It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot cross buns are religiously offensive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I can't find a thing on Albert Berwick. the name only shows up in connection to the article.

Here is the original article.

eveningstar.co.uk

However Miss Jackson from the Aster Road school defended the decision to turn the hot cross bun into a simple currant bun.

She said: “The buns were served as pudding on Tuesday we could have had iced buns or hot cross buns.

“Obviously the hot cross bun is a celebration of Easter but it is not Easter yet.

“The cross is there in recognition of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ but for our students who are Jehovah Witnesses hot cross buns are not part of their beliefs.

“We decided to ask to have the cross removed in respect of their beliefs. It was just a currant bun.”

About the piggy bank thing, we had an ATSNN article on that.
Piggy banks not P.C. anymore

Rather than type out anything new I will just quote what I had to say back then.

Originally posted by Umbrax
I wonder if there was ever any complaints to the banks? Probably not. This is just the banks wanting to attract more customers. Not really any different then how supermarkets have "parent parking" along side the law enforced Handicapped Parking. This is just how banks and other big business works. They try to please everyone so they can get everyones money.
Lets be clear on what is happening here.

These things are not being pulled from the shelves. What is happening here is that British Banks have decided to ban the use of the piggy bank symbolism in their own banks.
This is about money not political correctness or Islam.
This is not going to stop us from going out and buying a pack of bacon.
Don't panic.

[edit on 6/2/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

ANOTHER British source. How the hell does that translate to Canada? Where you and I are.

I'm not from Canada.
Where did you hear that?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

ANOTHER British source. How the hell does that translate to Canada? Where you and I are.

I'm not from Canada.
Where did you hear that?

You. Not from Canada? OK, where are you living? I remember your panel. Ontario. I'm sure that's in Canada. I'll lay another MacDonald on that one.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

You. Not from Canada? OK, where are you living? I remember your panel. Ontario. I'm sure that's in Canada.

My panel?
Ontario?
I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Anyway, speaking of banks, there are banks in Britain and Europe that are either changing their loan policies or are considering changing their loan policies to create special loans for muslims because paying interest is against Islamic law.

I'll see if I can find that article.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I believe there are no interest loans being made available in the US also....if I understand them right, they just charge a fee that would be about equivalant to the interest and I think it's collected at the beginning of the loan, so well, I would prefer a loan carrying interest myself, at least that way, I can choose to pay the thing off and not pay as much.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

You. Not from Canada? OK, where are you living? I remember your panel. Ontario. I'm sure that's in Canada.

My panel?
Ontario?
I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Anyway, speaking of banks, there are banks in Britain and Europe that are either changing their loan policies or are considering changing their loan policies to create special loans for muslims because paying interest is against Islamic law.

I'll see if I can find that article.

You didn't answer my question as to where you live. I remember it was Ontario, I wouldn't care otherwise. BTW, your panel still says "EST", Ontario time.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
A cross is actually a pagan symbol.

Jesus wasn't nailed to a cross, but rather a tree. I guess if you consider the crossbar His hands were nailed to, it would form a shape of a cross.

The two thieves were on that same tree with Him.

That being said, I don't observe Easter because of its pagan origin (Jesus rose three days after Passover), and I just don't buy the buns!

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Here's the article on the loans:

Treasury and Bank of England support Islamic financing schemes

Under Islamic law, the receipt and payment of interest is forbidden and many Muslims are reluctant to take out mortgages from banks and building societies to finance home purchase. In response to this need, a working party was established - 'The Bank of England working party on Islamic home finance'. In his April 2003 Budget the Chancellor introduced a measure (abolishment of double stamp duty) that has opened the way for financial institutions such as HSBC to offer home purchasing schemes.

That same website shows compomises that are being made to appease muslims. They include allowing female muslim police officers to wear the hijab and allowing Muslim servicemen to have beards.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
doesnt any one care about the pagans?

wat if there are some kids at this school that will be offended by the removal of this cross?

