It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Single worst word in the English Language

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I absolutely detest the phrase "Indian giver". I hate it. It's derisive and not at all historically accurate. Also, I can't stand the word "redskin". That particular word came from when they would skin American Indian (Native American) people like animals. They'd not only take scalps; but, also use their skin for leggings, tobacco pouches and hat bands (you don't want to know what parts of the body these came from), among other things. In effect, the victims were treated like animals and given no consideration of being human. What was left behind from these violations was the red (bloody) skin. Think of that next time you hear about the Washington Redskins.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

My English teacher told me that these words are the worse:
Ain't
LIKE(but used like you know like....For example)
and
YOUS

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
For me, the most hated word in the English language has got to be any of the following or a combination of all three: 'MacDonald' or 'Mac D' or 'MacDonalds'. Uuuuurrrrrggggghhhhh!

You forgot "Mickey-Deez." WTF?

BTW, I hate these two words equally: "Yo" and "Bling."

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Mine are not so much just a word but a hatred (yes that strong) of the "management" lingo that middle managers get when going on their training courses in a travel lodge in Derby on a wednesday morning...
Heres a few of the "better" ones - and their real meaning, which is easier to say.
Lets touch base: just say talk to me, email me, meet me at 3, whatever, there will no touching anyones base!
Idea Shower: brainstorm, think, do your job?
Not enough bandwidth: too busy - just say you are too busy!
mission critical: Good, because until you mentioned that I thought my task here was pointless.

Heres a funny site with more of these gems
Management Speak - Just no need

Should you need to liven up the next office meeting how about a game of bull**** bingo with these cards:
Bull**** Bingo

amazing how people in offices feel this compelling need to out BS each other with ludicrous phrases and words instead of just stating the obvious. What happened to speaking plainly.
A couple of jobs ago a colleague and I use to score points based on how many phrases and words the boss would roll out showing prospective clients around the offices, 2Meg 24x7 Pipe was a favourite (just a simple 2Mb broadband line - was 10 years ago! )

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join