It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cartoon protests turn deadly

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A man puts pencil to paper to make a living the best way he knows how. A newspaper publisher attempts to put out the best product he/she can to satisfy the ever demanding media audience. Under ordinary circumstances these people would be at best applauded, and at worst left alone to drone away at their mundane lives. These are not ordinary circumstances. People have now died in the protests that followed the publishing of cartoons in a western newspaper depicting THE Muslim prophet, Mohamed, a major error in the eyes of Muslims everywhere.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- From Afghanistan to Indonesia, tens of thousands of Muslims around the world have launched a series of new protests -- some violent -- over cartoons depicting Prophet Mohammed.

Provincial authorities in Lagman, Afghanistan, said one protester died in a protest there after clashes broke out between demonstrators and police.

Separately, protesters demonstrated outside Bagram Airbase, a U.S. base north of Kabul. U.S. military officials said between 100 and 150 protesters demonstrated peacefully. But an Associated Press journalist on the scene said he witnessed a clash between Afghan police and protesters at the gate in which two civilians were killed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

car·tooned, car·toon·ing, car·toons

a. A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.

b. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically

c. To make humorous or satirical drawings

d. To draw a humorous or satirical representation of; caricature

The start of this entire chain of events can be pinpointed to one signle cause, a paper publishing drawings! For the love of god, allah, and mohamad, they were simply cartoons.

Here we go again, another reason for muslims to kill, or in this case be killed. When is enough going to be enough?

From everything I have read and studied this religion is based on hatred, intollerance, prejudice and death.

When is enough finally going to be enough?

[edit on 6-2-2006 by One Man Short of Manhood]

[edit on 6-2-2006 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
These people need to be suppressed, and hard. It really bugs me to say things like this too. But it seems only too clear, that these fanatics will be satisfied only with blood and destruction. Fine. Give it to them.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Not only is your grammar atrocious, but you have plagarized a website in your analysis section.

car·toon (kär-tūn')
n.

A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.
A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.

www.answers.com...

cartoon

SYLLABICATION: car·toon
PRONUNCIATION: kär-tn
NOUN: 1a. A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption. b. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon. 2. A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it. 3. An animated cartoon. 4. A comic strip. 5. A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoon.

www.bartleby.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I watched a South Park DVD that just happened to have all the major religious leaders in it, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed etc.

Its a good job they dont see that or theyd have yet another reason to riot and kill each other.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
uH.... yeah...
I am sure that Allah is pleased by the noble sacrifice of his worshipers to protect the prophets good name...

Makes no sense... but neither do suicide bombs, killing women who get raped, or fighting over land that you can't even grow mold on...

I dont agree with the action of the various papers (it was poor taste).
so dont buy the paper, and watch it go away...

but to form protests, and kill people, and burn buildings over a CARTOON is the most insane thing that i have ever heard of...
at the end of the day... it is just a cartoon in bad taste...

and the above poster made a good point...
are Matt and Trey in an underground bunker somewhere?... because when the islamic world is appraised of Southpark islamic satire... there will be a fatwah.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
You want to see something insane?

news.bbc.co.uk...

A protester dressed as a suicide bomber was shown in the press. He then read out a statement saying it was his right and free speech to do that! Ok, so you can dress as a suicide bomber due to free speech but cannot draw a cartoon using free speech?

The hypocrisy is astounding!

Oh yeah, the guy is so deeply religious thats hes a convicted herion and coc aine dealer.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
But he is a devout heroin and coke dealer, and I'm sure he only deals to infidels, so he is in his own eyes I'm sure serving Allah.

df1

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Given the manner in which the major media is jumping on this story, it appears to me that this religous icon cartoon brouhaha is a staged news event designed to further the "politically correct" agenda.

Can you provide a link for entering the contest? I have a cartoon idea that is extremely insulting and degrading that would likely be the contest winner.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hey, don't go steal my idea of Allah and/or Mohammed [sexual content]'ing Jesus!!

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Ulvetann]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
?~

from the thread starter....

