It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News For Rapists & Criminals: British Government Bans Knives

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
www.infowars.com...

Now I feel a great deal safer. The criminal who is prepared to break in your home and rip you to shreds in cold blood will finally see the error of his ways and comply with Charles Clarke's PR campaign and turn in his knives.

We know that's not how it works. Self-indulgent do-gooders who think they're misbehaving by as much as crossing a road on a red light will pave the way for law-abiding citizens to be disarmed of even their trusty kitchen knife. What's next? Will we be allowed to own baseball bats? How about just forcefully wrapping us all in cotton wool and keeping us all in rubber rooms?

news.independent.co.uk...

This is just another push for the EU. Europe is close to being united into one idenity, being the country of Europe and the EU has planes for this, one currency, one military, one nation. First disarm the people (well as many as you can) then do what you want.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
ok i dont believe for one second that knives are going to be banned that is just rediculous and europe becoming one nation, that is not going to happen either, something like this is not going to happen in our lifetimes.

[edit on 9-2-2006 by nightscape]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow did you even read the UK news artical, its admited and my friends in the UK have confirmed it and they really are putting bins outside police stations for UK citizens to put there knives in? What else do you need?

I recommend you just watch alittle of this documentry at least 10 minutes its called "The Real Face Of The European Union"

www.prisonplanet.com...

Its online for free now so at least check it out.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Interesting documentary. I dont see why any country in Europe would want to join under one banner and basically throw away their national identity. Its ridiculous really. I hope to God the UK stays out of this one. I need to talk to some of my friends over there and find out what they know and think about all of this.

Cug

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz
Wow did you even read the UK news article, its admited and my friends in the UK have confirmed it and they really are putting bins outside police stations for UK citizens to put there knives in? What else do you need?

I don't think we are getting the full story. The same article also said they are raising the age to buy a knife from 16 to 18.

Perhaps they are banning double edged knifes, or big knifes, or non-folding knifes, or...

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Its an amnesty to turn in illegaly owned knifes, not a ban on knifes. Suggest you read the story you post before spouting un-truths.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
...to be followed shortly by bans on Cricket bats, pointy sticks, forks, rolling pins, anything made of glass.... we'll only be allowed things made of sponge so we don't hurt ourselves or each other

I get a bit sick of being constantly told how to live my life, what I can and cannot do or say, how fast I can drive, having all means of protection removed and self defence criminalised. A cynic might think it's all part of disarming the population to enable a stricter police state and compliance to the government will

I will continue to carry my trusty Victorinox multitooled locking blade knife with me as I have always done. It's a handy tool and carrying it does NOT make me a menace to society. People who use knives or guns in the pursuit of criminal activities will always do so, ban or no ban.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm very sorry to hear that. Freedom in the UK just took one giant leap backward and over something so stupid as knives. I used to take pocket knife to school. Now, you'd be strung up from the school flagpole. This should be a lesson to all Americans. Keep an eye on Australia and the UK to see just what we have to lose.

Oh, and join the National Rifle Association. Protect your freedoms while they still exist.

washingtontimes.com

[edit on 2006/2/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Oh man..I cnat believe the british just bend over and take this....how can you illegally own a knife?
are you telling me you have to register to owna freaking knife? can anyone say WHIPPED!

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Oh man..I cnat believe the british just bend over and take this....how can you illegally own a knife?
are you telling me you have to register to owna freaking knife? can anyone say WHIPPED!

Again, it would help if you read the story and brushed up a bit. No knife is "illegal", however, you can illegally carry knives. What this amnesty was for is so people who would otherwise have combat knives, flip knives or some such, for the sole purpose of committing a crime/self defence, whatever, can go and get rid of these weapons without the police giving them a hard time as to why they had them.

No one is bending over here, it's just an amnesty for the dregs to go and hand in their weapons without being prosecuted for carrying it.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It's not (yet) illegal to own a knife, just to carry one in a public place.

Sure, there are a lot of injuries and deaths from stabbings, even creeping in to some schools now, but that is down to who is wielding the knife, not the knife itself.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
you mean like butterfly knives? actually called a balisong..... are these types of knives illegal in your country? Im just curious....

