It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenya Angry about Dog Food Offer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
But they shouldnt have to eat dog food.

I know damn well you'd all raise a stink if you had to survive on dog biscuits and you know it as well.

hypocrits.

I know plenty of Portuguese imigrants that survived on dog and cat food, because there was no money for much more... but that was back in times where dog food was actually cheap.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
dgtempe, you rock!

I'd eat dog food in a heartbeat to stay alive,,,, and I'd thank whoever gave it to me.

The critics here confuse the hell out of me....

They need food, they're getting very nutritious food,,,, where's the problem?

I don't waste much because I don't have much, but if I did have enough to share there is no way that I wouldn't.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I just draw the line when it comes to monkey.

It might seem odd but alot of people eat monkey and ape in Africa and around the world. Its called Bushmeat though you can consider a bunch of different animals Bushmeat aswell. Ape is considered a delicacy fetches high prices most of it is consumed by wealthy people, not people eating it to survive.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am sure you folks clicked through and saw those horrible pics. The child sucking on a cows arse, trying to find any nutrients, do you think he'd turn his nose up to a can of Alpo?
Let's see, it is cheap, it is canned and easily transported. Each can contains something they need - NUTRIENTS!
sorry, but I think it would be a bit unexpected that a dog food company send lobster and red wine. It doesn't make that.

that'll teach that company an important lesson; no good deed goes unpunished, and even people who are watching their children starve to death have standards in cuisine.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think that everyone who is criticizing this New Zealand dog food company, and the government officials of Kenya, need to put themselves in the shoes of these starving people (most of whom don't even have shoes!). I know that if I was in their position I would much rather have they key ingredients in dog food, or even processed dog food itself, than starve to death or watch my loved ones starve to death.

The government of Kenya has no problem rejecting this offer from the comforts of their palaces and government compounds, likely after just stuffing their faces with the finest cuisines that Africa has to offer. I think that the mix that this company is offering should be made available to those who are hungry and in need. If they feel on a personal level that starving to death is better than eating what amounts to pre-production dog food, then it is their choice to make. It should NOT be the decision of the government what kind of food is good enough for their starving citizens. The government of Kenya is clearly failing its people if they are faced with famine and disease. They should take any food that is offered to them, so long as it is not harmful to those who eat it.

This dog food company should also be commended. The stuff they are offering wasn't free. It likely cost them a good amount of money to buy the ingredients and manufacture the mix, as well as pay all the employees who produced it. They could very easily finish the process and turn it into dog food and sell it to pet owners. But they are offering to give up the potential profits on top of the money they've already shelled out.

This isn't going to end world hunger by any means. But it will save lives. And if it saves even just one child's life, isn't it worth it? The Kenyan government, in my eyes, has blood on their hands for turning down this offer. Next thing you know the government will turn down clothing donations that are "out of style."

Let's not act like bags of dog kibble will be fed to Kenyans in dog bowls, while they are forced to wear dog collars and leashes and made to urinate on fire hydrants. Someone should take a look, if you have the stomach, to that graphic link provided by a member on the first page. There is a starving child who is sticking his mouth in the rear end of a farm animal in a search for food. Someone from the Kenyan government needs to pay that child a visit (if he's even still alive) and tell him "sorry, we could have had food for you and you wouldn't be hungry and you'd probably feel really good right now, but it was the precursor for dog food and I really thought that it was beneath you to eat it. So you're going to have to go to bed on your dirt floor again tonight with hunger pains. If you do live another day I will pray that the cattle butt you were searching has plenty of food in it tomorrow."

I'm sorry for writing so much, and I'll admit I only read the first page of this thread. But to me, there is no justifiable argument here. These people are STARVING to DEATH. This food will prolong people's lives. At the very least, what is the harm in shipping it to Kenya and letting the starving people decide for themselves if they want to eat it or not?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I've eaten cat food. Not for nutrition's sake, but on a dare. It was better than spam. That's for sure.

I ate so much spam and ramen noodles in college I get sick when I think of either of them.

When I was homeless, I used to go with the other "dragworms" and make the rounds. About 10 o'clock, the Pizza Huts where they do deliveries from start throwing out their old pizzas. The guys are supposed to dump 'em out directly into the dumpsters, but they usually don't, because it'll get sauce splattered on their clothes. A lot of the workers leave a box of pizza unopened and hidden under some clean trash like packaging, for the homeless.

About 4 a.m., dunkin' donuts would throw out the old batch of donuts. Their managers made them poor cold coffee over the donuts, to keep the beggars away from the store. But again, they usually didn't and you could find a box or so.

Then there's the groceries. You couldn't eat the greens they threw out, since the companies let them get totally festering before they throw them away, and they attract a lot of bugs instantly. The workers are usually ordered to cut open loaves of bread so it will go stale and not feed the homeless. But that attracts mice so they are not usually consistent. A lot of dinted cans can be safely eaten, tho no one would pay for 'em. One thing most homeless people have is a can opener. I guess that's the sign you live in a "first world" nation, when the beggars carry can openers.

