It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do we know? The biggest conspiracy ever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Now this is my first Skunkworks thread, so i thought i would go for something "outlandish".

Knowledge, we learn through many different ways. Most of our knowledge is transmitted from generation to generation by word of mouth, books, and various other types of media. How do we know the validation of this knowledge we are given, we are told it is true and we believe so.

An example i will give is the atlas/world maps. How do you know you live, where you live. You are told. Have you ever gone up into space and seen the world from afar? How can i know what happend 4000 years ago for sure? It could be a fairy tale. It is all second hand knowledge.
So all in all, unless we experince things first hand how can you be sure of anything?

History could be a shame, the earth could be a shame, everything you have ever read/heard/watched on any sort of media could be one big conspiracy. You are locked up in a little dark space being controlled by higher forces feeding you lies and deception, to see how you react.

Or everything is real and you have to get up for work tommorow

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Its easy. We dont know anything is true. Im making a thread on a theory that life is a big virtual reality game.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
There's actually a joke...

A bunch of celibate monks are in a monastery, and their entire purpose is to recopy the Bible. Then, one day, a monk goes "Hey, all we ever do is copy this book over and over from other copies. What were to happen if someone made a mistake, and that mistake has just been recopied into all the books we now use?". The other monks nodded, and agreed that the truth must be found. They decided that they would cover for the monk while he went to search for the oldest book in the monastery.

Days went by, and the monks became scared that their friend would never return. So they searched the entire monastery looking for him. They finally find him, hunched in a corner in the darkest, deepest, dungeons of the monastery. He was holding a book next to his chest, rocking slowly back and forth. When they asked "What is it!?! What did you find!?!" he said,

"It says celibrate..."

-------

The joke is of course, celibate is celibrate, but missing an "r". Big laughs all around, everyone's happy.

What you're proposing is, for all intents and purposes, the same thing. Much of our knowledge is based on previous knowledge that we take as truth.

However, we're not just opennly accepting it. For one, childrens and classroom experiments perform these same tests "just to make sure". We constantly reverify the theories we have. As Einstein said "a thousand tests won't prove me right, but it only takes one test to prove me wrong".

And so that's how we're pretty positive that the world we're living in is governed, and continues to be governed, by these laws that we've labelled "physics". If this is all a computer program, we're trying to find out what the computer program does, and or all intents and purposes it is the physics of the world we would be living in.

Now of course, this isn't a computer program - but the thought experiment of "if it were" helps us explore the possibilities of our existance.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
You can prove where you live, go to ,
google earth
there is a program there that you can download and zoom right down to your house, its amazing.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter whether something is true or not. The only thing that matters is the actions you take according to your beliefs. This chair I'm sitting on might be a complete illusion, but I'll accept it as real enough to sit on it. Of course we can't agree on history. We can't even agree what happened yesterday, much less a 1000 years ago. The only thing we can do is process the information we have, and take action. Or die. If you can find a better truth, hey, good for you. Good luck with it. I have my own view of reality that's going to be different yours no matter what. But all I can do is keep moving with it. Or die.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The same thing can be said for the present. Much of what we think we know is happening throughout the world at the moment we have not witnessed with our own eyes. Perhaps everything we here on the news is all fiction also? We don't really know much at all. All of the vision we see on TV could be fabricated.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Whilst I lay sleeping last night, someone or something came into my house and carried off my wife, dog, cats, furniture, guns, clothing and butter milk.

How would you go about debunkng a statement like that?

I can't imgagine aliens, or any other entity appreciating butter milk!

top topics

join