It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Navy gets largest ships since USSR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
On February 9 Itar-Tass reported

- Russia's Navy is planning to order some 40 corvettes, ten for each fleet. The first vessel of this class will make the maiden voyage as early as this May,

The first two corvettes will be given to the Northern and Baltic Fleets.

Simultaneously, efforts are underway to round up production capacities and place an orders for building such corvettes with a Maritime shipyard, to replenish the taskforce of Russia's Pacific Fleet.

They will replace small submarine hunters of Project 1124M because as they surpass them to a considerable extent in firepower and seagoing qualities.

In late January, Russian Deputy Prime Minister, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov briefed a meeting of the Maritime board under the Russian government on the corvette project.

The corvette is intended for such mission as the protection of water areas and ensuring of a favorable operations regime for surface ships and submarines in coastal areas.

Its primary function is the search and monitoring of submarines and the fight against them.

It has a displacement of 3,000 tons, a speed of up to 35 knots and fuel endurance of 10 days.

The main weapons include anti-submarine missiles, air defense systems, torpedoes and artillery systems.

It will be the largest surface ship ever built after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The project will be completed by 2009.

Masorin's aide Igor Dygalo said the frigate has a displacement of 4,500 tonnes and a cruising range of 4,000 miles.

It will carry anti-ship cruise missiles, anti-submarine missile and artillery complexes and a Ka-32 helicopter.

detailed source :
www.itar-tass.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I must be missing something right here...

The Russian Government announces here in February.that they are going to build a fleet of 40 corvettes..from thier shipyards.
The first is to be launched in May.??????
How long have they been working on this project?? The lead lag time in a project ..any project is quite lengthy. Especially the design approval time..Especially for a 40 ship fleet.
Good ships ..even Corvettes ...are not shake and bakes...you just put them in the soil and sprinkle water on them and wolaaaa.. you have a boat.
Building a ship is not something one does between sound bites.or commercial interruptions.
Strange article here..something is missing.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
This is not much more than a coastal defence corvette, range 4000 miles and 10 days endurance, not going to be challenging the US or NATO fleets with those now are they!

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
That is also not what they are ment for. Im sure that these corvettes will be excellent for theire task.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm sure the Russians are very well aware of the export market for ships in this class.

And of course a coastal defense ship is not going to be engaging major surface in blue water - that's not what they're meant for. I am sure the LCS will not be seeking out and engaging Sovremenny's either...

It appears I spoke too soon in the earlier "mini-Kirov" thread.
The image that led that thread, which I assumed to be fan art, appears to be a rendering of the new Project 22350 frigate.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I think the article is refering to project 2038.it will be armed with something like 6 Klubs or 8 Urans, Kashtans/Shtil-1-VLs, Torpedoes and such and a single Ka-28 Helicopter.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'd call that a frigate.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
What is concievable is these engaged with LCSs, as both seem to be in roughly the same design role of littoral combat. From the few details avilable, I think the Russians are probrably going with a minimalist approach of building a new hull and applying know weapons sytems. A realatively simple task n compairison to desinging and building a fully intergrated combat system for a ship like a destroyer.

(gotta hand it to the Russians, they can make some good looking ships)

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't know if LCS would want to tangle with one.

The heaviest ASuW armament I have seen listed for LCS is a 57mm gun.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
More likely, the LCS would be attempting to engage via remote controlled small boats. It has no business engaging anything more than 14 foot long. It does however have quite a bit of business hanging out in the same litoral waters these should operate in, making these corvettes ideal for denying those waters to the U.S. ships.

(by the way, the Bofors 57mm has an insane rate of fire!)

new topics

top topics

join