It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Troops Videoed Beating Iraqi Teens

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Mass protests in Basra now.

ore than 1000 protesters burned a British flag and the regional administration in Iraq's main southern province severed ties with British authorities over video footage showing British soldiers beating Iraqi youths two years ago.

In London, the British Defence Ministry announced the arrest of two more people in connection with the images that appear to show British soldiers abusing Iraqi civilians, the Defence Ministry said on Tuesday. Another person, apparently the cameraman who shot the video, was arrested on Monday.

Protesters, many of them supporters of Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, marched on the British consulate in Basra, where they burned a British flag and shouted slogans against the alleged abuse of the youths during a riot on 10 January 2004, in the southern city of Amarah.

Basrans protest over abuse video

The Brits need to get a handle on their troops, and now is the perfect time to begin.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
These soldiers are in a War zone for Gods sake. When grenades are thrown, they have to act. That, in my eyes, is the justification for it. If they get the perpetrators that did it, then fine.

The soldiers did act. They went after the crowd, supposedly captured several members of the crowd (who probably didn't even take part in the grenade throwing - when there is a crowd of dozens and they only capture several, who knows to what extent they were involved), and restrained them. There, the immediate problem is dealt with. There is no beating neccessary.

Flame me all you like. I stand by what i wrote, and nothing will change it.

I respect your right to express your opinion, even if I disagree with it. Flaming and bickering won't help anything, so I try to avoid that at all costs.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
That sounds more like gunshots then a explosion.i've heard small firechackers louder than that.

Read the full article that arch used as a source for this thread, You will find it mentions three explosions believed to be grenades Bikereddie also used it in his post that will save you time finding the exact wording used.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
Protesters, many of them supporters of Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, marched on the British consulate in Basra, where they burned a British flag and shouted slogans against the alleged abuse of the youths during a riot on 10 January 2004, in the southern city of Amarah.

Few more of these Interventions by the British soldiers, and they could quickly find themselves in a middle of a Serious Uprising of the Miltia of the Shia Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who is probably the Strongest Man in Iraq right now. And you do not want to get him and his Followers Angry.

Yep, the British Soldiers sure are seen as the Liberators in Enforcers of Peace and Stability in the Basra Region.

[edit on 15/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
Mass protests in Basra now.
The Brits need to get a handle on their troops, and now is the perfect time to begin.

It happened over a year ago for crying out load, there is no evidence that this is still going on. The only ones that need to handle anyone are the clerics and al jazerra for trying to make it sound like it is still happening they are way out of control, the British on the other hand are at least investigating it.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Stones or grenades, it doesn't matter. It's important to get it factually correct, but it doesn't affect the inappropriateness of the response by the soldiers. In past wars enemy soldiers were shooting at and bombing our soldiers, but if we captured them, we treated them well. But civilians who throw stones and grenades get beaten. Strong policy needs to be put in place in to reinforce the proper treatment of ALL prisoners. Once they are detained, you don't lay any hands on them except in self defense. End of story. No beatings to "rough them up" and "teach them a lesson". You leave that to the legal system.

I suppose you'd prefer if cops beat people up in America too, instead of going to court? Speeding? 10 strikes with a baton. It's just to teach you a lesson! Someone accused of rape? Six cops club him with their guns.

Punishment should never, ever, ever, ever, ever take place before they are represented in court.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
those deserfe a few kicks but not this c,mon how would they feel when 4 iraqis were hitting there kids K.O

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaCk2thereallife
those deserfe a few kicks but not this c,mon how would they feel when 4 iraqis were hitting there kids K.O

If they were singled out for something, then they deserve all they get for throwing explosives. Come on, get real, this a War zone, not a school yard.

As i said before, we have only seen what happened after. We need to see what went on before, then the arm chair brigade can continue slating the Armed forces. Or they can back down and accept they were wrong in their statements..

Jeez, what ever happened to the old adage 'there are two sides to every story'?
Lets wait untill we hear the 'other' story, then make our minds up.

Why cant people just back their own countries troops? Are we all Innocent of any misdemeanors? Are we hell. Thats what gets my back up. Do gooders, or they think they are do gooders. They just don't have a clue. All they seem to do is put their bias perspective on any news story that they might come across when surfing the Web.
They just don't have a clue............................................................

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
to do wrong because you're told to, or because others are, is no reason. To do wrong in retaliation for others doing wrong, is no reason to do wrong. I find it hard to believe that deep down, these soldiers thought "kicking this child in the testicles will bring him freedom"

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
to do wrong because you're told to, or because others are, is no reason. To do wrong in retaliation for others doing wrong, is no reason to do wrong. I find it hard to believe that deep down, these soldiers thought "kicking this child in the testicles will bring him freedom"

Then how can we defend ourselves if fighting is "wrong" ?

Also I dont think they where bringing him freedom, thats not exsactly what this situation is about.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Lets all take a moment to remember our history class. something called the Boston Massacre I'll leave the parallels to draw themselves.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
One thing I can say id those are acts of an occupational forces. Whatever means is neccessary to keep the people under their control quiet. Look at is this way, if a mob were to happen and they start throwing objects at the riot police, would the riot police grab one of the mobsters and beat him up brutally at one corner? You won't see that in any civilised country.

Unless of course you're talking about North Korea.

"Little boys should throw rock" - soldier with video camera.

Insult to injury?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Eh?
Riot police would have beaten more than just a few of them, the riot police are exsactly for what thier name says : A riot.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Has any one got another link to the video. Neither of the two links I found on this thread worked for me!

[edit on 17-2-2006 by hobo_321]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Here's a link to the video on Google video

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Rasobasi420 digging up some pretty ancient history lets all take our time to recount every time an army fired on a cilvlian population.

heres an account of 7day draft riots in new york city its about as pointless a contribution to the thread as what you provided

www.press.uchicago.edu...

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Rasobasi420 digging up some pretty ancient history lets all take our time to recount every time an army fired on a cilvlian population.
I think it's very relevant to the thread. From the taunting and stone throwing, to the excessive force used by a few British troops, to the use of the incident by politicians and propagandists to use it as fodder against an occupying army.

I hate to sound cliche, but, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. This seems like a textbook example of just that.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I hate to sound cliche, but, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. This seems like a textbook example of just that.

I dont.
If it was a repeat no one in that crowd would have made it out alive , period.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
only 5 died in the Boston "massacre"

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Unbelievable..

So what, what the hell is all the fuss about, they wern't all teenagers, and these innocent little darlings where throwing bricks bottles home made bombs for days before the British troops attacked, and why should they be sitting ducks for these animals.

Remember one important thing the Americans would have shot them on the spot, the Iraqi rebels would have captured them, and beheaded them or used extreme torture on them, then killed them. Our boys wait 3days then attack give them a little beating, and there's a uproar about it, there still alive, unlike Kennith bigley.

Do you know there's more protest, about this little incident than there was with the Kennith Biggley beheading. What a absolutely disgrace..

MIKE

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join