2-2006 by dead steve]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Let him/them keep on practising..
Infact thats another excuse on can use..

"Oh..that country?? We invaded that one for practice..
and that reactor we took out..well practice makes you perfect right?"

.. I'm just overflowing with sarcasm aren't I?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

They were trying to retrofit a Hawk SAM to the F-14 but to be clear, the F-14 is the only aircraft they have that could carry a missile the size of an AIM-54. The F-14s they use are old and their condition is in debate. The US is upgrading the AIM-120 to have a range comparable to the AIM-54.

top topics

join