It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you think of China?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'm a normal Chinese people.I found this place in someway.So... I found the most popular thread of China here is "can China invade Taiwan".Seems many Americans has some kind of rancour about China.My English is not so good,and... it's maybe not a good expression.Anyway,In this thread you can come in and post your thought of China,whatever it is.Chinese food,Chinese culture,Chinese people,Politics,economy,military...blah,blah..!
I don't want abuse here,just communion.So Americans friends,come in and talk.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
And I'm from China. I will lost my ID here??? is that gonna happen?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well not American here but a Canadian from Toronto which has a very sizable Chinese population. Personally I think Chinese food is mostly junk food but addictive as hell(and as "healthy") Culturally I respect you guys alot, Technologically you guys seem to be in the same state that America was back in the early 20th(ei Copying the ruling powers technologies, not respecting patents etc it's how America built her Empire so why not China :shrug: Tried and true method).

I distrust the Authoritarian regime in power in China and think they are callous and brutal in their methods of controlling the populace, their Environmental stuwardship is horrid as is their respect of indiginess populations they previously conquered(tibet)(but then again the same could be said of many other nations).

The Taiwan situation is a very thorny issue to many chinese I acknoledge that but when you ask a Taiwanese person what they consider themselves Chinese or Taiwanese they say the latter.

I think a war is pretty far fetched at this point but who knows, China has rattled her sabres many times in the past decade and many people are starting to believe the threat is real.

I don't like your government but I do like your culture, food and people. Then again I could say the same thing of the USA or even my own country
I also don't like the censorship laws in your country either...

And I'm from China. I will lost my ID here??? is that gonna happen?

Huh? By whom? We have other people from China on these boards as well you're not alone

[edit on 7-2-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 7-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well not American here but a Canadian from Toronto which has a very sizable Chinese population. Personally I think Chinese food is mostly junk food but addictive as hell(and as "healthy") Culturally I respect you guys alot, Technologically you guys seem to be in the same state that America was back in the early 20th(ei Copying the ruling powers technologies, not respecting patents etc it's how America built her Empire so why not China :shrug: Tried and true method).

I distrust the Authoritarian regime in power in China and think they are callous and brutal in their methods of controlling the populace, their Environmental stuwardship is horrid as is their respect of indiginess populations they previously conquered(tibet)(but then again the same could be said of many other nations).

The Taiwan situation is a very thorny issue to many chinese I acknoledge that but when you ask a Taiwanese person what they consider themselves Chinese or Taiwanese they say the latter.

I think a war is pretty far fetched at this point but who knows, China has rattled her sabres many times in the past decade and many people are starting to believe the threat is real.

I don't like your government but I do like your culture, food and people. Then again I could say the same thing of the USA or even my own country
I also don't like the censorship laws in your country either...

I don't know lots of the western habit of food. The only thing I know about western food is hamburger and sandwich.because there are many Mcdonald's and KFC in my city.It taste good.but may not so good to health

China has longs period history and culture.and i don't think such kind of culture are good.it's too complicate and useless.

I know the western has long history of democracy,since the Rome empire,the democracy is just here.I think the democracy may become some kind of culture in western world.and it's different from china.china is more centralization.but I don't think it's the key point.maybe china has to do some improve in democracy so that can make more good.but I don't think has more democracy or less democracy is right or wrong.It's just different method.

Now Taiwan has two part of people.one part wants split from china.and another part wants unification with china.and i think most taiwan people,just afraid of change.the situation here is life is good now,why should we change?unless it's gonna to be better.

As a chinese,I don't think the government would start a war.unless they had to .for example:Taiwan announce independence.or some country invade us etc..And the cold war may leave the western world the infection of "china is a threat". but I think china has changed a lot.there need more understanding and less misunderstanding.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by zhangxi0183]

[edit on 7-2-2006 by zhangxi0183]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Its great to hear from someone from China on here, what with all the stereotypes running rampant.

What is the feeling towards Americans in China? I personanlly dont know enough about the chinease.

I love Chinease food!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I curse China every day I wake up...Of course, my wife and all of my in-laws are Chinese and I am cursing for different reasons...