When I tell people about that life who've never lived it, they usually freak out that the companies destroy food so the homeless won't get it. But I will say, a lot of those places (donuts, pizza) make money by selling to the homeless, so if they gave it away they'd lose business.

And one of the toughest things about dumpster diving is that a lot of "working class people" do it do, and will get their food without paying for it. They are also violent as hell; much more dangerous than some store manager. I'm talking about the people who gather aluminum cans for scrap, and carry a gun to do so, just so you don't think you have some kind of prior entitlement to a dumpster, just because you're indigent. They have a very violent hatred of the homeless, probably a psychological defense mechanism to differentiate themselves from their social inferiors---just to remind themselves that they're better than the dragworms.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There was this saying I had to convey how hungry I was. It goes "I'm so hungry I'd eat the a$$ end out of a cow." Yeah, I'm not gonna say that anymore.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In related news, low cost housing is also being offered.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

My grandmother used to make a pigs feet stew that would knock your socks off in my country. I really miss it.

Some of you would have a little problem with this, but its the best darn thing you could ever taste

Are you out of your mind,!!!!!! I love home made beens with pork feets and give them to me anytime.

Plus the blood sausages are to die for, and lets not forget the Gandinga, that is a stew of hart, brains, liver and tongue.

I can not wait to go home this May to get back to my bloody roots.

I forgot the Mondongo
that is cow stomach in stew with potatoes and garbanzo beans.

How about the Cuajo (boiled pork stomach)

I love my home made food.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
sigh... it's not dog food, but the raw ingredients...

Kenya should accept it.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981
sigh... it's not dog food, but the raw ingredients...

Kenya should accept it.

Yep.
I'm sighing with ya.

Like I said earlier, in the dog roll I give my dog sometimes, there are peas and carrots. Guess some here will expect the world to gasp at the thought of eatin' them too. The critics obviously don't have any comprehension of how bad things are for these people, no idea at ALL.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I know marg! What sounds bizarre to some , its heaven to others!

I could take that dog food and doctor it up, and make something incredibly good out of it.

My grandma used to take 1 chicken- Make chicken soup-then take that same chicken and season it up with lime/onions/and a lot of seasons and fry it up and serve it over rice. Then with the left overs, shed make croquettes or chicken salad.

How's that for having just one chicken?!

Sometimes when the going is tough you have to improvise.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Hey, could this be the REASON?

Pet foods in Europe and the United States costs 17 Billion $.

Basic health and nutrition for everyone in the world costs 13 Billion $.

Gee, how nice to spend 4 Billion Dollars MORE on our Pets.

I guess it's they kind of Overestimated the ammounts that Dogs will eat - so they had to throw the Leftovers to the starving people of Africa.

It just Clearly shows the PRIORITIES of the so-called Civilized Corporate Western Society - DOGS infront of People, who starve to Death.

And you are PROUD of that Fact?

Sickening.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Gee, how nice to spend 4 Billion Dollars MORE on our Pets.

I guess it's they kind of Overestimated the ammounts that Dogs will eat - so they had to throw the Leftovers to the starving people of Africa.

It just Clearly shows the PRIORITIES of the so-called Civilized Corporate Western Society - DOGS infront of People, who starve to Death.

Sickening.

Hey Souljah, instead of ranting at the world and his wife, tell us what you PERSONALLY are doing to alleviate the suffering of these poor people.

You seem to have plenty to say in criticism, but nothing actually constructive.

If you tell us how YOU PERSONALLY are doing your bit, then we might be tempted to follow your wonderful example.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Oh, that's soooo Nice, isn't it Mister Grady.

I am sure that New Zeleand can be found among those top ten or twenty countries of this Civilized planet, that also throw away a GOOD portion of the food they produce. Why not give it to thoes who need it? Throw it away, rather then feed the hungry and those who are starving and dying?

Since, I already know your views on religion and capitalism (the thing that allows a society to produce the wealth in order to have extra food, without which the LAND itself is almost useless), I'll just give you the Darwinistic answer that you deserve. The weak and the stupid should be used and abused, the only sin is helping the whining mistake of a human being who wants to steal your energy. Better to let food go to waste than give it to someone who is likely to still resent you and be your enemy once he's recovered his strength, or if not him, perhaps his children, or his children's children. No, better to kick them while they are down.

Yes, so CIVIL - so GENEROUS.

"Are you envious because I am generous?" Matthew 20:15

Yes, let them die of starvation than risk the pride of a well fed person like yourself. And, if they weren't starving, that would be one less thing to blame the West for, and that isn't acceptable either. No matter what, don't sell any African LAND to the white devils, or to any agribusiness corporation of the white devil, to farm a domestic surplus (teach a man to fish), apparently you want the discards from our table to be shipped over there (daily give a man a spoiled half-eaten fish).

