It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying denial

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
so you must polish potatos for a living. i guess thats ok thats not too bad. it could of been worse. i did a search on potato polisher and the mr. potato head came up and then machines for potatos. so i too did not know what it meant. so i must be ignorant. hum thats what everyone is talking about now isnt it.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think it's good to deny arrogance too when one is looking to deny ignorance, that is to deny them existance, not deny their existance. Oftentimes arrogance will hamper the quest for truth and the creed "deny ignorance"

Merriam-Webster Online

Main Entry: ar·ro·gance
Pronunciation: 'ar-&-g&n(t)s
Function: noun
: a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims

I know that I myself sometimes may come of as that, but I try my very best not to, always telling myself I do not know it all, listen to what this or that person has to say.But I find that a lot of people simply dismiss claims that don't sit too well with them without at least giving it a thought, and then go on to state their cases while in a state of being angered. If anyone sees me commiting this sort of things, please do let me know and remind me to deny arrogance.

To me that sort of behaviour will not lead to denying ignorance, but perpetuate it because you're not addressing the issue or you're oversimplifying things, you wouldn't listen to reason or dismiss everyones thoughts. It's "my way or the highway" type of behaviour. And eventually that itself will lead to hate.

PS. There's no word for arrogance in malay, my native language, but there is a compound word or mini-phrase used in those situations, it's called 'bodoh sombong' made up of the words that mean "stupid" and "proud". I think that's the most succint definition of arrogance -- stupid and proud, or proudly stupid.

[edit to add post-script]

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Firstly, if anything I said was construed as being rude, I apologize. I did not mean for it to be and could see my attitude being somewhat interpreted that way.

Secondly, I did understand your point, I just wanted to clarify that I had actually said two different things. As I didn't make or help decide on the motto I have no idea what the intention was. And I don't pay attention to it very much, really. Some people say it often and that's fine if they want to. Me, I stick to my own principles.

Regarding the inability to deny the chance for ignorance to exist, obviously no one can do that. But they can do their best to help contribute with a goal that eventually ignorance should cease to exist. It might never happen, but it's good to set high goals. Basically, don't be ignorant. Think things through. Research before you post. Consider all options. Then, when you finally pick a side on a particular theory, don't become so tied to that theory that you can't dump it when new evidence arises that shows it may not be as probable as it seemed previously.

That's how I take it. Others may see it differently.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I appreciate your explanation and must say that I can concur with it. If you take it in the realms of this site only then your explanation makes a great deal of sense. The bottom line is don't just jump in with a half a thought that has no reasoning behind it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join