The start of this entire chain of events can be pinpointed to one signle cause, a paper publishing drawings!

i read that the Danish paper "Jyllands-Posten" first ran the cartoon back in September ?(05)?

but that the recent Muslim blow-ups were because 4 other Major
newspapers (in France, Spain, Germany.)..
."Le Soir" & "Le Mond" & "El Pais" & "Die Welt"

re-published the cartoon on their Front Pages !!

the source i gleaned this from is: www.humaneventsonline.com...

i wonder just who owns or control those named newspapers?
was there a boardroom decision to coordinate a snub at Muslims?

the past September cartoon, was insignificant and forgotten until the
major effort to re-publish the offensive (to Muslim sensibilities & law)
caraciture / cartoon drawing !

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
My first impression of this, all politics aside, is that if its their beleif that a cartoon of the prophet is the worse insult that can be made, i can see why the protests are going on and turning deadly.

Of course, they take it to the extreme, like with everything else. If i saw a caricature of the virgin Mary smoking a joint, i'd be pissed and think it was sacriligious, but i wouldnt take to the streets.

Extreme societys and beleifs (sp) are nothing but chaos.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
He has now been put back into prison today...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I wonder what they think they are gaining by acting like sociopaths
and showing they can be intimidated into violent acts by cartoons?

“War means an ugly mob-madness, crucifying the truth tellers, choking the artists, sidetracking reforms, revolutions, and the working of social forces.”
~John Reed

The fanatics have stepped over the line between freedom of expression verses physical violence. There's no excuses for this psychotic behavoir or it spreads and becomes mass psychosis.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It’s odd, how many people are making this purely an Islamic Issue. Spend a moment and thinking about it, what the cartoons were - images of the Prophet Mohammed as a pig, as a terrorist and so on and so fourth. They were direct attacks on the Islamic Faith and a direct attack [in the eyes of Muslims] on what they believed. We have now had, hundreds of thousands of Muslim’s attempt to distance themselves from the terrorist fringe and these images directly call them all terrorists and directly goes against what they believe. It wasn’t an act of Freedom of Speech, but rather a very well veiled threat and one they are now paying for.

It’s odd, that if we were to do this about an individual, to accuse them of such acts and there was no proof we would likely be held liable if we were to publish it in a newspaper. That’s what you forget, we have freedom of speech but we have to act rationally with it. By calling all Muslim’s terrorists, you are inciting hatred and it is the same as those Muslim’s who call for the destruction of the West. We can’t have it both ways, we can’t silence one group and not the other and this is what has been happening and this is what the protests are about. Worse yet, people can’t say that Denmark can be blocked [via trade] by Islamic Nation’s - in fact they can if that Nation desires.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Spend a moment and thinking about it, what the cartoons were - images of the Prophet Mohammed as a pig

As you can read in Helmutts thread ATS: Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List:

When Danish Imam Ahmad Abu Ladan, leader of The Islamic Society of Denmark, toured in a delegation around the Middle East (i.e. to a meeting of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in Mecca) to create awareness of anti-Islamic cartoons, he included FAKED cartoons which the danish media NEVER had published. Akhmad Akkari, spokesman of that delegation tour, claimed he does not know the origin of the three black and white pictures.....
The imans also falsely claimed that at least one of their FAKE caricatures (the one you can see here) were one of the 12 Jyllands-Posten drawings. (See here the 12 cartoons of the danish newspaper)

But thanks to makeitsos posting in Helmutts thread, we now know the orign of that picture:

MSNBC: Duo hogs top prize in pig-squealing contest

Father-son team oinks way to victory in French cult competition, Aug. 15, 2005

"Contender Jacques Barrot performs in the French Pig-Squealing Championships in Trie-sur-Baise's annual festival. Contestants suckle, oink, and even imitate mating."

(Photo: Bob Edme, AP)

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Bull, Odium. That is pure slanted and biased bull.
We are held to a higher standard while they are allowed to not only attack other people's opinion, but kill them for being "infidels"?