Kung hei fat choy!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
Its great to hear from someone from China on here, what with all the stereotypes running rampant.

What is the feeling towards Americans in China? I personanlly dont know enough about the chinease.

I love Chinease food!

the truth of how chinese feel about America.I think most chinese people would say nothing.because people only care about their own life, how to earn more money,how to make more fun.the only thing they feel about USA is that American is rich than china and more powerful, that's all.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I am an American, and I very much appreciate the Chinese people and culture. I work with many people who are from Taiwan, or who are of Chinese descent. I appreciate the history of China, and all that they have given the world.

Chinese food in America is not what people typically eat in China. American-Chinese food has a very heavy Polynesian influence to it, and many recipes have been modified to appeal to the American palate. It is rare to find an authentic Chinese restaurant that serves authentic Chinese dishes. However, I think that asian food in general is becoming much more popular in the US overall, especially Japanese sushi.

America is a vast country, and opinions about China in general will probably vary, depending on where you are. In the North East where live, there are substantial Chinese populations, and interacting with Chinese people is common.

Most people I know appreciate the Chinese people, but fear and distrust the Chinese government. They are the last bastion of old-school communism, which we believe to be one of the most oppressive and unsuccessful forms of government in history. I don't think that Americans have rancor for Chinese people at all, just the communists in power. And even then, the American people have bigger threats in the world nowadays to worry about, besides the Chinese government.

If Americans distrust or fear the Chinese at all, it is because China is becoming an economic superpower, and we compete for natural resources and market share with you. That is reason enough for us to consider you a rival.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
zhangxi0183, What part of China are you from?

Sichuan food is great....ever had "hotpot"?

Seems many Americans has some kind of rancour about China

I have a problem with the Chinese government, not the people

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zhangxi0183

the truth of how chinese feel about America.I think most chinese people would say nothing.because people only care about their own life, how to earn more money,how to make more fun.the only thing they feel about USA is that American is rich than china and more powerful, that's all.

My short answer to your thread title is "I usually don't think of china".

There have been times when china has been forced into my thinking process, alas, they are mostly all negative issues that cause this: the plane that crash landed on hainan after being hit by a chinese fighter, threats by top chinese military to nuke the U.S., reports that china will support iran in the current nuclear standoff, trying to influence the U.S. elections, chinese spying at Los Alamos, Taiwan, demonstrations for democracy being brutally repressed, unfair trade practices (dumping goods at below cost). "Little" things like that.

From a micro view, the food is good, except for dim sum. My favorite is chow fun, but for some reason I'm always hungry again in about an hour. Also, the jade carvings are amazing, especially where they carve a chain out of one piece of stone.

I think that the "average" chinese people are decent, hard working,and probably would rather have peace than war. Unfortunately, they also seem to have very little influence over what their government does in their communist society.

[edit on 2/7/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
zhangxi0183, What part of China are you from?

Sichuan food is great....ever had "hotpot"?

Seems many Americans has some kind of rancour about China

I have a problem with the Chinese government, not the people

I'm from ZheJiang province,and live in Shanghai.Sichuan food is peppery.Sichuanese like capsicum.Shanghai and Zhejiang food has more sugar.

and about chinese government, i think there is lots more misunderstanding too.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Got to agree with the general points here.
Since almost everything you buy in the shops now is "made in China" its difficult not to mention it these days.
In my own town most of our English fish and chip shops were long ago replaced by Chinese ones.
More recently though they are being matched by Indian takeaways and Pizza parlours.
The Chinese are considered brilliant at doing business they are very disciplined shrewd and tactful but theres an air of mystery there too and usually unless you are Chinese you will almost certainly not get any info out of them.
As with other former communist regimes it would be good to see China free of it but we know it would never happen .......and if it did then China would not be China anymore.
The Taiwan debate is once again more to do with Dollars than anything else and theres some diplomacy taken place of late.

I personally see the China Russia pact as the most dangerous scenario in the Iran standoff.
Both have vested interests.

Its good to see the opinions of the Chinese being aired here too..........though like its already been suggested will in no way be representitive of the powers that be in Chinese government corridors !!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

My short answer to your thread title is "I usually don't think of china".

