It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colour vision evolved to spot our blushes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Colour vision may have evolved in primates to help them pick up on changes in blood and oxygen concentrations beneath the skin’s surface, giving access to emotional cues, a new analysis proposes.

Previously research has suggested that primates – the only mammals with the ability to see in colour – evolved this facility to spot ripe fruits or nutritional leaves.

The new analysis compared variations in skin colour change with the colour sensitivities of primate vision cells. These cells, known as cones, sit in the retina of the eye and allow primates to discriminate colour.

www.newscientist.com...

This is the garbage that passes for scientific analysis? Pure speculation at best.

If one can not look into the complexity of the Human eye and find a superior "designer" then mankind is truely doomed from its own stupidity through arrogance.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wow such an insightfull analysis
Even better then the thought proking analysis about the Solar Project in Europe being using to Execute them Terrorists.

Take your Creationist tripe to the Creationism Forum please and thank you.

Here it is in case you missed it.

Origins and Creationism Forum

[edit on 10-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
thermopolis,

You should take a look at this thread. I feel i've raised some very valid concerns in regards to your belief's. I'd sure like some input from s religous perspective and would very much like to debate what everything in that thread means.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As for the eye thing, awsome find! I thank you for posting another prime example supporting evolution.

apc

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I guess people who are color blind are the only ones descended from apes.

And those born blind were conceived by Satan.

And... ah nevermind.

Oh a legitimate note... I thought other mammals were just partially color blind?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
How do we know that monkeys are color blind? Sure they can do all the tests in the world and analyze the results but unless we use the monkeys eye and look through it how can we be 100% sure they are color blind? It sound like to me that they(primates) are just simply seeing the cheeks change from white to red .

apc

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It is possible to tell based on the ratio of rods to cones. If an animal's retina contains little to no cones, they are likely color blind.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
“likely” so they aren’t 100% sure. Right?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
No, they're 100% sure that apes (primates) have color vision. They can distinguish between red and blue of the same value.

So can birds, dolphins (I think) and even your household cat and dog though their vision and color vision isn't quite as good as ours. They tell not only by anatomy but by having animals pick colors.

To partly answer Thermopolis' question -- I think it's questionable conclusions. Being a scientist does not make you immune from making bad conclusions... but if you'll notice, there's not a lot of support in the scientific community for this kind of idea yet. I doubt that there will be; the original explaination of being able to better detect fruits is more plausible because there's color vision in most of the fruit eating species.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
So your saying that they could tell if your skin turned red? Because then that just means that they are seeing the color difference not the blood flushing the area, which now that I think about it that’s kinda the same thing.

join