It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like an old man.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i didn't really know where to put this so i'm going to throw it here. here's the deal, i feel like an old man trapped in a 19 year old body. a lot of my friends are older than me, but i feel like i've been around a lot longer than they have. is there any explanation for this?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yeah, join the club. Something about being an "old soul" reincarnated or some such is what new agers would say... though it may be something more down to earth, such as simply seeing things as they are.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
In regards to your post I am glad that you brought this up this allows me to touch on some interesting things.(gets the big book from the back shelf,you know the one with the many bookmarks and archaic writings on the cover)lol.

First off I too would like to say welcome to the club,But here is where I will turn and go my own way.

We are very limited when it comes to understanding the inner workings of a human body let alone how it all works in regards to cell structure the code of information which determines what cells are what and how what we experience and feel throughout our lives effects them in regards to how we age and get old.Aswell as time and the inter connection between us and the whole of exsistence.

Now in some circles of study they say this.While we tend to look at our lives as happening at the very moment we are experiencing the event's that take place in our lives this is not neccissarily true.For all we have to go on in truth as we supposedly age is our memory,which has been proven to be able to be tampered with changed(by yourself) aswell as forgotten altogether.

Because of the theory of time we are said to never be exsisting within the
now but the then or past.Even when dealing with what is to come we tend to look at time as being a physical plane with dimensions in which we can place event's thus creating a pretence as to what will happen based upon the memories of what has happened before.

Anyway expect some more nfo later I need to focus my attention elsewhere
for a while.(typing drives me mad...lol)

Scarecrow.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Something about being an "old soul" reincarnated or some such is what new agers would say...

New Agers...um...not really. The idea of reincarnation has been around pretty much as long as civilization has and probably existed already during the Stone Age.
No offence, Kruel, but to call the notion 'New Age' is short-sighted.

www.themystica.com...

About the first definition of soul transmigration came from Pythagoras, the Greek philosopher and mathematician, who taught that the soul was immortal and merely resides in the body; therefore, it survived bodily death. His further teachings held the soul goes through a series of rebirths. Between death and rebirth the soul rests and is purified in the Underworld. After the soul has completed this series of rebirths is becomes so purified that it can leave the transmigration or reincarnation cycle.

Plato, another Greek philosopher, shared similar views as Pythagoras in that the soul of man was eternal, pre-existence, and wholly spiritual. In Plato's view of the transmigration of the soul from body to body, however, there is a difference. Plato claimed the soul tends to become impure during these bodily inhabitations although a minimal former life knowledge remains. However, if through its transmigrations the soul continues doing good and eliminates the bodily impurities it will eventually return to its pre-existence state. But, if the soul continually deteriorates through its bodily inhabitations it will end up in Tartarus, a place of eternal damnation. This appears to be an origination of both the concept of karma and the Christian concept of hell.

It was around the first century AD that both the Greek and Roman writers were surprised by the fact that the Druids, a priestly caste of the Celts (see Druidism), believed in reincarnation. The Greek writer Diordus Siculus (c. 60 BC - 30 AD) noted that the Druids believed "the souls of men are immortal, and that after a definite number of years they live a second life when the soul passes to another body." The Greek philosopher Strabo (c. 63 BC - 21 AD) observed the Druids believed that "men's souls and the universe are indestructible, although at times fire and water may prevail."

Even Julius Caesar wrote of the Celts "They wish to inculcate this as one of their leading tenets, that souls do not become extinct, but pass after death from one body to another, and they think that men by this tenet are in a great degree stimulated to valor, the fear of death being disregarded." Elsewhere Caesar complained the Druids were a troublesome people. They were difficult to destroy.

Through a dream, I have found a past life...so I'm a believer.

IMO, because I firmly believe in the existance of the soul, it isn't much of a stretch for me that it can be reborn into another body after death. As our souls experience the material plane, they learn. Once we have become truly aware of the lessons life has to teach us, we may not need to be reincarnated and can remain a spiritual entity. But, until we do, we are destined to remain in this place of pleasure and pain.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
New Agers...um...not really. The idea of reincarnation has been around pretty much as long as civilization has and probably existed already during the Stone Age.
No offence, Kruel, but to call the notion 'New Age' is short-sighted.

Oh I know it's been around forever, in fact I believe it's more probable than not that we reincarnate...

I just don't particularly like how many "new-agers" (for lack of a better word) are always talking about how they're an "old soul" or "my child's an indigo". I'm sure most REAL old souls wouldn't go around flaunting it like that. And most so-called indigos are just spoiled brats. Too many people claim to be special. Everyone wants to think they're better than everyone else.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I just don't particularly like how many "new-agers" (for lack of a better word) are always talking about how they're an "old soul" or "my child's an indigo". I'm sure most REAL old souls wouldn't go around flaunting it like that. And most so-called indigos are just spoiled brats. Too many people claim to be special. Everyone wants to think they're better than everyone else.

I'm understanding this now...it's the 'trendy-ness' of it all that you're referring to and I'd agree with you there. People hear something and spout off about it without understanding or even really believing in it.

I'm not sure, though, about there being a distinction between 'old souls' and 'new souls', except perhaps an awareness of the reality of the soul itself (if you catch my drift). There's so many people who have never realized that they have a soul, even the ones who believe they do, but just based on faith. Most never experience anything which could provide a measure of proof for them, and, besides that, there's little scientific proof to back it either.

Knowing for certain that you have a soul can change your life, though...I know it changed mine for the better.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well said. I never really thought about it before, but you're right... A lot of people believe in a soul only because their religion says so, rather than by experience.

I'm not sure I have had other experiences on this planet, unless they were in some distant past or future that looks vastly different... which brings me to another point: People always say "past lives". What about future lives as well? I not only have memories of the past, but what appears to be the future as well. Seems to me, as far as the soul is concerned, the concept of time doesn't really make a difference. If this much is true, then by expanding on it, we could assume that no one soul is any "older" than another.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
People have called me an old soul before. Don't know if I necessarily believe that sort of thing. I guess it just comes from the fact that I think more maturely than most people my age, and that nothing really surprises me any more. Meh.

new topics

top topics

join