Why does Your Beloved Country throw away almost 50% of the Food

"Am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?" Matthew 20:15

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Paul of Nisbis]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Here's a company that is giving these starving people dog food that will give them the nutrients to survive and alot of you are complaining about it. What are you giving these starving people with your generosity? At least I can admit that I'm giving nothing at all. You should be grateful as well as the people recieving it. Instead you sit on this forum crying about it and not doing anything to help the problem. Is this your contribution to these starving people? I would much rather have the dog food than your whining!

[edit on 12-2-2006 by I See You]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Yes it will Save Lives, but Lives could be Saved in Numerous different Way, if WANTED to - there is just no Wish to do that, 'coz nobody cares.

Just Good to know, the Kindness of Strangers.

Another response from Souljah which shows his contemp and hatred of the west.

Someone already partially explained why regular food is thrown away in such large quantities, but I think that Souljah is not thinking clearly to understand that.

First the company that made the offer only has that food, which is in a powder and is dried, this means it will last a lot longer than regular food which is not dried nor made into a powder.

My father works in a large hospital as a chef in south Florida, and i remember when I asked him why was so much food being thrown away?
I was 17 back then and didn't know better.

The problem with regular food is that unless it is frozen, it will go bad very fast, but i guess souljah doens't care about that and would want rotten food to be fed to the children of Africa.....

It is not as if there are teleport stations in every hospital, restaurant and grocery store ready to instantly send the food that will not be used to Africa... and it is not as if in Kenya, nor anywhere in Africa they have many large refrigerators ready and waiting to keep all that food fresh....

But i guess Souljah doesn't care about that...as long as he can use any topic to blame and express his hatred towards western civilization.....

Anyways, how much food has Souljah sent to the starving people in the world?

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Some of you would have a little problem with this, but its the best darn thing you could ever taste

Are you out of your mind,!!!!!! I love home made beens with pork feets and give them to me anytime.

How about the Cuajo (boiled pork stomach)

I love my home made food.

DG, Marg, Souljah has most probably lived all his life enjoying the conforts that the west can offer, he most probably has no idea that people who don't have all the conforts of the western world, would eat things that people like him would not call "fit for a human".

He doesn't seem to know either that many people who immigrate to western countries, and who come from third world countries most of the time still eat some of those recipies which in the west are labeled as not "fit for humans".

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Souljah, do you or any of like-minded people you know have pets?
If so, do they get fed?
I think you are taking the WHOLE thing out of context to fit your politics and that doesn't really belong on ATS, imo.

I'm sure we could make a statement that we treat our pets better that we treat our (pick one: parents, spouses, elderly, children, parents, poor, less fortunate, sick, hungry).
That doesn't change the fact that someone was willing to donate nutritious food and the government of an impoverished country said no and many Politicall-Correct people also thought it was wrong to make that donation.
HUH??????????

It is shameful to throw away fodd and it is even more shameful to turn food away when there is a need.

Thankfully, Grady showed us this episode had a good ending:

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Look what I found!
It seems this story has a happy ending after all!

www.nzherald.co.nz
Starving children on Rusinga Island in Africa's Lake Victoria have accepted the controversial donation of New Zealand protein supplements which stirred controversy over perceptions they were being offered dog food.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Plus the blood sausages are to die for

where they at ?? i'd go for one or two right now !!!

God do I miss those..
..yuuummm.....

and the porks inetetine in hot sauce .... with a really red wine.... *sigh*

You remind me of a guy i use to meet, that would go around i chats saying the Internet is of the Devil, but wouldn't stop paying for his connection??

What is your problem ? Lack of atention? every post i have seen from you you are criticizing capitilism, and people that sepnd too much money ..etc etc ... and now evenn how much people spend with their pets... and i turn around and look at the picture you left at the members borad, and you seem to be a very well, fead and dressed person, posing at a very Capitalist looking bar ... so wich one is it ?

Are we one of those that does nothing else but cirticizing others forgeting to take a look in the mirror ?
Why don't you canceld your Internet acess and send the money to help Africa... take the first step... wrap your clothes and donate them ... send the money you spend on a night out and donate it ... sell you PC and donate the moeny ... infact go live in a "comuna" and donate all your belongings ... step away from the Capitlais once and for all... but don't stay here in my face telling me how much i spend with my pets or not, whne you have no idea of what i do to help ppl in need? I probably do much mroe than sit on my PC criticizing everyone else.

My dogs food costs less than one or 2 of your nights out, and my dogs vet bills probably costs less that what you spend in your hair cut.

Get a grip !

[edit on 12-2-2006 by BaastetNoir]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join