It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infinity a big mistake ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
When thinking about 'time', one has to remember that 'time' is a man made unit....therefore man created infinity. In reality maybe the universe had always exisited.

IMO I believe the answer is waaaaaaaaaaay to adavanced for us to even begin to understand the makings of the universe.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ok. if infinity doesnt exist. Let me ask this. What is on the other side of infinity.
In other words, if there is a boundry then something is taking up space to stop it.
What is outside of the infinity box?

Peace from Hungary

dalen

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s

Please, he wasnt a mathematician!

I hope this is a joke, if not, stop bogarting. Einstein was a tremendous mathematician, his vast understanding of math is what allowed him to develop S&GR.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Wow, I'm not even gonna say all thats on my mind, I'd prolly get a warning, for insulting someone or something like that.

Albie (hope I got that right.),

You have the right to think whatever you want.

However, you really can't expect other people to think the same thing, when what you say go's against everything we know at the fundemental empiracal level.
Science is fact, not belief, science is, for the most part something we can observe and test over and over and get the results.

I'm not going to say your stupid or what not, it's rude to insult people.

However, there is one thing I'd like to point out, that you said to another person.

There's a good boy.

When you say that, or something like that to anyone, it can be seen as patronising and insulting, and that is something that is against this sites Terms & Conditions.

Thats really all I have to say.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
When thinking about 'time', one has to remember that 'time' is a man made unit....therefore man created infinity. In reality maybe the universe had always exisited.

Forever and infinity are synonymous I think. So to say the universe always existed is the same as saying it's infinite. Imo.

Man can comfortably grasp finite time. We struggle conceptually with the infinite. To me this shows infinity is not a unit of time at all, at least in the sense that time is a man-made construct. I also think finite time is ultimately illusory because of the presence of infinity.

[edit on 022828p://14u55 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Please, he wasnt a mathematician!

I hope this is a joke, if not, stop bogarting. Einstein was a tremendous mathematician, his vast understanding of math is what allowed him to develop S&GR.

No its not a joke. He did have a tremendous ability to see things in a different light(no pun) but a mathematician..( when I say this I'm talking about deriving your own formulas that fit the theory as opposed to the other way around yes?) he is not. Do some reasearch on Poincare, Lorentz, and Reimann just to name a few.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Actually the problem is here:

but there is another way we can group these numbers in the series:

S = 1 + (-1 +1) + (-1 +1) + (-1 + 1) + ........... and so on

In this case S = 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ......... and so on

therefore S = 1

You are actually adding an extra 1 in the series. Let's say that N is the number of (1, -1) pairs in the series. For N = 3 (for example) you would have:

S1 = (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1)
S2 = (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1)

Now what you did is adding 1 to S2:

S2 = 1 + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1)

The same is valid for any N.

Therefore S2(i.e. S) is erroneously 1.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Ok. if infinity doesnt exist. Let me ask this. What is on the other side of infinity.
In other words, if there is a boundry then something is taking up space to stop it.
What is outside of the infinity box?

Peace from Hungary

dalen

That is where your problem is.....infinity is not a boundry, it is not a box, but the extent to which the mind can extend to......as soon as you reach that extent, you can go further, and therefore infinity does.

Try and imagine something very far in the distance, so far that you cannot measure where it is, so far that it is beyond the known universe; you can never 'touch it', every time you approach it, it becomes as far away as it initially was........that is infinity, and that is what is referred to mathematically, a non existing end point.

You cannot define infinity literally because by its definition it ironically has no definition. I think I might have just contradicted myself - or did I?

As Leopold Kronecker said, "The Good Lord made all the integers; the rest is man's doing." Some people consider that quote in the context of Man creating his own problems from something that has no problem (numerology); I look at it as Man being able to see beyond what has been defined for him.

[edit on 14/2/06 by Strodyn]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here's an interesting puzzle on infinities.

Lets say that there is a hotel with an infinite number of rooms. You arrive late one night and ask the front desk clerk if they have a vacancy. He replies that every room is occupied, however, he can arrange for you to get one. But how, you wonder, if there is no vacancy?

There are many variations of this puzzle, some get pretty complex. It involves jumping from prime numbers and such.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
IMHO, Infinity exist because of our lack of understanding of our universe. Put it this way. We couldn't explain how certain things in this world worked, so what did we do? ooh gee, why don't we invent a mystical god who can do anything, that will explain it and put everything to bed. Same concept here. We can't seem to grasp to concept of infinite because we naturally like to visualise things in a finite manner. It's out nature and there's nothing we can do about it. Same concept about God applies here. We can't really explain it very well, so lets just put a lid on it and call it infinite
either that or just we couldn't be stuffed counting any further :p

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

IMO I believe the answer is waaaaaaaaaaay to adavanced for us to even begin to understand the makings of the universe.

u said it! ur right!(the time part, ur so dead on bro)

but the universe is not advanced. what is so adavanced about being here other than making an equation that will only prove why we CAN'T CAN'T be here(yes i did say can't twice). therfore, it's not an equation that can make u smart, u just are. people like me and you aren't capable of equation, we just know the truth about how people try and come up with an equation for everything when creating one will only show two possibilites-- God exists or everything is perfect. why waste your time? why do we try and prove how we are here when all people like me have to do to prove it is say, "hi."
proof enough to me that everything is perfect no matter if God or Math or Physics, or whatever else....
"God"(not the creator God, but the one who has to be and is as much a part of us as much as we are a part of it), or the unconcious underlying of it all- is perfect. there are only two choices. why try and explain it when one possibility won't let u and the latter possibility will get you no where but a wasted lifetime? cuz u wan't x=We're here. go ahead if u want, but damn... what a good life.

