It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Little Words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am one of the simple people the world over, who simply gets annoyed at the double meaning that others give to simple words.

For example I give you the very humble plane!

Now to be pedantic, a plane is used in carpentry to shave wood off ill fitting
doors, window frames, chest-of-drawers or what have you.

However, the word is also used to describe the aeroplane or an aircraft.

Then of course, we have the all powerful gun! A gun, is usually a piece of artillery designed to fire a shell at distant targets.

On the other hand (excuse the pun) we have the Handgun. This is usually a small calibre weapon designed for close quarter combat. The Gun is bigger than the Handgun but we seem only to be able to refer to guns.

What other words have double meanings and what annoys you about their incorrect use?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Actually fritz your word 'plane' is not a double meaning. It actually means 'glide' and an 'aeroplane' literally means 'glides through the air' while a wood plane glides across the surface of the wood (it is the blade that shaves the wood, not the plane)'. When a car 'aquaplanes' in wet weather its tyres are lifted off the surface of the road and it skids over the surface of the water. So Plane actually only has one literal meaning and it fits perfectly

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It even pains me to type it:

Irregardless.

Ugh.

People, this is NOT a word. The prefix, Ir-, means "not". Regard means "observe closely". The suffix -less means "without".

How can you use "not observation without"? It simply doesn't make sense.

The proper word is "regardless".

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
supposably.........

And 'you know' i hear it so much , it's just a filler in their sentence as people try and come up with what they want to say next, i've counted it a couple times and i've heard people say it 8-15 times in a couple sentences!

In high school it was 'like' and now in adulthood it's 'you know'

ugh!! :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Waynos, you got me bang to
rights.

In my defence, I'm still very ill and can't even remember half of what I type.

I do so agree with your comment TrueLies. I have noticed an ever increasing use in the military during training, of the word, Okay?

Okay to me signifies that all is well, or you are happy and at one with the world.

But saying something like, 'Today, we're going to learn bayonet fighting', okay?, leaves my blood cold.

Why cant people learn to err, express themselves properly and be umm, grammatically correct okay?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
No worries fritz, I like it when I can look clever, which isn't that often.

The speech patterne that annoys me is the one where pitch of every sentence rises towards the end as if its a question'

I can't really demonstrate it on the internet but watch any episode of Home and Away or Neighbours and you'll see what I mean.

My next door neighbour does it all the time (read that last sentence again and imagine the word 'all the time' intoned as if at the end of a question) and as lovely as she is I want to scream at her to STOP IT!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The one thing (actually it's just one of thousands, maybe even millions) I can not stand is people who pronounce the word "ask" as if it were spelled "axe".

It's only 3 freaking letters long people!!! Are you that mentally challanged?!?!?!?!

join