It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenya Angry about Dog Food Offer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
A New Zealand dog food maker has offered to send 42 tons of dog biscuit mix to Kenya to feed starving orphans there. Christine Drummond heard of the situation from her daughter who had recently visited there. Originally, Drummond was going to send dog biscuits, but upon hearing the numbers of starving decided to send a mix containing the raw ingredients, which include freeze-dried meats, mussels, kelp, garlic, egg, and whole grains. Kenyan officials have expressed outrage over the offer.

www.smh.com.au

New Zealand dog food maker Christine Drummond insists she can deliver a life-saving mixture at a time when as many as 3.5 million people face starvation from drought.

Drummond insists that with a little water her powdered meal becomes "a high-powered food, full of nutrients and it tastes yummy. In fact, I like it so much that I even sprinkle some on my porridge every morning as a pick-me-up."

It is estimated that between 2.5 million and 3.5 million people are at risk of dying from famine if no immediate action is taken.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here we go with political correctness madness again. It's far better to have horrifyingly disgusting images of starving children (Warning: This link contains disturbing images) coming to us from Africa than to save lives because the offer comes from a dog food producer. Go figure.

[edit on 2006/2/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That is insane.... You offer dog food to starving people??... i mean, they are starving... but dog food ? I wonder how the NeW Zealnd would react if the offer had been amde to them ??

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

That is insane.... You offer dog food to starving people??... i mean, they are starving... but dog food ? I wonder how the NeW Zealnd would react if the offer had been amde to them ??

Did you bother to read the ingredients? Whether or not the mix was designed to feed dogs or kings, the mix provides nutrients to the starving. I know one thing. I won't send another dime to feed the starving in Africa and I will discourage my legislators from doing so, as well.

You can bet that Kenyan officials are more concerned with what can be stolen from gifts to feed the starving than they are about solving a problem.

news.bbc.co.uk1794730

news.bbc.co.uk4209956

www.freedominst.org

service.spiegel.de

www.cato.org

www.un.org

Google Search

[Edit to add links]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Did you bother to read the ingredients? Whether or not the mix was designed to feed dogs or Kings, the mix provides nutrients to the starving. I know one thing. I won't send another dime to feed the starving in Africa and I will discourage my legislators from doing so, as well.

I understand your point, and i do have to say that i know plenty of Portuguese imigrants that when worse came to worse they did resort to dog and cat food. I guess its just the first impression people get...some may see it as calling them "animals"

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

It wasn't the government of New Zealand that made the offer it was a company that makes dog food that made the offer. They were offering what they had available, hoping it could make a difference.

If New Zealand was suffering from a 'national disaster' like the starvation facing Kenya they probably wouldn't turn down the offer.

Besides, it's a different formula than what they use for the pet food.

She said the powder is a "sustainable meal", containing freeze-dried beef, mutton, pork, chicken and deer as well as green lip mussels.

Other ingredients include kelp, garlic, egg, wholegrain cereals and cold-pressed seed flour.

Drummond, has told NZ media that the mix will be different from pet food, although made with the same ingredients.

She wants the first consignment to leave NZ in March.

But Kenyan government officials plan to block the shipment.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Although it doesn't sound very nice I've seen homeless people here eat cat and dog food. If you're desperate you do whatever it takes to survive.

I'm sure the government is all upset because those in power are driving benz and eating caviar but it's the ordinary folks that are suffering. I too often wonder all about all the aid that we provide to 3rd world countries. Quite often they just end up as bargaining chips in custody of the dictators and their lackeys away from the people that need it.

I read at a ROSS store that $5 to the Red Cross will get a toothbrush and toothpaste to a Katrina victim. I'm like DAMN. It's cheaper for me to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste and mail it there myself.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The woman who has developed this mix eats it herself, as do her family, on top of their meals - for added nutrients. It does not contain anything harmful to humans - it is DARN cheap which means MORE could be sent to the starving millions than if it were, say, rice or whatever and it contains fantastic nutrients.

