It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Abu Hamza Found Guilty of Incitement to Murder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Abu Hamza the muslim cleric has been found guilty on charges of soliciting to murder, and incitment to racial hatred in court 2 of the Old Bailey today. He is thought to be behind stirring up tensions between communities in Britain and had a hand in provoking people to acts of terror. He has been sentenced to 7 years of which he will serve 3 and a half.

news.bbc.co.uk
Controversial Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri has been found guilty by an Old Bailey jury of using his sermons to incite murder and race hate charges.

Abu Hamza, who preached at Finsbury Park mosque, London, was found guilty of 11 of the 15 charges he faced.

The cleric, 47, was also found guilty of having audio and video tapes intended to encourage racial hatred and having a document for terror purposes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has been a controversial subject in Britain, and this man is seen as the most demonised in Britain at the moment. There is speculation he was to some level involved in 911 and the 7/7 bombings in britain, though I understand these allegations are yet to be proved. It is believed the United States want to extradite him as well, the Judge has said he should expect to lose his British Citizenship.

Related News Links:
www.sky.com

[edit on 7-2-2006 by bigdanprice]

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Three and one-half years is not long enough jail sentence, imo. That works out to be less than 4 months per conviction. Now, three and a half years for each conviction would be more appropriate.

Send him to the US to face the charges against him here.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
external image This friendly looking British cleric? Good that he is out of the way.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yes indeed...VERY FRIENDLY!!!

Mic

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
May I remind you people that we have children who come to this board? Do not scare them!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
hehe

The guy looks like a pissed off pirate.

I'm glad he's going to do time, his speeches most definitely attempted to incite people to violence against other religious/racial groups.

The big question is whether his sentencing will provoke additional unrest...

Interesting tid-bit, his trial started on 1/11, and finished on 2/7. Numerologists eat your heart out. He was set up by the NWO!

Seriously though, I'm glad he was convicted. I thought they had a good case going after him.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

May I remind you people that we have children who come to this board? Do not scare them!

...Look who is talking!

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
MARG!!!!
Marg, come and defend me!!

Riwka is being mean to me!

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Now that is funny!

On Hamza, he is more like a mad man ranting and playing at Jihad than a serious threat. A convienent scapegoat with unproven connections to Al-Qaeda and various terrorists of notoriety.
Where are the real terrorists and why are they not in his place?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
should have been extradited to the americans imo
would have faced the death penalty (well it said in the bbc a while back)

off topic TCs av just looks like the pic of the dude that run the crystal maze on channel 4 (if anyone watched it)

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

off topic TCs av just looks like the pic of the dude that run the crystal maze on channel 4 (if anyone watched it)

You mean Richard O'Brien, he also played Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Abu Hamza is a total pratt who desrves everything he gets IMO.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Do they "show the same manly tenderness" in UK prisons that they tend to do here in the states?

I know child molestors, rapists, and probably terrorists too get "special" treatment in our prisons, if you get my drift.

If not, send him here. I know a couple guys that are getting awful lonely.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe we have certain procedures for inmates like him.
He will be denied a 'soap on a rope'.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23
On Hamza, he is more like a mad man ranting and playing at Jihad than a serious threat. A convienent scapegoat with unproven connections to Al-Qaeda and various terrorists of notoriety.
Where are the real terrorists and why are they not in his place?

He was directly involved with al Qaeda and assisted them in terrorism:

This relates to a tragic affair in 1998 that began when 10 young Muslims with links to Abu Hamza’s Supporters of Sharia organisation travelled from Britain to Yemen and made contact with the Islamic Army of Aden-Abyan, regarded as a local affiliate of al-Qaeda, which had a training camp at Huttat in Abyan.

According to the Yemeni authorities, the young men were planning a series of attacks on western interests in Aden – the Anglican church, a restaurant popular with foreigners, and a top-class hotel – but the plan failed when six of them were arrested. The Islamic Army then kidnapped a party of 16 western tourists (12 Britons, two Australians, two Americans, plus four Yemeni drivers) in the hope of exchanging them for the arrested men. The kidnap ended disastrously when four of the hostages and two of the kidnappers died during a rescue attempt by the Yemen army.

About an hour after seizing the hostages, the leader of the Islamic Army used a satellite phone to call Abu Hamza in London and discuss the kidnapping. Abu Hamza admits that he received the call. The American charges say that Abu Hamza also received three calls from the satellite phone on the day before the kidnapping, that he provided the Islamic Army with its phone and that he paid £500 in advance towards the cost of calls.

