It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest deep-sea shipwrecks discovered off Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 02:57 AM
link   
In 1999 a team of oceanographers and archaeologists led by Titanic discoverer Robert D. Ballard and Harvard University archaeologist Lawrence Stager found the world's oldest deep-sea shipwrecks in the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

WHAT THEY FOUND.

Located about 30 miles (48 kilometers) off Israel, the two shipwrecks date from around 750 B.C., the time of Homer. They lie at depths between 1,000 and 3,000 feet (305 meters and 915 meters). There are three older known shipwrecks, but they are all less than 200 feet (61 meters) down.

The two ships were likely lost in a storm, and both appear to have landed upright on the seafloor. Their wooden hulls have since disintegrated, but hundreds of amphorae on the seafloor spell out the shapes of the vessels that carried them. The larger ship was about 58 feet (18 meters) long, making it the largest known ship from the classical Greek era. The smaller ship measured more than 45 feet (15 meters).

Full Story:

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
that is interesting i guess. Ive never heard of it but o well. I have always thought that we should put more money in exploring earth and cleaning it up and stuff than travelling and doing nothing in space.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
They had a special on the Discovery channel about this I think.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I have always thought that we should put more money in exploring earth and cleaning it up and stuff than travelling and doing nothing in space.

Yeah, I agree. There is far more that we can learn from 2500 year old shipwrecks than from space exploration.

new topics

top topics

join