It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Model arrested for taking photos of Cuban slums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Two females from the Czech republic were arrested in Cuba recently for taking photographs of the slums. The charge against them was counter-revolutionary activities.

Radio Prague

The two Czech women were detained by police as they were taking photographs of a poverty ridden district in Havana. "There was a lot of shouting as we were dragged off - and one of the officers shouted that we were terrorists", Helena Houdova said later. She and her psychologist friend Mariana Kroftova made the trip to Havana to ascertain how children on the island could benefit from their charity work. Mariana Kroftova says she thought the eleven hours they spent in detention would never end:
"They took us to a police station where nobody spoke to us or properly explained what was going on. We were just able to make out that we were accused of engaging in counter-revolutionary activities against the Cuban regime. What was worse they refused to let us call the Czech embassy. So we spent the 11 hours without knowing what our fate would be."

Those of you defending Cuba should look at how repressive it really is over there. I recently heard some pretty bad stories about it myself from people who lived over there.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Im Cuban,my father was born there. Granted he came her legally and not in a raft.
I hate all these hollywood idiots and models and so on, thinking Cuba is this great place. A St.Marten of sorts. Leave the resort area....that will change your tune. Fun for some to go there. To live there? why do hundreds, hell even thousands a year risk their lives on 90 miles of open sea on a raft not fit for my health club pool!?????

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've been to Cuba many times and always go off the resorts to visit small local towns and visit the locals. Have taken many pictures as well (many of the poorest areas you can imagine), including smiling police offices that just wanted to welcome me to Cuba. Never had a problem taking pictures of anything.

Perhaps there is more to this story?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Perhaps there is more to this story?

I'm glad you enjoyed spending money to help the Communist regime in Cuba further repress its citizens. Might i ask if you are from the Czech Republic?

A one time communist ally of Cuba - the Czech Republic is now seen as a dangerous adversary. Ever since the fall of communism in 1989, Prague has been vocal in supporting human rights on the island and is one of the leading proponents of a tougher international stance against the Castro regime. In spite of the worsened relations the Czech Foreign Ministry says it expects Cuba to respect international law. link

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No, I'm from Canada. And proud to live in a country that let's its citizens travel freely to any country they want to, unlike a certain country I won't mention.

And please note, that every time I go down, I take as much down with me as I can to give to poor families. I think that helps the people quite a bit more than an embargo that should be lifted as it hurts the people, not their communist leader.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
No, I'm from Canada. And proud to live in a country that let's its citizens travel freely to any country they want to, unlike a certain country I won't mention.

I knew you were form Canada. Did you get why i asked if you were from the Czech Republic though? You should do the Cuban people a favor and not spend your money down there... Let Fidel's Utopian communal society fend for itself. Obviously they can right? Because it's so perfect there and all. Free Health Care... a job for everyone... What I miss?

Maybe I missed the point altogether? Do you support Cuba? Think that sort of life is the way to go?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I support the Cuban people, and do everything I can to help them. The Cuban tourist industry is their biggest industry, and without it, 10's of thousands of people would be out of work.

A government not allowing it's citizens to travel freely sounds familiar. Cuba does it...hmmm, and American's aren't allowed to go to Cuba. Why, because Castro isn't a friend of Bush. Why does the US do business with other comunist countries and not Cuba?

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I take things down to the pool people to help them out.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by sensfan]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ahhh... Another America hating Canadian? The party down below you guys getting to loud again?

Tell me... What Communist countries do we support? This has nothing to do with Bush. I understand you hate him so though... But... Is everything his fault?

Huh... My car won't start. Friggin' Bush!!!

I wouldn't go to Cuba even if I could. Why? Even if I give the poor oppressed Cubans things... I am still going to end up spending some money there. Some money that just keeps In-Fidel in power longer.

*Peace*

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Take a look in your house and tell me how many things have a label that sais "made in China". Yes, China is Communist.

No, I don't have the Unites States. I disagree with most of the policies of the Bush administration, just as I disagreed with many of the Clinton policies.

Fidel doesn't need my tourist money to stay in power. I'm sure he's horded away enough to keep him in power till he dies. The little help I can give to the poor, especially the children, far outweighs any benefit Castro get's from my trips there.

And you know, it is a beautiful country, and the people are so friendly and nice. You are missing out on a wonderful experience.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
China is not as communist as you think... They are slowly coming around and changing their policies. Look I meant "no" disrespect. I just put things bluntly. You never answered my question... Do you see why I asked if you were from the Czech Republic? You did ask if there was more to this story right?

If I want a tropical vacation I can choose from many non-communist Islands in the Caribbean. With, I am sure, just as nice of people. Who are also poor...

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yes, I do get your point about asking me if I live in the Czech Republic. And no, I don't believe this has anything to do with the incident. It will probably be one of those stories we never hear anything more about.

To each their own. I'll continue to travel freely around the world, including Cuba, and will certainly enjoy myself.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What? Did you read the news article? I was supporting your question about whether there was more to this issue than was reported... The fact is Cuba and the Czech Republic have issues right now. The reason they were arrested and detained was because they were from the Czech Republic. In other words... If you are from Canada you will get away with taking pictures. From the Czech republic... You won't.

~Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Understood and agreed...they should not have been arrested for simply taking pictures.

Although, it's more common than you think, and not only in Cuba. Plenty of arrests in the US of people taking pictures of what could be terrorist targets (nuclear sights, etc). But that's another topic.

top topics

join