I agree, when it is labelled "dog food" its not real appealing. People need to realise that just because a dog food company has come up with the idea, it doesn't mean it is what is literally given to dogs.

Hell, my dog eats raw beef......in the western world, dogs get a pretty good deal in many ways compared to the starving - and there is something VERY wrong with that.

Lets do anything and everything we can for those who are desperate!
I know of one small kenyan town that is very happy to have received this mix and glad of the help it will give the dying.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
From the Original Article:

"A high-powered food, full of nutrients and it tastes yummy!"

However, Drummond insists that with a little water her powdered meal becomes "a high-powered food, full of nutrients and it tastes yummy".

"In fact, I like it so much that I even sprinkle some on my porridge every morning as a pick-me-up."

Cute.

And I wanted to ask, if it TASTES soooo Good, why doesn't the boss of this New Zeleand company Eat it - and he actually said, that he "sprinkles" over his morning porridge?

I mean is this guy full of Scheisee oder Was?

Anyway, that Article was dated February 1, 2006 - 2:34PM - which is not really Breaking News you know mister Grady.

And I have some UPDATES to this Sad, Sad Story, that tells you everything about the Downwards spiral, that this Society is Taking - a downward spiral, directoyl to Hell mister Grady.

And you can start counting the Days, untill the Time, when You will be FORCED to eat Dog Food too, because there wont be anything OTHER available to you, and your neigbour has Only That to Offer you.

'Dog Food' Donation ACCEPTED

Dated February 7, 2006:

The controversial 'dog food' donation to starving children in Rusinga Island has been accepted.

Residents of Rusinga Island in Nyanza yesterday said the donation from New Zealand would "make a difference in the lives of helpless children".

Members of Rusinga Development Forum defended the company that donated 42 tons of alleged dog food, terming it a "noble gesture".

I guess thats ALL that New Zeleand had to offer, right?

And the People are Grateful for that "Noble Gesture".

See Mister Grady - they That desperate.

Go Figure.

The best meal you'll never have!

In the UK, a shocking 30-40% of all food is never eaten. In the last decade the amount we binned went up by 15%. Every year each of us throws away over £400 worth of food - that's £20 billion pounds overall, enough to cover the cost of everyone's council tax.

A 10 year study by Tim Jones at the University of Arizona has shown that 40-50% of all food in the US ready for harvest never gets eaten.

Oh, that's soooo Nice, isn't it Mister Grady.

I am sure that New Zeleand can be found among those top ten or twenty countries of this Civilized planet, that also throw away a GOOD portion of the food they produce. Why not give it to thoes who need it? Throw it away, rather then feed the hungry and those who are starving and dying?

Yes, so CIVIL - so GENEROUS.

FURTHERMORE,

Food Wasting is also Harmful to the Enviroment,
  • Wasteful use of chemicals such as fertilizers and pesticides;

• More fuel used for transportation;

• More rotting food, creating more methane — one of the most harmful greenhouse gases that contributes to climate change.

Why Mister Grady?

Why does Your Beloved Country throw away almost 50% of the Food - and the Starving Children of Kenya receive DOG FOOD!

Justice?

Or Greed?

And you know what mister Grady?

This Year, Over 9 million people WILL Die worldwide each year because of hunger and malnutrition.

5 million WILL be Children.

Military spending in the World is 780++ Billion Dollars.

What a nice Planet we Live in.

Really Nice...

[edit on 11/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Look what I found!

It seems this story has a happy ending after all!

www.nzherald.co.nz
Starving children on Rusinga Island in Africa's Lake Victoria have accepted the controversial donation of New Zealand protein supplements which stirred controversy over perceptions they were being offered dog food.

Residents of Rusinga Island in Nyanza said the donation would "make a difference in the lives of helpless children", the East African Standard newspaper reported.

Rusinga Development Forum members defended New Zealand dog food manufacturer Christine Drummond from criticism over her offer of 42 tonnes of supplements, describing it as "a noble gesture".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm so glad that these people finally came to their senses.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Souljah, man, chill out. Do you hate everything?