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If you are over 16 (I think) you can buy any type of knife, from a simple pocket knife to a samurai sword. The carrying of any knife in a public place is illegal though. So, if I was stopped in a random search and they found my Victorinox knife, I could face prosecution for carrying an offensive weapon. Many people have been arrested for this type of "crime" in the past, or had the knife confiscated.
You don't actually have to commit a crime with the knife, just carrying it is justification for some over-zealous police officer to arrest you.
I'm an outdoors type of guy and carry it in my belt pack all the time as it's a handy multi-tool. Ok, I could use it to harm someone, or I could run them down in my car or cave their skull in with my big MagLite torch, but for the moment my torch and car are not on the banned list

Obviously if you have some little turd hanging around the streets and is found to be carrying a knife then it's a fair bet that he or she is up to no good and the police should exercise some degree of common sense in their treatment of the person. Also the type of knife being carried should also be a consideration. A multi-tooled knife carried by a seemingly responsible person should not be the same as some youth carrying a 12" butchers knife, a non-folding bladed military type knife or a replica Klingon Dagger!

Unfortunately, Common sense seems to play an ever decreasing role in policing these days

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
God this is stupid...

okay Americans... you know when you get arrested for possession of a concealed weapon (e.g. firearm in the glove box etc etc)...

it's kinda the same with knives on the street here in the UK.

Plenty of people get stabbed where I live... usually kids who don't realise how dangerous it is to stab someone until that person is bleeding to death internally after a minor scuffle...

a knife amnesty is just a way of getting offensive knives off the street... the thought police isnt going to make UK citizens cook with blunt pencils and styrofoam spatulas...

Q

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This sort of thinking could only make sense to a Euro-lefty. Even nitwit dems in the US have learned that gun control is a loser for them. No one who supports gun control would ever put a sign in front of their home saying: “This is a gun free home.” That’s because they and YOU know that criminals prefer unarmed victims.

God bless America and the wisdom of our founding fathers. If someone enters my house uninvited, they’ll be staring at the business end of my .45 ACP GLOCK 30 and I will empty the magazine at them.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by ElTiante]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElTiante
This sort of thinking could only make sense to a Euro-lefty.

I would like to see the end of an increasingly popular knife culture amongst, predominantly, young males, and support any initiative/legislation that will help to combat it...does this make me a 'Euro-lefty'.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan
I would like to see the end of an increasingly popular knife culture amongst, predominantly, young males, and support any initiative/legislation that will help to combat it...does this make me a 'Euro-lefty'.

Yes, if you’re foolish enough to think that new laws will have any effect on criminals. Criminals will always be armed; their profession requires it.

If you want to reduce violent crime, all that need be done is to lock up violent criminals for a long, long time.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by ElTiante]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If anyone is particularly interested, here's an article in the Evening Times (Glasgow paper) about knife violence and numbers of knife assaults in the city.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk...

I don't think that *anyone* has a rational excuse for carrying a concealed weapon with them, and frankly, if it gives the police something else to arrest street gangs for when they do stop and search, so much the better. That's who this sort of stuff is aimed at.

And if that makes me an (expat) *Euro Lefty* so much the better.

As for guns....well, 30,000+ dead Americans in 2002? Isn't that ten times more than 9/11?

www.ichv.org...

Thank God I live in Canada.

TD

[edit on 10-2-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's the context of carrying the knife that is the key to understanding this.
If you, for example, go into town on a Saturday night with pretty much any knife, even that non-locking sub 3 inch blade 'allowed' under the law, I'd suggest that you would have to work pretty hard to justify why you were carrying it (... and thats perfectly justified I'd say - why would you be carrying a knife in those circumstances?).

Likewise if you were a trades person for example ('allowed' catagories aren't defined in law), using a 6 inch fixed bladed knife at work, for an entirely legitimate purpose, say hoof trimming or as a butcher maybe, then the situation is likely to be viewed differently as you could show perfectly good cause for owning it. Mind you, if you were waving it around unrelated to the work you were doing, then it might well become an offense at that point.

For a clear FAQ on knife ownership in the UK, have a look at this sticky over on the britishblades forum.

It'll help set some this into context.

Link

[Edit: Text amendments to make the possibility of interpretation more woolly and ill-defined]

[edit on 10-2-2006 by 0951]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join