It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Flip" ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If this has been posted somewhere on here before,my apologies.
I was watching the discovery channel last night.Theres was a show about the make up of the Earth.They mentioned something scientists call the"flip".The "flip",from my understanding of the show,is when Earth's magnectic fields "flip". Causing the pole to basically switch positions.They show stated that this has happened to Earth 17 times in its history,and its already beginning again.Its about 10% in the beginning of the "flip"cycle.The "flip" is "suppose" to occur every 2600 years,We,according to the show,are 600,00 years overdue.Since humans werent present when the last one occured,what would happen to humanity?What would happen to the weather paterns? Any help on this subject is appreciated.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Not much would happen. In fact, most people would not even notice any difference. The 'flip' does not happen suddenly. It is better described as a slow meander over thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
Not much would happen. In fact, most people would not even notice any difference. The 'flip' does not happen suddenly. It is better described as a slow meander over thousands of years.

Everything you said is speculation. Everyone of your points is still debated within the scientific community. So why are you so sure?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Well, I find it interesting that the last flip was around the same time that yellowstone last erupted. Hard to tell if that means anything though because as you said, we have no records from humans about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The 'flip' is basically the when magnetic field of the Earth switches and 'north becomes south' and 'south becomes north'.

The biggest difference will be that your compass will be of no use any more.

[edit on 12/2/06 by eternally_damaged]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by eternally_damaged
The biggest difference will be that your compass will be of no use any more.

[edit on 12/2/06 by eternally_damaged]

Why would our compasses be of no use?

It would still give us a frame of reference, and point us in the right direction.

I would think the biggest problem would be in electronics. But even that would be questionable.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bpletcj

Well the north end of the needle would point at what we know as south and vice-versa.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bpletcj

Well the north end of the needle would point at what we know as south and vice-versa.

Right, so we would just need to redo our maps , our redo our compass and flip the lettering so it will reflect the correct direction. See now i am confussing myself.

I wonder how they would do that.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Learn to take a joke bpletcj

P.S. This is not a one-liner

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Actually, there would be significant impact on our communications systems and electrical grid if the magnetosphere was disrupted.

It could also have an effect on the ozone layer, as it that wasn't currently under siege by CFCs.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
If this has been posted somewhere on here before,my apologies.
I was watching the discovery channel last night.Theres was a show about the make up of the Earth.They mentioned something scientists call the"flip".The "flip",from my understanding of the show,is when Earth's magnectic fields "flip". Causing the pole to basically switch positions.They show stated that this has happened to Earth 17 times in its history,and its already beginning again.Its about 10% in the beginning of the "flip"cycle.The "flip" is "suppose" to occur every 2600 years,We,according to the show,are 600,00 years overdue.Since humans werent present when the last one occured,what would happen to humanity?What would happen to the weather paterns? Any help on this subject is appreciated.

Well the flip could be starting very soon.... have a look at my post tell me what ya think www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Learn to take a joke bpletcj

P.S. This is not a one-liner

Thats how I took it DS, notice the "
" icon I used.

I guess from know on I will warn you that I am being sarcastic, or just joking.

P.S. this post was written in a sarcastic tone, had this been a real flame post it would have had a "
" or a "
" icon at the biggening.

P.S.S good thing you put in the line about it not being a one liner to keep it from being a one liner ( again I am joking, just don't want to upset anyone).

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by dave_54

Everything you said is speculation. Everyone of your points is still debated within the scientific community. So why are you so sure?

Because I am right and you are wrong.

new topics

top topics

join