It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My country has more medals then yours.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sweden just beat USA in womens hockey

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Sweden just beat USA in womens hockey

Post theif!

What a shocker this is. This has to be one of the biggest upsets in hockey in recent memory. I don't see any team coming within 5 goals to Canada but this Martin goalie... wow!

I just sat here watching it myself in astonishment. What was with the American shooters in the shootout? Ridiculous angles they took expecting to score.

Lets watch Canada romp over Finland now.

Any Canadians out their frustrated with this nonsence of media backlashing on the Canadian team for trouncing its opponents. Goal differential is the biggest tie breaker in the rules, so if by some strike of lightning they needed a tiebreaker, of course they wanted to have as much as possible. You can not fault a team for being talented. They win with the class champions should. In no time at all other countries will be at their level, but until then we have set the standard.

Go Cananda Go!

Looking at our most medal hike in one olympic games this year I believe.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Yeah, what is it like 6 medals in 2 days which puts us at 10 now. Looks like those 12 Sports Headshrinkers are helping our athletes to not choke. Did you know that before these games Canada had one of the worst World Championships to Olympics medal conversion at like 30 percent or something? Average is in the 60s.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
AMM, seems like there's 4 countries that have more medals than yours now, including Canada:

Canada, with 11 medals, now sits with Russia and Germany, tied for second on the total count. Norway still leads with 13 medals overall.

www.tsn.ca...

Man, that's GOTTA hurt.

And Norway has a much smaller population than OURS.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The American Way

Originally posted by intrepid
Man, that's GOTTA hurt.

No! NOOOOOOO! It can't be!

Our sacred National Arrogance is being threatened! Somebody, quick! DO SOMETHING!

Hmm... but what?

Oh hey, I know!

The games were rigged! Yeahhhh, that's the ticket.

We'll take the Olympic Committee to court and sue for our medals, and call the real winners frauds when we lose.

That's how we win fair and square here in America.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
There's rumblings that the IOC may cancle womens hockey after the Vancouver Games :shk: 60% of the IOC are European and since they don't win in it(or at least have a chance) then they don't see the point. Bunch of Crybabies. I seem to remember in Men's hockey not too long ago that it used to be a Two Team sport as well. USSR vs Canada.
I hope the Don is Wrong.

Also Magic in World Championchips in 2005 last year the medal standings were Germany, Canada then USA. The reason why we never perform to the World Champ standards is due to the fact that Canadian Athletes like to choke for some reason. This year they took along a bunch of Headshrinkers and it seems to be helping.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
That Emanual Sandhu for cananda choked hard. When he jumped he fell, or whussed out on other ones.

Watching the Canada vs Swiss game now, and we are down 2-0. Reff has a few sketchy penalties which kept us 2 men down for over 2 minutes, and now just waves off a goal because the whistle was clearly already blown but had no reason to blow it.

We gotta turn this around, we need 2 golds for hockey!

EDIT:

Make that 2 goals waved off.

:shk:

[edit on 18-2-2006 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'd like to congratulate the American snowboarding chick who had to show off on the final jump and lost the gold because of it. It reminded me how much I hate the Winter Olympics ever since they brought in X-game events. We're very proud of our slacker X-gamers!

Note to skateboarders: Skateboarding is not a sport. Please stop considering yourselves athletes.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Note to skateboarders: Skateboarding is not a sport. Please stop considering yourselves athletes.

Why not?

Competitive skateboarding is a sport. Why would'nt it be?

ps) I'm not a skateboarder

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Competitive skateboarding is a sport.

Says who? Skateboarders? Do you see surfing in the Summer Olympics? Surfing is more of a sport because the water is unpredictable The only reason they brought in these hack X-gamers is because the Winter Olympic ratings are in the sewer. If it wasn't for figure skating, the Winter Olympics would cease to exist without the influx of X-game events. That still doesn't make it a sport, that's just marketing reality.

Oh, and I'm not just singling out skateboarding and it's various manifestations. Curling is not a sport. Curling is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ok, after looking up the definition of "sport"

Source
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs often undertaken competitively.

I have come to the conclusion that skateboarding is NOT a sport. It and other X-game events have too few rules to be considered a sport.

Curling is not a sport. Curling is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

True.....true.