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sainsburys are doing them year round now. Great fodder in the morning nothing like the sugar rush. This again - like my post about the so called riot last friday smacks of a media frenzy - for those of you again in the US Ipswich is hardly the centre of UK policy. Actually i think i will do a search on this schools OFFSTEAD standings - sounds like a place trying to make a noise with a failing rating.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Jesus wasn't nailed to a cross, but rather a tree. I guess if you consider the crossbar His hands were nailed to, it would form a shape of a cross.

I would looove to know where you got this. I've seen the claim before, but I've never been able to track it down to an original conclusive source.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

I would looove to know where you got this. I've seen the claim before, but I've never been able to track it down to an original conclusive source.

It's on reformation.org, and the webmaster there provides a bibliography:

Magellan, Giants and the Cross

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
look if jesus actually existed and was crucified by the romans he was crucified on a cross. this was the norm for them and nothing else. they were known to crucifie people on wooden crosses so why would jesus be any different.

also on the discovery channel they had a show (cant recall the name) but it talked about the different stages that hominids went through from "eve" all the way up to modern day. they made mention of a race of man who were around 12 to 14 foot tall and they were very common. infact they found some of there remains in the same region that they found the "hobbit" remains. and they were believed to be all over europe.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There were giants, and I think there probably still are. Look in Genesis 6, and it mentions giants.

Goliath was a giant.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I find the English flag offensive it has a cross on it.

I Also find crosses offensive because it might scare wanabe vampires society and witches.

I find prayer at school offensive because we are spreading the word of Jesus so we tell them not too in case it never happened and we look foolish for it.

I think Christianity is out of date and we should take the good things from the Bible and add our own modern approach that way we don't have to go to church and feel dictated by a book. The justice system does a better more up todate job these days. Jesus did not have to deal with sex changes and euthanasia and abortion in his time to give us guidence.

All religions should become one and live together and love one another they all want love together love should be the centre of it all.

Allow more diverse cultures that way we can learn to get along and eventually become one together as a society.

The name Jesus should not be said it might offend the true God if Jesus never existed it could be blasphamy.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

There were giants, and I think there probably still are. Look in Genesis 6, and it mentions giants.

Goliath was a giant.

english.pravda.ru...

Read this article it has another side of cover ups with no suprise and a story which will excite and get you angry at the same time.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I've heard of seven-foot-tall human bones with horns on their heads that were found. Of course it gets covered up--confirmation of this would totally shoot down the theory of evolution, and confirm the Bible!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
english.pravda.ru...

Read this article it has another side of cover ups with no suprise and a story which will excite and get you angry at the same time.

From the link;

The grave of Abel, the second son of Adam and Eve, is the most famous and significant grave. It is located in the vicinity of Damascus. A huge number of pilgrims from Arabian countries arrive here to worship. Druzes, members of an independent religious sect, have been guarding the grave for 300 years. They speak Syriac, a form of Aramaic used by various Eastern Churches. Jesus Christ spoke Aramaic at his time.

The tombstone of Abel's grave is a granite structure about six meters long and 1.80 meters wide. There are orifices on the side of the gravestone. You can smell a strange odor if you get closer to the orifices.

Well, good thing Abel's grave didn't get buried by debris from Noah's flood, and it's also a good thing the people on the ark remembered where it was and could locate it even though the landscape everywhere except for Abel's grave changed beyond all recognition from the flood.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by spamandham]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I've heard of seven-foot-tall human bones with horns on their heads that were found. Of course it gets covered up--confirmation of this would totally shoot down the theory of evolution, and confirm the Bible!

Even if there were seven-foot-tall humans with horns on their heads, in no way would that shoot down evolution, as evolutionary theory does not prohibit odd variations like platypuses and echidnas.

I'm going to let you in on a little known secret, but you have to promise not to tell anyone because they wear capes and have secret identities, but ... a lot of paleontologists are Christians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join