It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save Rotherham United FC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sad news today, the Football club I've supported for 38 years and which my grandad played for in 1924 is nearing the end of the road. The money has run out and Rotherham United may be gone in a few weeks time. I am devastated and I curse the greedy, grasping Permiership that since its creation in 1992 has driven nearly all other English professional clubs to the poverty line by sucking up all the cash.

www.rotherhamtoday.co.uk...

www.themillers.premiumtv.co.uk...

If anyone wishes to donate to the cause of saving this proud and historic football club please donate whatever you can comfortable afford. Conacts available on the RUFC official site linked above. I wish Bill Gates would discover hes got ancestors from Rotherham.

[edit on 9-2-2006 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Just to bump it to the top again, and add that this club can trace its history all the weay back 1870 and should not be allowed to die. You might not have heard of them but I was at a League game where we beat Chelsea 6-0! Hard to believe now.

Thing is, any donations would not be thrown down a bottomless pit as their is a business plan in place that would make the club perfectly viable by September this year. The tragedy is they may not get to September and more than a century of sporting history in the town (an unemployment blackspot in the UK) will come to a close.

Sorry for banging on like this, but a big effort is about to get underway to try and save the club. This is just me doing a bit to help.

[edit on 9-2-2006 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sorry to bring the begging bowl out again, there is now a link where donations can be made via paypal and nochex, if anyone wants to.

Please don't allow yourselves to be swayed by the hackneyed cliche image of the 'football hooligan'. This is real life, real football, where my wife and kids happily go with me, the life blood of english sport. Please help if you can on the following link

Save the Millers

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that Waynos. I actually knew a guy who, if I remember correctly, was scouted by them. He ended up signing with FC Gueugnon though. Hell of a player he was in high school.

In any case, what is their situation? I am a very casual Soccer fan, mostly because I got back into playing it recently...That, and I find it very entertaining to watch unlike 85% of my country men.

Do they need investors? Are there share holders? Whats the deal?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Maybe you should ask Roman Ambramovich for a loan You should try to buy as many shares as possible, as football clubs are PLC's, so go on the stock exchange website and buy shares!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Buying shares isn't an option as there are only a few clubs who are PLC's and RUFC aren't one of them.

AMM, I'm astonished that you have heard of Rotherham United as we have never played in the top tier of English Football, but we have got a long and proud history, the club was formed under the name Thornhill United in 1870 (Thornhill is a district of Rotherham and the name changed as the club grew in the early 1900's).

In a nutshell the situation is this, the ex chairman and club owner, now in his 80's, decided to quit at the end of last season, a group of fans who are relatively monir businessmen then took over to keep the club alive as Mr Booth was going the shut it down and sell the ground for development, however Mr Booth still kept ownership of the ground in payment of a £3million debt that the club owed him (yes, his own club). This means that the club is now operating entirely on the proceeds of gate reciepts and owns no assets, though it still plays at the ground which it now rents from Booth.

The new board realised that new income streams needed to developed to make the club a viable company and to that end grants were obtained to pay for a new stand to be built which incorporates facilities, like a restaurant and such like, which can earn money every day rather the 'once a fortnight' that football brings in. Unfortunately the club needs to raise enough money to stay in business long enough for the new stand to be completed (September) and may be forced to close in the next few weeks as not owning the ground means they have no equity to borrow against and also would not be allowed to enter 'administration', the safety net by which many other football clubs have survived. However income from the stand would meran this situation can be avoided in future, but they REALLY need help to reach September.

Thats the reason for the current 'Millers Aid' appeal. Please help in any small way if you can.

Roman Abramovich has donated £20k and also urged anyone else who can easily afford suchg a sum to do the same. This is a marvellous gesture by someone for whom Rotherham does not even appear on the radar and I hope some others will be inspired to help too (but not £20k obviously, even £5 (about $9US) will be gratefully recieved by the Millers.

