It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenya Angry about Dog Food Offer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Lets keep personal remarks out of this please.

The topic is feeding Kenya

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
removed remark

[edit on 14-2-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Western dogs are fed better than the starving in Africa.Thoughts please.

It is truly eye-opening to think about this. I doubt any of us could argue that this statement is true (although I'm sure there'll be some who will argue this point just for the hell of it lol).

It makes me ashamed to be human, really. Just have a sad feeling about how easy it is for so many millions of people to just turn the other way.

If every single person in the world who has at least a mid-level income gave ONE DOLLAR, I think we'd go a long way to helping these people.
Not just by supplying food, but by far more long term benefits. Even if that involves moving them to places where the conditions arent so barren.

There is so much space on this great planet.....its a shame we can't see past our own noses to realise that if we all shared with eachother, there wouldn't be one single crying starving child on earth.

It keeps being said/suggested, but nothing ever happens.....
which makes our race all the more ignorant

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just a quick note...been following this thread awhile.

According to the Final ODA Data for 2004 report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD):

* A combined total of $78.568 billion USD, with subsets as follows:
o The G7 countries donated $56.686 billion USD
o The European Union countries combined donated $42.919 billion USD
o The United States donated $18.999 billion USD

It's not like the west isn't giving fistfuls of dollars to third world countries in dire straights. The above is taxpayer, government donated money. Where's it all going?Collectively, Africa as a whole has received over 400 billion dollars in aid in thirty years, and the situation has yet to really improve.

In this particular case, not all of the drought is natural. Uganda is syphoning off the only major source of water in the region.

In 2002 Uganda completed a second hydroelectric complex in the area. By 2006 the water levels in Lake Victoria had reached an 80-year low, and Daniel Kull, a hydrologist with the UN's International Strategy for Disaster Reduction in Nairobi, Kenya, calculated that Uganda was exceeding the agreed curve by 55%.

from en.wikipedia.org...

DE

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanse_nz
If every single person in the world who has at least a mid-level income gave ONE DOLLAR, I think we'd go a long way to helping these people.
Not just by supplying food, but by far more long term benefits. Even if that involves moving them to places where the conditions arent so barren.

There is so much space on this great planet.....its a shame we can't see past our own noses to realise that if we all shared with eachother, there wouldn't be one single crying starving child on earth.

I don't think people are apathetic. Generally, most people are glad to give whatever they can, and will give more if they see positive change.

But the problem with donating cash is the lack of oversight. Have you seen the palaces and bank account balances of the leaders of these countries? It is staggering, the corruption. That's what happens to cash donations.

Even donations of food and medicine are often diverted to the military. The people have to do without.

These countries have so many problems, it's hard to know where to start. For example, AIDS is rampant in some countries. One method of lowering the spread of the disease is to use condoms. And tons of condoms, donated by the US, go unused. Why? Because the men refuse to use them; they think it is un-manly to use one.

Education is the way to destroy that ignorance. But first you gotta feed the people.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

If you did not notice, the Muslim countries are not among the Top Richest - if they are they have ALOT of OIL, which means they are in bed with the West, usually with United States. And I guess that they do not have a problem with that either.

Oh, i see Souljah...... so according to you the Muslim countries that are rich are in bed "usually with the U.S......

I think you really don't see how absurb your statement is do you?.....

Originally posted by Souljah
I don't know exactly for Kenya - but we have given 1.5 Million $ of Help through Unicef Slovenia in year 2004 for the Children of Africa - like these in Kenya. That is money collected with Private Contributions - not Goverment sponsored. Yes, you can laugh now, but for a county, which has a population of 2 Million people, that not a small donation. I am sure that UNICEF will take care of some of these starving Children and give them Proper Food for this ammount of money. And among this money there is MY small and humble contribution, which would save at least one Child.

How many have you saved with YOUR donations, Ace?

First of all Souljah, people were asking how much money, you, not your country, have contributed to the starving children.....

Oh btw, your country gave $ 1.5 million and there are 2 million people that amounts to less than $1 dollar per person in your country.

The U.S. government gives $3 billion dollars each year to south Africa alone, as for private donations, i gave a link about that already in ATSNN and will look for it later if it makes you feel better.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
As I don't read Soujah's posts, I can only infer from the responses to his posts. I think others will join me in congratulating Souljah and Slovenia, whatever that is, for leading the world in compassion and monetary aid to "developing" nations of the world. I offer my personal thanks for keeping this thread hot.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What I think is Ironic is the dog food needs to be "moistened" with water and Kenya is in the midst of a bad drought.

When there's too many people ... Nature kills the extras...why should we do anything about it?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i read only the first post ....

yes, dog food is definitely better than nothing, but please show respect to other people, at least show some art of speech, simply just don't say it is dog food.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join