It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H5N1 found in Africa!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The steady march of H5N1 is continuing around the globe....

Snip..LAGOS, Nigeria - The deadly H5N1 bird flu virus has been detected on a large commercial chicken farm in Nigeria — the first reported outbreak in Africa, the World Organization for Animal Health said Wednesday.

The outbreak appears to be restricted to birds, and no human infections have been reported, the Paris-based organization said.

Nigeria said the outbreak was on a farm in Jaji, a village in the northern state of Kaduna. Agriculture Minister Adamu Bello told reporters in Abuja that the deadly strain of the virus was detected in samples taken Jan. 16 from birds on the farm.

"We are dealing with a new continent," said Alex Thiermann, an expert for the World Organization for Animal Health, known as the OIE, told The Associated Press.Snip...

news.yahoo.com...

Interesting to note that H5N1 is following the projected migratory bird paths.

This development in Nigeria does not bode well....they have less ability to quarantine and contain H5N1 than the mideast countries have.

[edit on 8-2-2006 by gman55]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hey G-Man!
I'm right behind you on this one. For a while there was a lull in reported cases and then Turkey exploded. Now it's also moved into Iraq.
I agree about Nigeria being unable to cope should this explode like in Turkey.
Not to be a naysayer but I personally think that this has already mutated to human to human tranmission. However, the WHO is disinclined to make that leap as they are claiming it's not sustainable transmission meaning there are now more and more cases of contractibility between people in clusters. But nothing concrete in terms of testing.
It's on the move again let's see how it plays out.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hey DDay...

Yep, this thing is expanding it's global presence, and it's available pool of donor pathogens that have the sequence that could recombine and create that very feared H2H ability.

They say now that H5N1 has four distinct variants floating around.

h5n1 is suprising everyone.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There are always reports and cases here and there but the media does not report them most of the time. A couple weeks ago there was another case in the Sichuan province of China. In Chengdu too, off all places. A population of nearly 13 million.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well, there has to be some form of plague to get rid of some 75% of the World Polulation.

If you believe the Illuminati (Or was it Masonic) rule that the world population should be kept at around 500 million people.

Hey, if you would consider that in their view Aids is not working the way they hoped, let´s try this one.

The rest will fall in the coming WW right?

13 monkee scenario?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't know where you live Sporty but I have seen next to nothing on the news about the bird flu of late.
I have been reading everything through various sources on the net. I am of mind though to think that it is being deliberately underreported here in the US.
With cases being now reported in Iraq it wouldn't be long before people began to question the safety of our troops and hence put more pressure on our gov to bring them home.
I don't think our gov wants to contend with that headache.
That's only one reason why I don't think they are reporting it.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
And this past week another case in the Hunan province of China in addition to the case in Sichuan (from my earlier post)

China has many more cases than they report....

NYTimes

HONG KONG, Feb. 1 — A chicken smuggled across the border from mainland China has died here of bird flu, Hong Kong officials announced late Wednesday. The case raised new questions about whether Chinese provincial officials are concealing the true extent of the disease.

top topics

join