It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Single worst word in the English Language

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
One of my personal favorite words to despise is puke. I like vomit better or throwup.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I dislike the words patriotism and jihad. They've sort of lost their meaning when they got taken over by folk with silly agendas.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The mutilation of a simple word:
ask

I asked him. I will ask him. I am asking him now.

NOT... I aksed him. I will aks him. I am aksing him now. ????

I mean, like, I just aksed him a question, and he's like, you know, whatever, like ... dude, just aks him again.

:shk:

[steps down from soapbox]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
ONOMATOPEIA..... ONAMATOEPIA...... ONOMATAPIEA......... ONOMATOAPEIA......... ONOMATOPOEIA!!!!!

Geez that gets on my nerves

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The two words I hate the most when paired together (they are harmless alone) are... "my bad". Whenever someone says that, I want to kill them, because they sound like an idiot who cannot speak english. People need to stop saying those two words together, because I'm running out of places to put the bodies...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ah! "I speak in the English good, no?"

".............no."

Geez who invented other languages anyway. Cavemen seemed to get on just fine speaking English before Jesus went and invented Hebrew!

OMG you do KNOW im not that moronic right?

[edit on 12-2-2006 by Shadow88]

MMP

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'd have to say my favorite combination of words is:

"Elbow Sour"

Call me crazy, but "Celler Door" just doesn't do it for me. As for a most hated word I don't have one.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by MMP]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
For me it's got to be extrordinary.

Such an oxymoron. It really means extra ordinary doesn't it? :bash:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
ExtrAordinary. And yes its a clear oxymoron, but the meaning isnt contradictory so its accepted as not being one.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I dislike the words patriotism and jihad. They've sort of lost their meaning when they got taken over by folk with silly agendas.

I hear you. Now I can't bear the phrase 'peaceful religion'.

To me it sounds like an insult. I could almost hear the sarcasm when I read that phrase.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Actually # is the most versitile word in the English Dictionary

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Is that the f-word or the s-word you're talking about, Shugo? I agree, the f-word is incredibly versatile.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Intricacies of the english language:

1. When a word begins with a silent letter:
What self-respecting language does this? I mean come on, I understand silent p. It comes from Greek, where it isn't silent: pneumonia, psychiatry. But then you get words with a "silent K!" Knowledge, knight, knife! knack!

2. When a chain of letters doesn't even keep the same sound for a whole word. Think about it. Circle.

3. When 3 or 4 letters sound different together than they could apart:

tion = "shun" Nation sould be pronounced "nate-eye-on." but "nay-shun?"

gh = . . . what, silent? "through"

gh = f Like the F in slough or draught or trough

Then there are English EXPRESSIONS.

Basically, the rule is, in English, the more angry you are, the more you pretend to be polite:

"Will someone please get this f%**# idiot out of my way!"

"Why don't you go and $@#$% yourself?"

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Dr Strangecraft reminds me of something a coworker of mine taught me once. It concerns the secret pronounciation of the word GHOTI

'rough' -> -gh -> f sound
'women' -> -o- -> i sound
'attention' -> -ti- -> sh sound

Therefore, the correct, and most secret, pronounciation of the word GHOTI is... fish.

Go english!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What the...Fish?

btw, what's a GHOTI?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
As far as I'm aware, there is actually no such thing as a 'ghoti'. It's merely a word used to make fun of english pronounciation.

Another word I don't like is 'siemens'. A Siemen is the SI unit for conductance. (the inverse of the 'ohm', for electrical resistance) I always feel like I should be washing my mouth out with soap when I say that word... :shk: Fortunately, it has a synonym, the 'mho', which sounds much less naughty, and usually, in electrical engineering, we talk about resistance more than conductance, anyway, so it doesn't come up too much.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
English has a real problem with homonyms, words that sound the same but have unrelated meanings.

Siemens would be an example.

bare, bear,

so, sew, sough

And then there are unfortunate English pronunciations for various names.

Lip#z

Lipscombe

Glasscock

Hancock

And one of my favorites (a dear friend has this; always fun to hear professors labor under the avoidance of the obvious. I think it's french):

Fuqua.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Reminds me of an imam at the local mosque, Haji Muhammad Fakhrul bin Haji Isyak

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:05 AM
link   
You guys would absolutly hate me. I say "like" and "whatever" quite a bit. It's a really bad habit.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

SMEGMA

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join