There have been times when china has been forced into my thinking process, alas, they are mostly all negative issues that cause this: the plane that crash landed on hainan after being hit by a chinese fighter, threats by top chinese military to nuke the U.S., reports that china will support iran in the current nuclear standoff, trying to influence the U.S. elections, chinese spying at Los Alamos, Taiwan, demonstrations for democracy being brutally repressed, unfair trade practices (dumping goods at below cost). "Little" things like that.

From a micro view, the food is good, except for dim sum. My favorite is chow fun, but for some reason I'm always hungry again in about an hour. Also, the jade carvings are amazing, especially where they carve a chain out of one piece of stone.

I think that the "average" chinese people are decent, hard working,and probably would rather have peace than war. Unfortunately, they also seem to have very little influence over what their government does in their communist society.

[edit on 2/7/2006 by centurion1211]

your expression prove one thing:Media influence people a lot,until they touch the truth by themselves.I'm not talking about who is lieer.I'm talking about each part has it's own position and point of view.

The plane crashed in Hainan,and chinese people would wondering,what is the American plane doing in or near our airspace?and USA is much more powerful than china,how dare china threat the USA by nukes?unless....... and china has economy investment in Iran.China doesn't want Iran has nukes,and also China doesn't want war in Iran.we need peace.but not support the Iran has the nukes.and about the spy.I think there is not only chinese spy.lots of other countrys.the Media seems lots of interest in chinese spy.above i'm talking maybe not exactly true or right.but it meens we have different position and point of view.we learn dirrerent "truth" from the different media.who knows which one is the real truth.may neither of them.

whatever,but truly i believe USA and China has lots more benefit in common.is that so?don't make the ideology or misunderstanding ruin it.

PS:Chinese government give up the communist long long ago.now they are more deal with concrete matters relating to work

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
sorry i cann't reply all the posts.it's too difficult to answer in english.and now i'm kinda lazy.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Take your time.

Your true culture is a bit of a mystery in America.

I would love to hear more about Chinease people and how they feel about the western world.

Your English is much better than our Chinease, so keep it up!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Take your time.

Your true culture is a bit of a mystery in America.

I would love to hear more about Chinease people and how they feel about the western world.

Your English is much better than our Chinease, so keep it up!

thanks,and the chinese culture is concern about the Confucianism.which basically focus on virtue and morality,on filial piety,on manners,and on intelligence...etc.

the Confucianism is the clou of the china history.though personally i think Confucianism is kinda crap.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I read a lot on Taoism. Very interesting concepts. I also dont agree with Confusionism. You have seen the painting of the three men tasting the vinegar right?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You have seen the painting of the three men tasting the vinegar right?

sorry i'm not exactly got this sentence mean.can you expresse it more simply?

and the Taoism is not as important as Confucianism in China.I'm not know well of the Taoism.just learn some articles related to Taoism in school.basically Taoism claims do nothing.it's hard to express. kinda like "let it be,we do nothing just watching and waiting".maybe not exactly,that's all i know.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The Three Tasters shows three men tasting vinegar. The first, Buddha, has a sour look on his face. The second, Confucious, also has a sour look. The third is Lao-Tzu, who is smiling.

It is a metaphor for the three sage's outlook on life. Buddha and Confucious are so busy seeing the negative that they forget it is THE WAY.
Lao-Tzu sees things cannot be changed, so Taoism teaches to just roll with it.

Hope this helps, I am not a scholar in the subject by any means.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

your expression prove one thing:Media influence people a lot,until they touch the truth by themselves.I'm not talking about who is lieer.I'm talking about each part has it's own position and point of view.

PS:Chinese government give up the communist long long ago.now they are more deal with concrete matters relating to work

So, I'm curious. Where did you get all your information, if not from the chinese media, which is surely controlled by the chinese government? Or maybe I should be asking how you were able to overcome that and find the "truth"?

Perhaps china is no longer "communist" in the classic marxist-leninist model. Sometimes we still use the communist label to describe a regime that oppressively and brutally controls it's people down to the small details of their lives.

I would welcome china becoming a country that wants to join rest of the world - on a level playing field.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join