It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-FEMA Chief Brown Blames DHS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Former FEMA chief Michael Brown isn't taking the "patsy" role lying down. Today he told the Senate Oversight Commitee that the Department of Homeland Security was so focused on terrorism that natural disasters had become a "step child." He went on to say that Homeland Security knew about the levee breeches earlier than previously claimed.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Top Department of Homeland Security officials were told about New Orleans' levee failures the day Hurricane Katrina roared ashore, former disaster chief Michael Brown said Friday, contradicting agency officials who said earlier they were unaware of the severity of the problems until the next day.

"I find it a little disingenuous," Brown, who at the time headed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told a Senate oversight committee. "For them to claim that we didn't have awareness of it is just baloney."

Brown also told senators that decisions and policies by the parent Homeland Security Department doomed FEMA to "a path to failure" that led to the government's slow response to the storm. He said that because of a focus on terrorism, natural disasters "had become the stepchild of the Department of Homeland Security."

In an appearance before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee that blended an atmosphere of both cooperation and confrontation, Brown went far further than he had previously in blaming other elements of the Bush administration for the government's halting reaction to the massive storm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was curious to see how Brown would spin this today, and it's interesting that he seems to have come out with "guns blazing". Reports that came out just previous to his statements today (see links) seem to indicate that he's at least right about the timeline of when the Feds knew about the levees and the seriousness of the issue. What will happen because of all this? Hopefully a better disaster response policy on the part of FEMA and ultimately the Department of Homeland Security.

Related News Links:
ne ws.yahoo.com
www.nytimes.com

[edit on 13-2-2006 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ahh the blame game: This whistleblowing still doesn't excuse Brown's piss poor performance though. Wonder when the masses will figure out the whole damn system is a fetid kleptocracy, the wardens are not going to lock themselves up, and the people have to take back control of the government?

Here's the video of Brown's testimony, choose a format:
Windows Mediaplayer
Apple Quicktime

With all this in mind, I'll leave you with this Bush quote:
"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You know, i watched the whole thing. I beleive Brown. NOT because i am a Democrat or a Republican, but because he sounded like a man telling the truth.

He admitted to his own faults. Its a big government with too much red tape. I hope this will teach all those in authority to to do their jobs better next time there's a catastrophy.

As far as what Bush said:"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."...Oh yes they did. Brown testified to several conversations with the President of the United STates on this one.

I didnt want to politicize it, but what the hey.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by dgtempe]

new topics

join