Anyway, it's good to know that they accepted the dogfood. There are many dogfoods these days that are 'human grade'. I don't feed my dogs something unless I would eat it myself in most cases (I wouldn't eat some of their treats and I cook the chicken and beef before I eat it, but give it to them raw) so this is not at all an offensive thing to offer. In fact I think it's quite nice.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

That's all this particular company had to offer.
What have you given the people of Kenya?
What gives you the right to criticize a donation by a particular company that had no obligation to make a donation?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I read in a column by Marylin Vos savant where she was asked, "If you were to be stranded on an island with only one kind of food, what would you choose?"

Her answer: Dog food.

It turns out dog food is some seriously healthy stuff.

Just thought i'd pass that along.

Wupy

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

[edit on 11/2/06 by Souljah]

Ummmmm, there is more than ONE person, in NZ. The company owner isn't the only citizen here, duh

Deny ignorance? Yep, I will.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Souljah, that was just plain mean.
I don't know about New Zealand, but in the US dog food is made at very near the same standards as people food.
A lot of large countries waste food, it's usually just a problem of logistics though. You can't haul it all at once so some has to wait for the next truck. Problem is, the food doesn't like to wait and some of it will go bad. It's sad, but it's a fact. And there isn't much that can be done about it.
That shipment of dog food will save a lot of lives, is that a bad thing?
"dog food" is just a word, call it "filet mignon" then everyone will be happy.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If Dog Food is SO GREAT and Tasty and Lovely - why don't you people Feed it to your Children? Why do you buy the Juicy Beef and Pork and Nice Green, Yellow and Red Vegetables? You think the people who Starve do not want to Eat that - but just the Leftovers?

Hey, I bet the company that makes Whiskas has some Cat Food Leftovers! And you think we could send them some of those Bird Seeds - I heard they are quite Tasty and full of Minerals and Vitamins!

You are so Proud now, that this Particular Company has given Dog Food to the people who Starve - while 50% of grown Food is thrown away.

Yeah, really Cool.

Reminds me of the Apocalyptic days of Mad Max II: the Road Warrior, where Mister Mad Max eats Cans of Dog food, and throwns whats left to his Dog.

This is about the Same - only Scales are Bigger.

Yes it will Save Lives, but Lives could be Saved in Numerous different Way, if WANTED to - there is just no Wish to do that, 'coz nobody cares.

Just Good to know, the Kindness of Strangers.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Souljah, do you think the company should withdraw their offer because it might be viewed as demeaning?

Should the offer have never been made even though it could save lives?

EDIT:

I posted this in another thread to show how the EU is helping out:

EU Business

"The 'long rains' are due in May but if they dont come, we could be facing a terrible situation," he said. "That is why we propose to earmark further funding of almost 40 million euros in the coming weeks and months."

The commission, the EU's executive arm, has already allocated 73 million euros in support against the current drought, including the five million euros offered Wednesday.

The United Nations and Kenya appealed Wednesday for more than 230 million dollars to help 3.5 million Kenyans threatened by famine from a drought that aid groups warn may become the country's worst post-independence crisis.

BTW, you never answered the question about what you donated to the people of Kenya.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well heck, i dont know about you guys, but if i were starving, i'd surely go for it!!! Its a strange offer but nevertheless it makes for a hearty meal.

Just pinch your nose if you have to. Food is food.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Western dogs are fed better than the starving in Africa.Thoughts please.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There is a day in the world coming fairly soon when the offer of something like that nutrient powder will seem like a miracle provision to those who have been upset over this degrading offer. I don't see many others jumping in to help here. Be careful what you say about that offer. You will end up chewing on only those words and nothing else someday.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

If Dog Food is SO GREAT and Tasty and Lovely - why don't you people Feed it to your Children?

Good point... there are plenty of ungry ppl even in the USA... if only the USA had thought of it, the KAtrina victims could have been fed alot faster ...and it also avoy those horrible hotel bills left behind...

Like dgtemp said, when worse comes to worse, lets gargle it down...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join