It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Cabinet Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow. Just wow.

I am only going to touch on the one issue that truly effects me, and that's agriculture. So all you people can close your windows or press back.

I do hope you follow the thread though.

I am going to talk about the new "agriculture" minister.

Link

In a surprise move, Prime Minister Stephen Harper selected veteran B.C. politician Chuck Strahl to head up the agriculture portfolio. He will also be the minster responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board. This is the first time in a number of years that one person will be in charge of both positions.

Ok, so what?

Well first off, the guy has NO background in agriculture !

As if Andy Mitchell wasn't a bad enough ag minister, now we have someone that doesn't even have a clue about the industry !

This is a time when ag profits are lower than they were during the depression.

This is not a simple industry. We have huge trade issues, BSE, bird diseases and as mentioned, horrible profits.

How in the hell is the industry going to get any better if the man with the voice has NO say?

I hope he proves me wrong, but ill give you a statistic that stats Canada will be telling you in a few years.

Farmers are quitting in record numbers and nobody cares. Farmers are just giving up.

Official page for the minister
www.agr.gc.ca...

This man is going to have a hell of a job. I actually feel sorry for him.

Good luck, and prove me wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Woohoo!

I can contribute something agriculturally related!!

Chuck Strahl's riding (Fraser Valley) is mostly agricultural. So while he may have no experience with farming per se, he has lots of experience in talking to farmers and representing them. He's been re-elected since 1997, so I guess they must like him.

I believe he was the MP for this area when the Bird Flu hit town.

Side note: He's one of the ones that opposed Stockwell Day for leadership.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
He has no experience with cattle or the grain markets, which is the majority of the problem with agriculture in Canada.

I was hoping for someone from the west, although this is not what I expected.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
We do have cattle farms here but I think most are dairy. I think the only grain that is grown out here is for the cattle.

I remember Strahl because he fought really hard for compensation for the producers affected by the Bird flu cull. He was on TV all the time talking about the financial hardships being caused and how the government was giving out compensation cheques and then clawing them back through assorted paperwork fees.

Strahl's name is one of the few I recognized in the Cabinet postings. I guess with so many new MP's it's hard to find anyone with good experience. I'm sure Strahl got the job because he 1) was a huge Harper supporter back when Harper was fighting for the party leadership and 2) lives in a farming community.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that #1 was the deciding factor.

Can you think of any other MP's that would have been good/better for the post? I'm not nearly as familiar with the industry as you are.

--Not about Chuck Strahl - My Cabinet Rant--

I thought David Emerson crossing the floor was a little hard to stomach. Less than two weeks ago, he gave an interview to a paper in town here.

Emerson added he is going to enjoy keeping tabs on Prime Minister-elected Stephen Harper.

"I'm going to be Stephen Harper's worst enemy," he warned. "We're going to stir the pot and you better believe we are going to make a heck of a lot of noise."

vancouver.24hrs.ca...

And then one of the first things I see on the news this morning is:

Former industry minister David Emerson said his decision to defect from the Liberals and take a cabinet post in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government was made to better serve his constituents.

ctv.ca

I didn't like David Emerson before he went into politics and this has pretty much confirmed my opinion of him. The riding he parachuted into and won as a Liberal in 2004 used to be NDP. I don't think he would have won that riding as a Conservative this time.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My major beef with this Cabinet is with the Environment Minister who is most likely just a patsy for the Oil interests.

I don't mind McKay as Foreign Affairs minister, I am sooo glad Stockwell Day didn't get any posting

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Stockwell is the Minister for Public Safety.

Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about him seadooing around foreign countries for visits.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by Duzey]

top topics

join