It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Warning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What if I do a search for "Above Top Secret". Think that will trigger any red flags?

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sure you have nothing to worry about for the moment, but what if that changes down the line?

Searching for a conspiracy site like ATS might be fine now, but what if the government decides in a few years that maybe conspiracies are not in the public interest and starts to shut it down. Most people wont care as they think conspiracy types are loonies anyway. You'll be doing something wrong then, look at China, looking at the wrong website gets you thrown in jail, see where tracking leads.

You have nothing to worry about now, but for how long?

Don't say you weren't warned...

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by albie
You still haven't answered the question. But I expected that.

A right to privacy? That's just a notion. Any decent person would waive the right to privacy if it means bad guys get caught.

Why won't you? That's the question within the question.

Let's posit that a nation invades the privacy of it's citizens for the safety of their citizens and nation. Then let's say that the nation becomes corrupt and oppressive, yet they still monitor their citizens private meanderings.

This is the reason why we need to make a stand against intrusions in our privacy by the government. You seem to have total faith in authority and complete doubt that they can do anything wrong. This is a mistake, you will see time and time again how throughout history nearly all governments become corrupt and their people rise up.

If we give the government too much authority, i.e. spying on our private lives, we will lose our ability to band together and revolt. You would sacrifice the freedom of your fellow humans just for initial safety?

You don't deserve to live in a freedom loving society.

- Attero

Edit: Your intentions are good, but you assume that authority is incorruptible and wholly just.

[edit on 14-2-2006 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well said Attero, well said.

You have voted Attero Auctorita for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Some Ben Franklin quotes seem appropriate here.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

This too is an appropriate quote from him. Distrust of the government...

Distrust and caution are the parents of security.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is a very "sticky" issue on the personal level. On one level, a very simplistic view would be to simply say "who cares". After all, I am not a terrorist, I am not a criminal and I really don't have anything to hide. I suppose that this is a view that many, if not most, people take. And, in many respects, I would almost agree with these people. After all, I'm not a terrorist or a criminal and I don't have anything to hide.

But there is another way to view this entire privacy issue. I am not a terrorist ---YET, I am not a criminal --- YET and I don't have anything to hide -- YET. When I say "yet", I am saying that the conditions do not presently exist where I would meet the criteria that the government would set to consider me a threat or a person of interest. This is not to say that the situation would remain this way. Perhaps at some point it will be a criminal offense to discuss "conspiracy theories" or politics. Perhaps, at some point, it will be considered terrorism to openly discuss negative views towards the government. Perhaps, at some point, I will have very good reason to hide my records and existence on the internet. But, of course, I don't have anything to worry about -- YET.

To say that such conditions do not exist and they could never exist is also very simplistic. Over and over throughout history, people have said that "it can't happen here" only to discover the enemy at ones doorstep.

I, for one, will begin by deleting Google Desktop from my computer and I will begin to re evaluate my pc security practices...even though I'm not a terrorist, criminal and that I have nothing to hide.....YET.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It's a simplistic view that all governments become corrupt.

And even if they were corrupt, how is knowing what sites I visit going to help them control me?

How is it going to stop me from really rising up against them when the time is right?

Are they going to shout "Ah, he likes Star Trek role play games. What a geek, don't listen to him."??????????

I have a good fairly good life. Most of us do in the west. If this is being under the control of an evil dictatorship, then evil dictatorships ain't what they used to be.

Listen, as soon as they start shooting us in the streets for looking like a hippy, I'll be right along side you chucking rocks.

Oh, unless you meant that terrorists are actually rebels trying to free the world from the evils of Bush? You'd sort of have to believe that.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by albie]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join