It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian troops may remain in southern Iraq.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Prime Minister John Howard has announced that Australian troops may remain in southern Iraq after Japanese engineers withdraw. The Japanese engineers are expected to withdraw in May.

www.news.com.au
Prime Minister John Howard said today the government did not know yet whether the Japanese engineers would leave Iraq in May, but he hinted Australian troops might stay on in other roles.

"Whether they (the Japanese) end up going then or not, we haven't been told, although we are in regular discussions with the Japanese," Mr Howard told the Nine Network today.

"It should not be assumed that we would bring all of our forces home.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Australia has an obligation to assit Iraq in the post Saddam era. Assuming the Japanese engineers withdraw in May Australian troops could be used in other roles.

I see no reason why the troops currently deployed in southern Iraq couldnt be used to train local security forces. Instead of debating when Australian forces should leave Iraq politicans should be debating whether or not the Australian military could do more to aid post war Iraq.

Could the Australian military increase its contribution to post war Iraq without effecting other operations ?

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
news.ninemsn.com.au
sunday.ninemsn.com.au
smh.com.au

[edit on 11-2-2006 by xpert11]

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Do Australian troops speak Arabic? Because if not, I can't see how they would train the Iraqie soldiers.

Anyway, how many troops do we have in Iraq in total? I've been wondering about this for quite some time.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
Do Australian troops speak Arabic? Because if not, I can't see how they would train the Iraqie soldiers.

I suspect there would be arab speakers on hand to act as interpetes.

Anyway, how many troops do we have in Iraq in total? I've been wondering about this for quite some time.

I couldnt find any exact figeurs but I found this.

Op CATALYST is the ADF's post-conflict contribution to the Australian whole-of-government effort to assist with the rehabilitation of Iraq and its transition to self-government. The operation came into effect on 16 July 2003.

* The ADF continues to make a valuable, and in certain instances, unique contribution to the rehabilitation of Iraq, the rebuilding of Iraqi armed forces and the transition to self-government.
* Nearly 850 Australians are currently serving (at 1 April 04) in the Middle East, including:
* an Australian Joint Task Force headquarters for command of ADF elements deployed in the Middle East. The headquarters is responsible for both Operation Catalyst and Operation Slipper, Australia’s contribution to the war against terrorism;
* a naval component of about 175 personnel, comprising the HMAS Stuart (ANZAC class FF);
* a RAAF C-130 Hercules detachment of about 150 personnel with two transport aircraft, ground crew and other support

source

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think Australian troops should stay, however we have been lucky so far in that no casualties have resulted. From what I have heard we have fairly decent relations with the locals.

top topics

join