It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists hail discovery of hundreds of new species in remote New Guinea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Scientists hail discovery of hundreds of new species in remote New Guinea

An astonishing mist-shrouded "lost world" of previously unknown and rare animals and plants high in the mountain rainforests of New Guinea has been uncovered by an international team of scientists.

Among the new species of birds, frogs, butterflies and palms discovered in the expedition through this pristine environment, untouched by man, was the spectacular Berlepsch's six-wired bird of paradise. The scientists are the first outsiders to see it. They could only reach the remote mountainous area by helicopter, which they described it as akin to finding a "Garden of Eden".

In a jungle camp site, surrounded by giant flowers and unknown plants, the researchers watched rare bowerbirds perform elaborate courtship rituals. The surrounding forest was full of strange mammals, such as tree kangaroos and spiny anteaters, which appeared totally unafraid, suggesting no previous contact with humans.

Much more...

This is great! Tree kangaroos?

I can't wait to learn more!!!

[edit on 6-2-2006 by loam]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Yeah this is awesome!

Tree Kangaroos

This is from the article. Apparently they already named it:

Mammals

Forty species of mammals were recorded. Six species of tree kangeroos, rare elsewhere in New Guinea, were abundant and the scientists also found a species which is new to Indonesia, the golden-mantled tree kangeroo. The rare and almost unknown long-beaked echidna, or spiny anteater, a member of a primitive group of egg-laying mammals called monotremes, was also encountered. Like all the mammals found in the area, it was completely unafraid of humans and could be easily picked up, suggesting its previous contact with man was negligible.

Post more info as soon as you get it.

[edit on 102828p://6u50 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This discovery hallmarks one of the greatest finds of our time.
Would of thought it would be getting more front page press.

There's several species of tree roo, here's one:

NYTimes article has some new photos by Beehler in New Guinea:
www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This says so much about the world! The world is such a larger place than I usually think it is.

I am very "plugged in" and read a lot of news outlets from around the world. I don't very often get a good perspective on how vast and really unknown a lot of world is.

Thanks for sharing this and reminding me of how small I am.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yep, great story and great discovery

It's absolutely amazing that there are actually still places that remain untouched and undiscovered.

top topics

join