It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rap Song Removed From Shelves Because It Insults Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
In Thailand, Sony Music has recalled CD's for a song that contains verses from the Qur'an. The song, "Maya" was originally produced in 1998. But a re-release of the song in 2005 has angered Muslims as they believe it insults Islam.

www.foxnews.com
An article on the Thai-language Muslim Web site www.muslimthai.com said a song recorded on CDs in 1998 and 2005 "clearly insults the Koran," the Muslim holy book.

The Council of Muslim Organizations of Thailand said rapper Joey Boy and songwriter Kamol Sukosol Clapp, also known as Suki, should not have used the Koranic verses.

Joey Boy and Clapp apologized at a news conference to "all Muslims" for producing the song.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In light of recent events, I thought this news item was appropriate as there seems to be a recuring theme happening throughout the free world.

Despite free-peoples proclamations of free speech there appears to be a willingness in some circles, such as this one, for people to roll over and apologize for expressing themselves.

In the US, it used to be that the government was the biggest threat to free speech with the FCC being the biggest censor. Now, however, it seems the fear of hurting others' or insulting their sensibilities is the biggest threat to free speech. Here, CAIR (The Council on Islamic Relations) has used our own civil laws to squash free speech of people it perceives are critical of Islam.

I cannot express more the danger this, as well as this whole cartoon fiasco, is to western free speech and would like to make a personal plee to those here on ATS to NOT be silent on this issue wherever you call home!!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Do people forget that reciting words from a book isn't always aimed as an insult?

Does anyone remember the film 'The Life Of Brian' where the Christian and Jewish faith were joked about throughout the whole film, did we get protests and banners saying 'behead those who insult Christianity'.

Get over it and stop crying.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I knew it!

From another post of mine on the subject of why an apology is NOT the answer:

What about next week, when they decide they don't like the way Muslims are portrayed in a certain book
What about next month, with their victories behind them, they decide they don't like this British song that mentions a middle eastern country
You see where I'm going here?

This song is 8 YEARS OLD!!!

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Censor thyself and appease the fanatics. So much for evolving to an enlightened free market society in the age of information. Who stuck the caveman dna in the gene pool?

Don't like it, then don't buy it...easy enough.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm just gonna get this out there:

I am sick and tired of Muslims (some, not all) crying like little babies because they're "offended", they seriously need to grow up.

Suppose they read what I just said and became offended, what would they do then? Kill me?

It's absolutely pathetic. I don't want to go around being cautious of every word I say incase somebody gets offended.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great source Fox News!
Very non-bais.

Ok this is ridiculous i agree, but if this rap song is quoting the quran. Im guessing the rap song isnt in arabic/pharsi, then he isnt quoting the quran.

If i am to state to a muslim i have read the quran, he would ge quiet upset cause i have read the english translation which is not the quran. So if this rapper was quoting it in another language, then isnt he not speaking the true words of the quran, and they have no true meaning?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang
Ok this is ridiculous i agree, but if this rap song is quoting the quran. Im guessing the rap song isnt in arabic/pharsi, then he isnt quoting the quran

Excellent point Wang!!
However, the issue here is the willingness of the artists of that song to apologize for expressing themselves.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The source of the article has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the information reported in the story.

This is a growing trend lately and has become rather disturbing.

Imagine if Westerners would crow like these each time a Muslim media outlet or leader called them infidels. We'd all die before the list was fully compiled and there'd be no trees left.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Actually the catholic church has dubbed "life of brian" the most offensive blasphemy of our time...

but you dont see catholics burning effigies of Graham Chapman, or Eric Idle, or marching on the british humor society...

Come to think of it... Monty Python was routinely abusive of the church, and didn't even get a slap on the wrist...

Not to say that all religions dont have there "crosses" to bare... but Islam is showing its unmature roots here...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The source of the article has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the information reported in the story.

Gotta disagree with you here D, it's pure propaganda.

From the source:

KABUL, Afghanistan — A music distributor recalled two Thai rap CDs from stores Tuesday after Muslims complained the tracks insult their faith.

2 Thai rap CDs. Leave the Thai out of it and this story REALLY sells in America. Seems to have worked, no one is picking up that these guys are Thai, not censored western rap artists.

BTW, why is this story coming out of Afghanistan? Again,

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
were these cds pulled from the selves in afghanistan by any chance....if so, I can understand why...

please remember, it wasn't that long ago when they had house to house beard measurings....

if the cd's were pulled from the selves of afghanistan, well, then leave them be, it's their danged country, they should have a right to declare what they find offensive enough to ban in it, not us!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The source of this story is NOT Fox news--it's the Associated Press. Fox is simply publishing the AP story. So if you think the AP is biased, then you probably think everything is biased that doesn't agree with your views.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The story originated in Thailand. i don't know why its source shows Kabul.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Did you read my post, FFS? I think it was spelled out fairly clearly. Fox obviously chooses to carry the news it wants too.

I can
all night if I have to.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
...as does ANY news media outlet. Can you show me which news companies present news items they don't want to present?

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Don't like FOX then pick one:

Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song -CBS News
Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song -Salon
Thai Muslims angered by Quran-quoting rap -MSNBC
Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song -Newsday, NY
Thai Muslims Offended by Rap Song -Washington Post
Thailand pulls Quran rap CD -Aljazeera.net, Qatar

Lesson of the Day: Browse before opening mouth and inserting foot.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

...as does ANY news media outlet. Can you show me which news companies present news items they don't want to present?

Sorry dude, you're missing the point. Please don't play that Left/Right, CNN vs Fox stuff, it doesn't play with me. I'm Canadian and I don't watch your news. Hell, I don't watch my own anymore since it's become sensationalized like yours.

The fact of the matter is that it was picked up in an attempt to further a certain political theme. You GO GUYS, get your ratings. I'm not playing though.

I was aware of this eventuallity in the States but this is my first experience looking at it and I have to admit, you're being bought and sold by what you want to hear. Both sides.

Hmm, we're sidetracked now discussing politics and not the issue, Thai artists in a country that has been having problems that don't even reach America. But we will use that to vilify Muslims. WHY? It works.

I'll even give you a

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
No "dude"; you're missing the point. I haven't presented any left vs right news source!! This is simply how YOU perceive the world.

The point of this submission is that there is a common theme that is being played in the world; that is Muslim's sensibilities being insulted over cartoons and songs.

Go ahead and stick your head back in the sand, if you want. you have the freedom to not read this thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
intrepid, wow, good call.

it didn't say thai artist where i read it. hmm... perhaps a way to lump it onto the cartoon story then.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You know I probably know now about 1000% more about Muslims than I did a decade ago. They seem to be frighteningly intolerant, violent and politically immature.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join