It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Rare MSM Look at the Revolving Door - Mercury Pollution in Illinois

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Trib Link

Public health groups and environmental activists are backing the governor's plan, noting that there have been several successful tests of mercury controls at coal plants. Most involve relatively inexpensive equipment that filters mercury particles.

"We're disappointed these companies are choosing to fight instead of cleaning up," said Jack Darin, director of the Illinois chapter of the Sierra Club. "We would be a lot healthier if these companies spent their money on pollution controls instead of spending it on lawyers and lobbyists."

Her new client, Ameren, would be among the companies hit hardest by Blagojevich's mercury rules. The utility's coal plants released 1,023 pounds of mercury into the air during 2003, the latest year for which figures are available from the U.S. EPA's Toxics Release Inventory.

:shk:

It costs less to fix the problem than fight the regulation, but companies refuse to clean up their act.

What do you think the local cops would do to me if I dumped 1000 pounds of mercury into the freakin' river by my house? Would they give me till 2018 to stop 70% of my criminal behavior?

This article made me smile, because it's a rare look at the revolving door that exists between regulatory agencies and the corporate world. Usually the MSM doesn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole, it's too controversial, but Illinois and Chicago in particular have REAL problems with mercury. It was recently uncovered that a large percentage of the fish sold in the area was deadly by government standards, and the government knew that, but there was literally NO standard for enforcement, so nothing got done.

The worst part is, even if stricter rules were enforced, nobody would abide by them. The regulators have lost their teeth, and apparently their will to be useful. It's a sad state of affairs ladies and gentlemen, and there's no restitution or remediation in sight.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The logic of limiting mercury emissions will drive a rapid worldwide ban. Don't give up, Wyrde. We all eat fish, drink water, eat veggies. A global systemic airborne poison like this can't run free forever. Heck, I even know Republicans that catch fish!

new topics

join