It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN rejects US vision for it's continuing role in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   

The United Nations' future in Iraq was thrown into doubt after Secretary-General Kofi Annan rejected United States proposals on the role it should take.

Mr Annan stressed to the 15-member Security Council on Thursday that he could not accept the terms of a new US draft resolution, which did not incorporate his suggestions on how to handle the eventual transfer of political power in Iraq.

the full story is here

Transfer power or risk more guerilla attacks: Annan

And the standoff continues........

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Kofi said what? "Transfer power or risk more guerilla attacks: Annan."
The UN has proven itself only being barely worthy of a debating society and an out-to-lunch bunch.
Let me get this straight:
Annan says if the UN can't run the show, he doesn't want to play?!
Perhaps Kofi needs to elaborate on "if" and "when" he is going to return those billions belonging to Iraqis that he his holding....maybe?!
Lets see.....Kofi wants to run the "show" in Iraq, and out with the US....oh, btw....keep that 87 billion coming, too!

Found this article by Reuters:
"Iraq attacks Annan, says war kills 1,250 civilians"

4-3-03 | By Hassan Hafidh
"BAGHDAD, April 3 (Reuters) - Iraq's foreign minister attacked the U.N. secretary-general on Thursday and said he had helped the U.S.-led invasion in which he said some 1,250 Iraqi civilians had been killed since March 20.

"We have now more than 1,250 civilians killed and 5,000 injured all over the country since the beginning of the war," Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri told Reuters in an interview in Baghdad's central Palestine hotel.

Sabri accused U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan of doing nothing to stop the war and said he had actually facilitated the invasion by U.S. and British troops two weeks ago.

"The U.N. secretary-general has done nothing to stop the war, in fact the U.N. secretary-general has done something in the opposite direction.

"He has facilitated the invasion. He has withdrawn the UNSCOM people between Kuwait and Iraq so as to open the border for the enemy force to invade Iraq," said Sabri, referring to the withdrawal of U.N. arms inspectors.

UNSCOM was created in April 1991 by the U.N. Security Council to send inspectors to hunt for Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction. Baghdad denies it has any. The inspectors were withdrawn on March 18, two days before the start of the war."

Moral of the whole topic: "Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!"

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't agree with you Seekerof but........

"Moral of the whole topic: "Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!""

This is a great analogy for your argument.

I do admire a good analogy even if I don't agree.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm often wrong John bull1....but I am glad that at least my analogy made you and I smile.

Thanks.

regards
seekerof

new topics

top topics

join