It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Catholics be rioting over the use of Jesus in a beer ad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
In light of the recent furor over the use of the image of "the Prophet" in a Danish cartoon, it is interesting to compare reactions by people of different cultures to offensive images. When Islam is offended, it would appear that the offense justifies wholesale rioting, destruction of property, death threats and injurious behavior is justified.

In predominantly Catholic Lithuania, a EU country, a recent advertisement depicted Jesus wearing ear phones in a beer advertisement for a Lithuanian brewery. It will be interesting to note exactly how much rioting and loss of property and life takes place in this incident.

an affront against Catholics and Christians

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i imagine protests emerging but not nothing as extreme as the rioting in europe

catholics are strict but im pretty sure they wont react as violently as did the islamists

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There are enough monasteries in Europe that made beer. So what's the problem??

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Don't forget that Jesus was also a Prophet for the Muslims.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big_BIRD
i imagine protests emerging but not nothing as extreme as the rioting in europe

catholics are strict but im pretty sure they wont react as violently as did the islamists

This is my point. The Catholics won't be burning and looting, will they? You didn't have to think long to come up with an answer, did you? Did you say, "NO"? I thought so.

Of course, in the past, Catholicism would have been guilty of much the same sort of reactionary behavior. But Catholicism has gone through an evolution that, perhaps is typical of what, given human nature, one could expect of all religions as they evolve.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
How dare they do such a thing?
Me being a catholic and all?

Looks like i need to get myself down the pub and have a word or two with the landlord, and discuss this matter over a few beers. If i cant settle the matter, then i think it would be only right to start fires and pee on flags and cause some riots.

But then again, maybe i will just sit back and drink a few of the beers, because my friends, this bothers me not one bit.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wow benevolent, I agree with you 100% I was born and raised Catholic, but have been away from the church for a while due to personal conflict. My husband and I just decided after visiting all the other churches that we are going back. Catholicism has made many changes. It has a bad rap for what it used to be like. I must say you have made a very good point.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think you behave in the image of the God you believe. If Jesus said turn the other cheek or forgive thoughs who sin against us or bare the weight of Christ as he did then that is the message.

Mohammad basically waters Jesus down to gain leverage for his agenda.
If we are Infidels for not believing then they are Anti-Christs by description because no other religion denies him directly apart from Islam. Conversion came came through torture and mass killings the people had no choice in that day and that is the reflection of the Islamic society 'do or die'.

How many can protest in Iran for religious freedom? I would like to see 3 million Christians in that country or 1 million Jews. But we are not welcome a simple fact or would be treated as second class citizens or go to jail.

So in a way their closure to them selves make it hard for the world to negotiate and the ones that do, Russia and China do not believe in God.

Other prophets are second hand to Islam and many forget to read the old testiment part of the koran but only 5 books of the OLD TESTIMENT are incorporated so from then on no evidence is made who the people of Mahammad's day were as thousands of years are edited out and bloodlines lost. No chronology in the Koran either, the largest verse first smallest last, nice way to organise a library.

Anyway Im not that offened of the Exorcist movie 1973 of a depiction of sex with a cross. Live and bare it as Jesus did.
Today they want to ban hotcross buns so its toned down a little.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Mohammad basically waters Jesus down to gain leverage for his agenda.
If we are Infidels for not believing then they are Anti-Christs by description because no other religion denies him directly apart from Islam. Conversion came came through torture and mass killings the people had no choice in that day and that is the reflection of the Islamic society 'do or die'.

Well, first of all Muslims believe that Jesus was not the son of God, but was a prophet. Jews do not even acknowledge that Jesus was a prophet and we see what the eventual result of that was...

I would also like to point out that it was never 'do or die' in the old Islamic society, but I believe that they did require some form of tax be paid.

Interesting information on the Q'uran, but I think that the behaviors of these muslims is based on idealogies as well socio-cultural-political factors and not necessarily the religion as evinced by the violence being exhibited by only a small proportion of Muslims.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If Jesus liked beer, more power to him.

It only shows he was human in his stint on earth.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
anybody demanding heads yet?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'd like to see this beer ad.

I'm not very religious but I like the line by Ben Franklin, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.".

Ram

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
heeh - Wasn't it Monks that brewed beers themselves back in old time??

And Jesus - he he... he made water into vine.. or wine - (can't spell that word right now)
I wonder how he did that..

If we have to compare Christianity to something violent as we have seen lately.. Burning killing and riots...

Hmm... Good old times..(pic) Martin Luther - burning stuff

What did we learn back in those days?? i wonder.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by Ram]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
If you read about the wedding at Cana ... the wine
didn't run out until the Apostles got there and started
drinking. I'm sure that they drank wine. In Eqypt
the drink of choice was beer. Not many folks drank
straight water because it wasn't clean ... whereas
the alcoholed drinks had less germs.

As a Catholic I can definately say that I won't be
protesting, rioting, killing, threatening destruction
of private property, or in any way carrying on like
an idiot over Jesus in beer commercials.

I am sure none of my Catholic friends will either.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Keep in mind that Catholics in Lithuania are not necessarily upset that Jesus is portrayed in a beer advertisement. Knowing Lithuanian wedding receptions, where the beer, wine and spirits flow like the Colorado river, I am sure that Jesus would have been to feel right at home. But what is offensive to some is Jesus being portrayed with earphones. It's not the beer, per se, that is offensive but that Jesus is listening to his ipod (perhaps to the three Amigos).

Now if Lithuania were a predominantly Islamic state and it was the prophet portrayed listening to his ipod, do you think that this incident would have gone down as smoothly as it has? I mean there havn't been any burnings, riots, destruction etc.

top topics

join