It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans massive data sweep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The US government is developing a massive computer system that can collect huge amounts of data and, by linking far-flung information from blogs and e-mail to government records and intelligence reports, search for patterns of terrorist activity.

The system - parts of which are operational, parts of which are still under development - is already credited with helping to foil some plots. It is the federal government's latest attempt to use broad data-collection and powerful analysis in the fight against terrorism. But by delving deeply into the digital minutiae of American life, the program is also raising concerns that the government is intruding too deeply into citizens' privacy.

source: www.csmonitor.com...

Nothing new conceptually as we've already heard about Echilon & Carnivore. Privacy groups will no doubt have a field day with this.

Personally I'm against this type of information collection due to the fact that I don't know exactly who sees and what they do with it. I know some will pause and give the ol 'well if you don't have anything to hide don't worry about it' schtick but that song & dance is for the weak minded. It just smacks of too much big brother for me to be comfortable with. Best thing to do is avoid any type of paper or electronic trail. I try to buy everything with cash and avoid giving out any type of personal information. It's not paranoia, it's just no one else's damn business.

brill

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
lol thats a trip

as 2 your topic
fair enough
i suppose we are entitled to some privacy

its not like your asking much

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
..Best thing to do is avoid any type of paper or electronic trail. I try to buy everything with cash and avoid giving out any type of personal information..

Too late! (you're on/in the net)

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hmm... yeah, I don't know how they would determine “patterns of terrorist activity” from normal everyday well informed people. I look up a lot of topics concerning politics, government, terrorism and the military. I would have a real laugh if the FBI showed up in my door.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Hmm... yeah, I don't know how they would determine “patterns of terrorist activity” from normal everyday well informed people. I look up a lot of topics concerning politics, government, terrorism and the military. I would have a real laugh if the FBI showed up in my door.

Yes it's a posibility, they do pass laws sort of" you cant say, i hate vegtables"it is in some state.

This is a plan, no information no nothing, knolege will be a crime.

new topics

top topics

join