p.s.- what i was trying to say is that basically we are trying too hard. we make it complicated. basically, we are trying to take the words "Just because" and explain them thru math as to why they are here(even taking into account who created those two words and what made him(s) say/create them).
well......... Just because.
and you'll never know, because it can't be explained. because you cannot explain what is flat out in front of you. (i.e., well my shirt is tan because of T=2mu +Y=Ox3) oh, so because you wrote that equation- my shirt is tan? my tan shirt never told me that equation. it just told me IT IS TAN. now u made it all complicated and stuff. from now on im gonna say mathematical expression for everone's color shirt. Hey Jane, nice 4x=5bw7+8b shirt!). you want me to sit around and explain to you why my shirt is tan? as to why would eventually lead us to what we are talking about. and as to why i'm telling you that everything is perfect. too perfect to ask why.
Pepsi anyone?

[edit on 14-2-2006 by chibidai_rrr]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
INFINITY=SINGULARITY (FIND OUT what a PSYCHOPROPULSOR is?)

You cannot be observer to "infinit" nor "singularity".('
')
('
') you may only decide to exist in one or both at the same time through faith. To imagine this, look at yourself in a circular shaped mirror and imagine that "what you are looking at"- is your infinite self through the singularity of a "dimensional folding" (in this case, it's the "Chirality' dimension that is folded). The image you are looking at is REAL but it is also YOU.

The more you can distinguish this fact from the noise of Chaos the more you live out it's reality.

The event horizon of a black hole probably turns out to be a "Clifford Spacial Fold" surface whereby two "Reality Bubbles" meet and the central circular membrane which,-by itself, may be illustrated as an ordinary circular shaped mirrored surface.

You must be capable of removing your "inertial reference" from the time/gravity force.

Recent discoveries in "Stochastic Analysis of Infinite Dimensional Spaces" have helped us develop a new way of thinking. It is sometimes called POST-QUANTUM philosophy.

Matter is less important than "information" therefore "Chaos" becomes the ultimate information source and "Grand Unified theory" becomes the only practical modelling solution.

How does "man made" entropy fit in this model of Chaos?

Is Man's intelligence different than that of Nature?

Godel, Minkowski, Rusell, Cantor, have all tackled the same problem. More information is available in first order logic theorems I.E. "Prolegomena to Cardinal Arithmetic" (Rusell and Whitehead's principia mathematica).

There is so much to say, and so little left to truely discover.
There is nothing new under the Sun, "Discovery" is really only "re-discovery".

One of the best books I've ever seen on "Infinity" is; Raymond Smullyan's book "Satan, Cantor, and Infinity".

Illuminate thyself!

MIB in CanadaText

[edit on 2/14/2006 by MIB in Canada]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Good point Av8or.

Originally posted by av8or
IMHO, Infinity exist because of our lack of understanding of our universe. Put it this way. We couldn't explain how certain things in this world worked, so what did we do? ooh gee, why don't we invent a mystical god who can do anything, that will explain it and put everything to bed. Same concept here. We can't seem to grasp to concept of infinite because we naturally like to visualise things in a finite manner. It's out nature and there's nothing we can do about it. Same concept about God applies here. We can't really explain it very well, so lets just put a lid on it and call it infinite
either that or just we couldn't be stuffed counting any further :p

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Lets say that there is a hotel with an infinite number of rooms. You arrive late one night and ask the front desk clerk if they have a vacancy. He replies that every room is occupied, however, he can arrange for you to get one. But how, you wonder, if there is no vacancy?

There are many variations of this puzzle, some get pretty complex. It involves jumping from prime numbers and such.

Hehe, that's kind of reminiscent of "Hotel California" for some reason

But that's a good example of the paradox, I have to agree

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnikah

Hehe, that's kind of reminiscent of "Hotel California" for some reason

But that's a good example of the paradox, I have to agree

Yea doesnt it? I actually use "Hotel California" ringtone as my morning alarm.

So anyone? How does the guy make room for the newcomer?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by albie
?

Clearly infinity does not exist. It's impossible. Scientists won't tell you that because it would negate everything they know.

Reality is impossible. Surely I don't have to tell you that? Things don't pop into existence from nothing. And things don't exist infinitely, otherwise all existence and experience would have no actual space to exist in the impossible infinite time line. If we had always existed, we would all be gods by now. Although we wouldn't, if you see what I mean, because you could always set back the time of being born, say, another billion years, etc.

It's elementary.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by albie]

you should watch the Science channel - From here to Infinity - and
Cosmic Odyssey . . A few others also .

It goes against everything in your statement to some extint.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Sounds like the Cat in the Box theory- is it dead /alive /or doesnt exist ?.

According to Quantum mechanics the answear is all 3.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Briggs]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briggs

Sounds like the Cat in the Box theory- is it dead /alive /or doesnt exist ?.

Not really...

Its just a different perspective on the (lack) of limits when dealing with infinity. If one is stuck to the realms of finite logic they will have a hard time digesting the more complex versions of this puzzle.

Anyways, the front desk clerk just wakes up the occupant of room #1 and tells him to shift to room #2... the person in room #2 moves to room #3 and so on leaving room #1 vacant for the newcomer.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
i was just giving an example , maybe not a good one .
but one that makes you think .

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The solutions have not to be complex.
One solution is to tell to everybody to move from their room (number n) to the next room (n+1) so to free the first room (n=1). Simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join