[edit on 18/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I am coming to the defense of curling, and I am not sure why.

Never was a fan of it, and I find myself gritting my teeth when I click to TSN expecting to get the sports hilights and I see curling. But then I find myself watching it for abit.

I just looked for a source and can not find one, but I have seen where they have recieved the highest ratings of all olympic sports so far.

I guess it does seem stupid, man or woman with a broom in hand sweeping away while throwing rocks. But if you give it a chance it can become interesting.

I am a big billiards fan, so I guess I connect the two alittle bit. Not to mention its a game where Canada does normally put out some medals.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
# an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
# the occupation of athletes who compete for pay

Skateboarding is no less a sport then Ice Dancing or Half-Pipe. Both are voting on by judges who use their completely subjective judgement to decide who wins and who loses.

Curling I agree is not a sport though as no physical exsertion takes place.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Curling I agree is not a sport though as no physical exsertion takes place.

You see those puppies sweeping to get a rock to where it needs to be? They're not sweating for nothing. As much activity as baseball or cricket imo.

BTW, haven't seen AMM lately, did he go over there to compete?

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Skateboarding is no less a sport then Ice Dancing or Half-Pipe. Both are voting on by judges who use their completely subjective judgement to decide who wins and who loses.

Exactly, so skateboarding is NOT a sport. Neither is figure skateing and half-pipe. It's a hobby, a game, but not a sport.

I don't think sports have judges that determine who the winner is. Sports have officials (umps and refs) that interpret and carry the rules of the game during the game.

Well, I guess that's why they call it the Winter Games, not the winter sports

[edit on 18/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by SportyMB
Competitive skateboarding is a sport.

Says who? Skateboarders? Do you see surfing in the Summer Olympics? Surfing is more of a sport because the water is unpredictable The only reason they brought in these hack X-gamers is because the Winter Olympic ratings are in the sewer. If it wasn't for figure skating, the Winter Olympics would cease to exist without the influx of X-game events. That still doesn't make it a sport, that's just marketing reality.

Oh, and I'm not just singling out skateboarding and it's various manifestations. Curling is not a sport. Curling is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Peace

As as a guy who grew up spending my summers at my uncles surf shop, I can tell you that skateboarding is most definitely a sport. Have you ever been on a half pipe? The raw leg strength and indurence needed to compete at a pro level is rediculous. The skill involved is insane as well. I don't think people understand just how hard it is to do even the most simple thing on a skate board, such as an olie (jump, for those who don't know the lingo), never mind something like a kick flip (an olie where the board rotates along it's length) into some sort of grind (landing with the board balanced on a rail or curb while moving forward) and then doing a varial (spinning the board in the air under you) into a manual (doing a wheelie). Those pros are pretty sick athletes. They have absolutely insane amounts of fast twitch muscle fibers in their legs.

I'm about as traditinal as you can get when it comes to sports - I my self was a very good football and baseball player. I agree with curling not being a sport. However, if skiing and gymnastics are sports, then Surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding are sports as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   

BTW, haven't seen AMM lately, did he go over there to compete?

No, but right now I think I could have won the gold if drinking was a sport... Good God, what a night. :w:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
No, but right now I think I could have won the gold if drinking was a sport... Good God, what a night. :w:

No way man, I've been training for almost 30 years. With a liver my size you'ld have no chance.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

No way man, I've been training for almost 30 years. With a liver my size you'ld have no chance.

You may be more experienced, but I am a bit of a prodigy. Some of my more memorable accomplishments include the 100 second keg stand followed by a chugged beer for emphasis, the handle of vodka in a single night, and my personal fav - killing a keg with 5 friends in under 24 hours. In any case, much like an all-time great stepping away from his sport during his prime, I have retired from such ludicrous feats of drinking.

Yes, going to college in New Orleans probably killed my chances of living past 50.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Being from Oz i dont really get into these winter sports, though i do like the hockey. Anything with a bit of biff has to be good.

Oh and we are pretty happy about the young dude who won us a medal in the moguls(think thats what it was)Even though hes lived here for about 5 minutes and has a very un aussie accent.

And what is it with the curling, you'd think that they would clean the ice before they went out to play.Just my 2c worth.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join