Abu Hamza

Pretty strong evidence of terrorism ties, imo.

from bodrul

The problem is, the EU prohibits extradition to a place that has the death penalty. There is a federal death penalty in the US, so that means the US would have to agree not to seek it before GB would agree to extradition.

[edit on 9-2-2006 by jsobecky]

[edit on 9-2-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If that is the case, then how come he wasn't convicted with charges related to that act of terrorism? How is it that they could only put him away on charges of incitement and soliciting to murder?

It is worth noting that BNP member Nick Griffin was tried on two charges under the same provisions of the Public Order Act and got acquitted in the same week.

Double standards?

Nothing more than a convenient scapegoat.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

If that is the case, then how come he wasn't convicted with charges related to that act of terrorism? How is it that they could only put him away on charges of incitement and soliciting to murder?

Nothing more than a convenient scapegoat.

The crimes he was convicted of were commited in the UK. The incident I cited happened in Yemen. Yemen has sought extradition of him, but so far the UK has refused to grant it.

It is worth noting that BNP member Nick Griffin was tried on two charges under the same provisions of the Public Order Act and got acquitted in the same week.

I don't know anything about that case, and I don't understand how it has any relevance to the Abu Hamza case.

Call him a convenient scapegoat if you will. Defend him all you'd like. the evidence against him is overwhelming, but you choose to be blind to it. That's your right. But he is one "convenient scapegoat" that will never be free again, as long as our courts have something to say about it.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

I remember crystal maze when I lived in england almost 10 years ago lol, anyway if they are really saying that on the BBC I assure you it is propaganda....

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Defend him all you'd like.

If you re-read my posts, you will see I have not defended him once.
I am simply asking where the real terrorists are.
It is suspicious that five years have passed since 9/11 and Abu Hamza is the best they can do in terms of placing what we are led to believe are Al-Qaeda operatives into a court of law in the UK.
He wasn't convicted for any direct act of terrorism.

An uncle of one of the 7/7 suicide bombers blamed the cleric for brainwashing his nephew Shehzad Tanweer, 22, who visited Finsbury Park mosque.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

People are already blaming him for the 7/7 bombings in the UK. If there really was a lead that connected this man to that atrocious day, then they would have convicted him for it; but people are more than happy to let conjecture and supposition rule the day.
Instead of Bin Laden or Ayman al-Zawahiri, we are given a man who is clearly not in full control of his faculties to demonise in the media.

That is a convenient scapegoat.

The Tories demand an inquiry into why Abu Hamza wasn't prosecuted earlier after Scotland Yard admit they first sent prosecutors evidence 7 years ago.

www.channel4.com...

The authorities have had many years on which to act on this individual. If he is so dangerous, then why has it taken so long for something to be done?
Also, if he is responsible for direct acts of terrorism, then why wasn't he extradited? I would imagine those convictions would take precedence over the incitement charges brought against him in the UK.
I am certain we would all like to see him charged and convicted for his real crimes.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by shanti23]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I am simply asking where the real terrorists are.
He wasn't convicted for any direct act of terrorism.

Instead of Bin Laden or Ayman al-Zawahiri, we are given a man who is clearly not in full control of his faculties to demonise in the media.

That is a convenient scapegoat.

The Tories demand an inquiry into why Abu Hamza wasn't prosecuted earlier after Scotland Yard admit they first sent prosecutors evidence 7 years ago.

The authorities have had many years on which to act on this individual. If he is so dangerous, then why has it taken so long for something to be done?
Also, if he is responsible for direct acts of terrorism, then why wasn't he extradited? I would imagine those convictions would take precedence over the incitement charges brought against him in the UK.

To your question as to where are the real terrorists, I give you one name: Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.

It is quite possible that he wasn't arrested sooner because he was more valuable on the street in terms of supplying intelligence and leads. And those who assist al Qaeda are just as guilty as the ones who set off the bombs. Sometimes they are harder to replace than a warrior is.

If I were the gov't, I would be hesitant to extradite prisoners to Yemen. Look at their track record on prison "escapees". Just recently, 23 terrorists escaped by tunneling out of prison and into a mosque, with what looks like assistance from prison guards. And for some of the escapees, this was the second time they had escaped from a Yemeni prison.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just one more thing, as to your question about bin Laden and Zawahri. As you know, there is a substantial reward on both their heads. But did you know that many Pakistanis and Afghanis did not know of the reward during the crucial, early weeks after 9/11, because the US Ambassador to Pakistan, Nancy Powell, refused to distribute the "Wanted" fliers, matchbooks, and other info? Read about it here:

www.freerepublic.com...

She was removed from her post, btw.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join