It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reapers Love.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I started a story for the last writing contest and just as i got it going I ran right square into a brick wall. I couldn't figure out where I wanted to go with it. Maybe a few of my fellow writers can give some direction or even finish the story if you want.

It's become apparent I won't be doing anything else with it. Feel free to collaborate my friends.

Wupy

The Reapers Love.

From the upper corner of the hospital suite he could hear the approaching footsteps of his target. Young Dr. Jackson was about to meet the love of his life and Cupid was there to make it happen. Propped up in bed sat the lovely young grad student, equally unaware of the events about to unfold.

Cupid thought he had the best job in the world. Dispensing happiness to the entire world in the form of love, He had no doubt he was doing what the very creator would not. On this day he had selected his finest and strongest love arrow to insure a lifelong bond. First he’d take care of the good doctor and then a second arrow into his soon to be wife. Life didn’t get any sweeter than this.

As the doctor approached he loaded his weapon of love and drew aim at the door. The doctor appeared, Cupid let fly his arrow, the doctor stumbled and the arrow flew past him.

“SON-OF-A-BIT…” Came a scream from the far room.

Cupid’s heart had never ever felt cold, but now it did. A trembling went thru his body as he realized what had just happened. He knew that voice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Death stood outside the room of the hospital suite, he had a moment to catch his breathe before entering. His was a busy job but quite satisfying. He had long ago come to terms with what he was tasked to do. Though the soul is eternal the moments of life are brief, and for the one in the room they had come to pass. With the respite now gone he entered the room.

Pain shot from his lower back as the hot edge of a knife pierced him thru his pelvic bone. He cried out, but did not hear the words as he danced wildly and grabbed at the weapon that had been plunged into him. It was not a knife but a shaft he felt and as he touched it, it melted away. Having fallen across the bed of his intended soul he slowly raised himself and looked upon her.

Her beauty shook him; surely no more graceful creature had ever been crafted in the forge of God. Her skin was satin and she smelled as angels smell when they’ve returned from the very hall of the divine. Warmth spread across his body as he felt the need to draw her near and comfort the pain that had been her life. To take that pain away forever and give her the life she deserved, this was his one desire.

“Excuse me?” Cupid was looking over the top of the open door, hovering for a quick escape in case Death was really mad about what had just happened. “I just wanted to apologize.” He went on.

Death did not hear him. He took the hand of the woman lying in the bed and began to speak, “There is an ancient poem of hope, it has been said that it can heal the mortally wounded and renew their life. I shall recite it for you now my love.”

Cupid placed his hand upon his forehead and muttered, “Oh #.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - -

Hattie Johnson was 92 years old and had come to the end of her life. It had been a long and fruitful life but now that it was over she was grateful. She was prepared to pass quietly to the other side and had made peace with her creator.

The bed shook violently for a moment and she awoke. Death was leaning across the bed and had taken her hand. She closed her eyes and prepared for the journey to the other side. It sounded as though Death were whispering a prayer and that comforted her even more. It was a fitting touch to the end of her life.

It was suddenly very odd, the thought of dying. If she didn’t know better Hattie would have swore she was actually growing stronger.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is pretty good MrWupy...

does Hattie get younger? does she stay in her 92 year old form? Does Death profess his undying love?? Does Cupid correct his mistake? Who else will be involved? I want to know.....

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Interesting parameters, mrwupy...

Death, always associated with fear and darkness, has been transformed into a paragon of hope and immortality...for Hattie only, or so it might seem.

But, has Death had enough of reaping, now that He must provide for the material needs of his new love?

What are the consequences of immortality for the human race...overcrowding?

If no-one can die, will wars be fought anymore?

I see frustrated hit-men, anguished soldiers, machette wielding murderers that can't kill by slicing and dicing.

OK...that was going a bit far...but...was death our enemy or friend?

That which we feared was our salvation.
The new Reaper is a monster and our doom as humans, imprisoning our souls forever in bodies and minds soon to be numbed by the boredom of eternal materialism.

Hope that gives some ideas.

peace

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Originally the story would have had some angels and saints in the room, maybe the muses, all argueing over deaths inability to go on. Basicly the world is brought to a halt.

Hattie does grow young again and after realizeing what kind of arguments and lunatics are in the hospital room with her, she slips out the window and flee's into the night.

eventually a main saint intervenes and removes the spell from Death. Order is restored. Hattie gets run over by a car.

The saint reports to god, only to find out God was the one that made the young doctor stumble in the first place, just so Death could know of love.

Or something like that.

I just couldn't seem to put it together.

Wupy

top topics

join