Thank you anyone who took the trouble to read this and thank you again if you contributed too.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Out with the 1920's

and so nearly into the 21st century (picture from this week)

So that the people of Rotherham can have many more years of this! We pray.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I used to play a game called Championship Manager, which was basically a soccer management simulator. It has every single league and player in the world, which is mostly how I have heard of the 2nd and 3rd divisions. Plus, like I said, I had a buddy back in the day whom I am fairly certain was scouted by them, but ended up going to college and is now playing in the French second division.

Waynos, does the club have any players they could sell on the transfer market?

In any case, I feel your pain my friend. My grandfather played baseball for the former Philadelphia Athletics. Of course, they were moved to Oakland a while back, thus severing the local ties. Not quite the same as losing the club completely I understand, but I can kind of relate.

In any case, I have an idea for how I might be able to help you out. I play soccer with some friends in an indoor league, and we have fundraisors every two weeks at the local watering hole which sponsors us. We only need about $1500 to pay for league fees and jerseys, and we almost always end up making far more then that. I'll ask my buddies if they'd mind donating any of the extra money we come up with. Most of them are pretty die hard soccer fans - a few of them are from England in fact. I think it's likely we could come up with a few hundred bucks for your club and that they'd agree to donate it.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
AMM, that would be a wonderful gesture if you can do it, thank you so much, if you tell me the name of the team I will publish it on Millers MAD (the fans messageboard where most of the fundraising is being coordinated from). I know my fellow supporters would be extremely thankful, as I am. You might even want to drop by yourself, the link is in my post above where I mention online donations, bigrich who runs the site is a personal friend of mine and is absolutely working his gonads off to raise money for the club. Tempers are frayed on there at the moment, but only with each other as some seek to apportion blame. Visitors are warmly welcomed.

Unfortunately, thanks to new rules that came into force only this season, the transfer market is now closed until the summer so no players can be sold. We are also trying to claim £100,000 from Southend United for a Transfer of one of our players that they have reneged on, which is something else we could do without. People warned when this rule was first mooted that it would hit the smaller clubs and their words are coming true in the first season in which it has been in effect.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's my pleasure Waynos. I personally love competative sports, and was part of the first generation of Americans who actually grew up playing soccer. If I can help, I gladly will.

I'm looking forward to the day where the US can be competative with the likes of England, Spain, France, Brazil, Argentina, etc. Maybe if Adu ends up in Chealsea like it is speculated, he will develope into a world class star and we will be closer to that goal.

I'd like to wait untill we actually have some money to donate though before I start promising anything. Last season, I believe we ended up making about $1,800 from our 3 fundraisers. This Tuesday - Valantines day - will be our first of 3 for this season, so it will probably be about 6 weeks before we'd have anything to donate anyway. I hope that it isn't too long of a wait.

Good luck with it in any case.

BTW, any idea of how much money in total needs to be raised for them to be in good shape? Or how much a month?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
hi waynos, i'm a rotherham lad myself!!

where abouts you from?? - i don't personally support rotherham united (i'm manchester united fan)
but they are my 2nd team!!

i go to watch them sometimes and it will sure be a sad for the whole of rotherham if the club goes into liquidation!! - i put some money a box of them the other week when i was clubbing down town.

but you'd think a rotherham businessman will come in with a sponsership deal for the club, (lets hope someone does eh)?

things were going so well for them last season too, they were in the championship (infact they've been there for 3 seasons), where's all the money gone??

[edit on 11-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
They are looking at a total of £1m, but includes all forms of revenue from gate reciepts and merchandise sales as well as sponsorships so its not as if they are trying to get £1m donated. If you can send something in about 6 weeks that should be fine, although the worst case scenario suggests four weeks is the limit I think they will at least extend that if the response looks like it will be enough to save them.

steve-0, I'm from Rawmarsh (Sandhill) but have lived in Maltby since 1976. The person to ask about where the money has gone would be the ex-chairman, although to be fair the club has never been loppy with money.

top topics

join