You have the cart before the horse, Odium, it is the responsibilty of hte Crazos to not behave in a destructive manner.
Jews and Muslims are the target for death, have been for a long time, yert we as groups don't reattack. That hasn't occured since the Crusades. As has been gien by example, the Muslims are guilty of the same type of cartoon drawings, yet you do not see the Israelis acting in such a animalistic, uncontrolled and undisciplined manner, do you? Of course not.

Try and lay the blame at the feet of the ones responsible for the destruction instead of always making excuses for them. It is transparent.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Therefore, we request the Iranian government and the spiritual leadership of Iran to use their influence and ask the Iranian newspaper not to publish cartoons against Holocaust. Muslims must not do the same what European newspapers did to Muslims. We must rise higher in our conduct. We urge the worldwide Muslim communities to stop violent protests. Violence is against Islam and the teachings of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Violence will hurt Muslims only. We must protest against the Danish cartoons but without violence.

Odd...

To me, it seems as though the Muslim Council of the United Kingdom [Britain], Canada and tens of other groups have all came out to speak against the violence. As per-normal, the Newspapers only show one side and intend to bait and make things worse.

The images, were based on an attack and intended to cause this incident. It is a shame Muslim's fell for it, but it is similar to when those Neo-Nazi's tried to protest through the streets in the U.S. They wanted to get a group of people to lash out and validate their claims.

If you lived in Canada, you could attend any of the Seminars [free] that are now intended to bring Non-Muslim's and Muslim's together to speak about these issues and for a rather intelligent member of the faith to explain the reaction that has happened. The problem is, the newspapers do not care and these groups do not have the money to tell us all.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The images, were based on an attack and intended to cause this incident.

Odium, I would have NEVER thought that a cartoon would bring this kind of behavior out of such a large group of people, includings governments.

but it is similar to when those Neo-Nazi's tried to protest through the streets in the U.S. They wanted to get a group of people to lash out and validate their claims.

Are you comparing the Danish news paper to a group of neo-nazi's???
Do you think an apology should be given by the newspaper or any specific country?

Even if the person who created the cartoon had the intentions of making an uproar, that is in no way an excuse that justfies the actions of many muslim nations right now.

Muslim leaders need to start policing their own before they start correcting others over small things.....like cartoons. The US, Canada and many European countries have freedom of speech....where would you make the line to stop that? Religion...is that the cut off point?

If someone made the cartoons in a Muslim country, then yes...they would be subject to Muslim law or whatever other law they got. That's just the way it works. But it was made and printed in a country that allows freedom of speech.....the sooner the Middle East realizes that, the better things will be for both sides.

Odium, where did your external source come from? Thanks

[edit on 7/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's a Newsletter, I get them sent to me almost daily by Muslim's Against Terrorism, Islamic Council of Britain, Canada and so on and so fourth. The one above is from M.A.T.

I'm not saying that the Newspaper are the same, but the intention is. They set out to cause offence and they did it in a way which they knew would work. Muslim's, won't and are not allowed to draw pictures of Muhammed's face. They are also, meant to live like Muhammed did and follow in his footsteps. So they deliberetly did an image and showed him as a terrorist, of course annoying them over the image but also saying all muslims are terrorists. This is no different when that group of Skin Heads, published an article saying Black people were animals and then planned to protest in that area. Both of course coming with a violent response.

It wasn't a good idea for them to resort to violence, but it was known this would happen. The apology won't solve the issue. However, if I set out and published an article that intended to get the same response I believe I would be condemned. If I called all Jews or Christians terrorist, I believe that the article would not be published in a newspaper...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

If I called all Jews or Christians terrorist, I believe that the article would not be published in a newspaper...

Are you KIDDING, Odium?

Just look at cartoons in newspapers around the world. You will find everything there.

But you know what the difference between a Danish newspaper and one in Iran or Saudia Arabia is?

The first one is a private one - the others are state owned

I'm not saying that the Newspaper are the same, but the intention is.

Please educate yourself in this special case. It is very easy, you just have to read the thread Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List.

There you'll find something about the intention of Denmarks newspaper - and some things that should surprise you a LOT about Danish Imans who FAKED cartoons to orchester the rage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join