It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a Cell Phone, You could be tracked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well I knew that cell phones always had a chip in them for 911 calls and what not but I didnt know how easy ( in the UK for now) it was for someone to track your where abouts. After reading this article I can see how this would be used to track pretty much anyone who carries a cell phone. Im sure it wont be long till this comes to North America.

Cell Phones Trackable

What amazes me is that anyone could track you. All you have to do is accept once and your every movement is tracked. Its pretty kewl technology but im sure it has alot of bad sides.. especially for the conspiricy people...lol

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Im pretty sure that if the public sector has the ability to do this then the gov, at least u.s., can do it much easier this shouldn't really be surprising

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Well for the paranoid people amongst us they will not like this at all,

But for people who wish to know where they're family members are I think it's a good idea

you can also find out if your B/f or G/f is playing away from home

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This is how they put away the Omagh bombers - they could prove from mobile phone traces exactly (well, to within 2 meters or so) where the bombers were at the times they made phone calls... So the prosecution could see that the bombers were driving towards Omagh in the morning, then after the blast, they drove back into the Republic of Ireland...

I'm sure this would be available in the States as well - it only relies upon you turning your mobile on, and it then registers with the nearest antenna. I don't think theres anything special in the technology, its just a byproduct of how it works.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Well im not sure how it is here in Aus, but they could easily track what suburb you are in by which mobile station your phone is logged on. But exact locations?
I remember years ago as a youth, mobile phones where easy to come by and were very common. While nowdays from waht i have heard from others it has become quiet hard becasue of tracking technology in the newer phones. So maybe the new tracking system can provide your exact location?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
It's not *that* easy to track mobile phones, it takes some effort. Look at cell/mobile phone triangulation, it's hardly the easist thing in the world!

More freaky is a similar method of tracking mobile/cell phones which have been turned off...I've seen this done at work but have no idea how it works...Now, that is scary.

Here is one of the website the article talks about, I've seen a few others on the web. They've been used by empolyers to trace employees when they take sickes I think. Talk about opening a big can of ethics.

Edit: Added link.

[edit on 9/2/2006 by FactoryLad]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well any "good" spy will tell you that when on location, if carrying a cell phone, the battery is installed ONLY when in use and it is expected that the call is logged.

The trick is known to just about every two-bit crook in the cellular age: If you don't want the cops to know where you are, take the battery out of your cell phone when it's not in use.

Even when not in use, a cell phone sends a periodic signal indicating its location, enabling the worldwide cellular network to know where to look for it in case of an incoming call.

Those signals allowed police investigating Abu Omar's mysterious disappearance to ultimately construct an almost minute-by-minute record of his abduction, and to identify nearly two dozen people as his abductors.

CIA's bungled Italy job

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkleyThe trick is known to just about every two-bit crook in the cellular age: If you don't want the cops to know where you are, take the battery out of your cell phone when it's not in use.

Yes! That's it! That's how phones are tracked even when their switched off, thanks for reminding me smirkley.

[edit on 9/2/2006 by FactoryLad]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It doesn't matter wether your phone is turned off or on it can be tracked if there is a power cell in it.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hmmm... This is actually old news to me and most other South Africans. One of the cell phone networks has been providing this feature as a service for at least 6 months now... Vodacom Tracking service
It's ideal for parents to keep track of their kids, worried husbands, etc. Seems like South Africans aren't as paranoid as the rest of the world? ...

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Boy, talk about old news. GPS is really the least of your worries. You can turn that off, so that it only works with 911 or its equivalent. If your cell phone is on, it can be tracked by the towers it's contacting periodically and especially if your actually using the phone. Cell phones are radios. People need to get that straight. Anything you put on the airwaves can be monitored and the cell phone system is perfect for tracking and made even better by GPS technology. I leave mine on all the time. I want the man to know where I am at all times, but that's just me.

[edit on 2006/2/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The actual call cannot be monitored. While they do log the fact you made a call, and to what number (for your bill naturally!), what was said is encryted these days, and is impossible to crack.

