It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News For Rapists & Criminals: British Government Bans Knives

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightscape
i feel england is bending over and taking it, if any senator in the us proposed a bill on banning knives everyone would think hes crazy, i dont know if its just the people dont care or they have been told what to do for so long that there like zombie followers now. ive grown up my entire life with guns, my dad gave me a 22 caliber rifle when i was 8, showed me how to use it, handle it and be safe with it, tuaght me how violance doesnt breed good men and how to be a good man. why dont the parents in other countries teach there children this, especially america where i was born and raised and live. seems to many kids with no respect for anything get a hold of them and do stupid things becuase they were never told to stop doing stupid things or to respect anything.

Nightscape in a sense you've answered the question, you point out how you were brought up with the knowledge and values that enable you to own and handle a gun corectly and responsibly then decry the fact it is not universally applied to other American kids, that's why there are such a massive amount of gun casualties in your country and why I continue to think the freedom to own guns would be a bad thing in the UK with our current social climate.

Anok I am with you on almost everything you say but these are huge, profound changes that society needs to make and the individual has to encompass. I just feel it has to be one step at a time and for these ideals to truely flourish we need a (relatively) safe environment.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Originally posted by ANOK
The Human mind can't kill without the rifle, knife or sword. (pls not a literal statement)

Oh cant they?
Take it judo and karate are just get fit schemes then.

I guess you missed the (pls not a literal statement)?
Of course not only the gun and knife kill, you want me to list everything you can use to kill? Point of my statement was, 'a gun don't kill the person does' is stupid. Try shooting someone with a hammer.
Guns make killing too easy, you are detached from the victim, unlike getting up close with a knife. Most ppl who kill with guns wouldn't have done it with another weopon. It's psycological.

What? You think my statement was FOR arming ourselves?
Anok I was posting AGAINST it, you dont need a knife to kill or maim somone, helll the human mind is the most dangerous weapon on the planet and the will to survive is the strongest know to man!

Sry if I misinterpretrated your post but I just re-read and it still sounds like you were, in a sarcastic way, defending guns. Maybe you should be more clear?

Violence breeds violence.
????Wtf was the pointn in that statement?

Does there need to be a point? It is what it says.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I guess you missed the (pls not a literal statement)?

Yeah I did.

Of course not only the gun and knife kill, you want me to list everything you can use to kill? Point of my statement was, 'a gun don't kill the person does' is stupid. Try shooting someone with a hammer.
Guns make killing too easy, you are detached from the victim, unlike getting up close with a knife. Most ppl who kill with guns wouldn't have done it with another weopon. It's psycological.

Try using an air rifle against someone, thats shooting someone and they can kill.
Any kid can go buy one and take out numerous people at up to and beyond 100 yards.

Sry if I misinterpretrated your post but I just re-read and it still sounds like you were, in a sarcastic way, defending guns. Maybe you should be more clear?

Well I was sarcasticly pointing out that you dont need the latest HK to defend yourself.

Does there need to be a point? It is what it says.

Yeah but I meant whats the point in saying it to me? I know it lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I assume they aren't banning ALL knives. Or else how would you cook, etc? So are knives no longer going to be sold in grocery stores? Ridiculous if you ask me. Next it will be illegal to hold a stick, because you can use it as a weapon.

I HOPE what they mean is they are only banning certain types of knives that are only used for fighting, ie butterfly knives, which are already illegal here anyway.

Another who has jumped in without reading the article or doing any background research.

THERE IS NO BAN AND WILL BE NO BAN

The article referred to an amnesty in a couple of towns with regards to knives and a couple of towns the UK do not make....

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Look we brits will do what we brits think is right, dont like it, dont visit.

then tone it down when it comes to your criticisms of america....sheesh!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
I'd like to see an end to the knife culture flourishing on Britains streets too. I'd also llike to see all those thugs and lowlifes that use them put up against a wall and shot. Is this still too Euro lefty.

Nope. That's a bit fascist if you ask me.

Originally posted by Romeo
Is it not totally apparent that there are FAR fewer violent deaths in countries with strict gun and weapons control.

No, not really.

American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control)

Now that's just ridiculous. CDC is obviously basing their ridiculous claims on the number of legally owned firearms in the country, which is totally out of context imo. Most criminals are smart enough to buy a untraceable gun from the black market to commit their crimes.

If a kid is really suicidal, there's many ways to kill yourself. Jump off a cliff, tall building or a bridge. Jump infront of a car or train. Hang yourself with a rope. Eat a whole cup of sleeping pills etc. The possibilities are endless!
Should we ban cliffs, tall buildings, sleeping pills and ropes too?

The danger of gun ownership is highly overrated. Besides, guns are a fail-safe for freedom and democracy. Governments are known to turn on their people every now and then.

If I were a criminal, I'd rather be one in a country where people can't defend themselves. It just makes commiting crimes that much easier.

And no, I'm not American and I don't live in the U.S.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
then tone it down when it comes to your criticisms of america....sheesh!

Last time I checked I supported america most of the time since she is an ally and I like her but heh think what you want.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwearBear
The danger of gun ownership is highly overrated. Besides, guns are a fail-safe for freedom and democracy. Governments are known to turn on their people every now and then.
If I were a criminal, I'd rather be one in a country where people can't defend themselves. It just makes commiting crimes that much easier

No it's not, problem with guns is it makes it so much easier to kill with.
A lot of people who kill with a gun would not do it if they didn't have a gun.
It's psycological, you are distanced from the victim, unlike using a knife, for example, where you have to get close up and personal.

Crime has nothing to do with whether a population is armed or not. Crime is sociolocial/societal (sp) problem. We could all arm oursleves with nukes, it wouldn't make a difference.

A countrys crime rate has more to do with how it's citizens are treated by the state. If the country has a huge poor population and it's rife with biggotry with a, every man for himself attitude, you're gonna get a lot of crime.
In a country where there is less of a poor/rich devide etc... you get less crime, armed or not. That's putting it very simply, of course there is more to it than that, but just look at countries crime statistics and you'll see.

Just look at the past, we have more weopons now, yet crime is higher than it's ever been. Show me where owning guns de-creases crime.

As far as protecting ourselves from the government, what are you doing now? We have a dictatorship and an out of control government stepping all over people rights, so where are the people standing up with guns in hand to stop this? Sry but your "we need guns to protect us from government" is just an excuse, a fantasy you gun lovers stick to.
How bad does it need to get before you stand up? If you wait any longer there will be no standing up, guns or not. You have seen what they have right? You gonna hold off a tank, or an F-18 with your 45?

Look what happens when ppl do stand up against the gov, can you say Waco? Ruby Ridge?

Thinking you can overthrow a rogue government by being armed is a fantasy. Armed or unarmed, you go against government you end up dead.

America will never, no matter how bad gov gets (could it get any worse?) come together against it. You'll still have too many sheeple, who will always side with authority. Look what happens whenever any 'group' trys to fight government with arms, they are labeled terrorists or whatever, and the population just buys the gov lies and nothing changes.

Keeping the population armed just to protect from government is a fantasy!
Guns cause far more problems than they solve.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join