I say impossible, meaning impossible through the use of "regular" technology - a couple of years ago, there was an attempt by either the US or UK Government(s) (I can't remember which, or if it was both), that the mobile phone companies use a less complex encryption routine, but the companies refused. I wouldn't like to say if governments are able to break the encryption now though. My guess would still be a no.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
They obviously couldn't monitor all phone calls but what if your conversation triggered of Echelon or something similiar. Meaning some keywords in your conversation started a process that enables the call to be monitored...in the name of national security in these dangerous times...

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
~L~

...i'm perplexed...

tek_604 wrote

"... What was said is encrypted these days, and is impossible to crack..."

the next post...

deessell wrote

"...What if your conversation triggered of Echelon or something similar.
Meaning some keywords...started a process...call to be monitored..."

something 'Fishy' here,
as in... if a persons personal+private wireless
phone call is transmitted in an 'unbreakable encryption'.....

then how is Echelon, or Condor, or some 3rd generation code - able to
unscramble the cell phone encryption and be able to 'recognize' KeyWords ??

which begs the question, are your phone messages 'secure' as They would like you to believe?
(that should surely bring in a bevy of ACLU lawyers to address 'False Advertising' claims, etc, etc...)

-OR-

are we being told half-truths, in the best 'lawyer-ese' language.
perhaps anyones conversation is secure, but the component words are quickly de-scrambled by the HomelandSecurity monitoring programs...
which in turn 'red-flags' the message (not the conversation per se)
for further scrutiny...
As the phone carriers are "required" to assist the DHS in decyphering
their propriatary encryption codes being used IF they want to retain their 'carrier' licenses?!
and remain the good, civic minded corporations.....

and on-&-on-&-on we go, down the rabbit hole !!!

just wondering

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
That tech has been used quite a long time here in Finland. Parents can actually open a service where they can see the wereabouts of their kids online.

And recently one person went missing and he was traced by his cellphone. Did you know that a cellphone can be turned into a microphone if it has its battery on? And this works even if it has been turned off. That is the reason why in all top meetings people take the batteries off their phones.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hello Friends:

I think we have gone true this before

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by warriorwolfpr
Hello Friends:

I think we have gone true this before

Let's tak about it again !

Don't worry about Big Brother - Big Mother is here:
Mobile Phone for Children as a tracking device

People tracking is no longer just the stuff of covert military operations or spy movies. Putting mobile phones and GPS together is an ideal technological marriage, says an expert in the technology, Associate Professor Andrew Dempster of the University of NSW.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hello friends:

The "feds" are always listening,watching, cheking on people
like me and you. They use all kind of stuff to do this Radar,Sattelites,
low jacks,microphones you cell they'll go in your e-mail and your hard disk.
If you want to really see how much they check on you,see if you can get
a scanner and listen to 165.2350 Mhz this is a federal frequency for
D.E.A. and U.S. Coustoms.It will open your eyes

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tek_604
The actual call cannot be monitored. While they do log the fact you made a call, and to what number (for your bill naturally!), what was said is encryted these days, and is impossible to crack.

I say impossible, meaning impossible through the use of "regular" technology - a couple of years ago, there was an attempt by either the US or UK Government(s) (I can't remember which, or if it was both), that the mobile phone companies use a less complex encryption routine, but the companies refused. I wouldn't like to say if governments are able to break the encryption now though. My guess would still be a no.

Well, just to give you an idea, last summer I attended a public meeting at a local university where they explained how it's possible to break the strongest A5/1 crypto for GSM cellphone protocol used in North America and Europe. The A5/2 version is the weaker one more easily breakable with a personal computer. The NSA nerds were present in the room obviously, but I assure you that cellphone crypto can be decoded by dumb people like me with a bit of efforts, no extraterrestrial technology involved, this can be done with off the shelf computers and used radio equipement purchased from Ebay. Moral of the story, do not say anything over the phone that you wouldn't want to be heard by third parties, walls have ears.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
everyone is tracked...the government tracks everyone, and manipulates them as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join