It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writer's Challenge Circuit?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Oooo...looks like things are starting to cook!!!

Yeah and I'd be willing to go up against Yarium or MacDonagh for their next friendly challenge as I already I have my abduction poem done
Two actually! Ha!

(Admittedly I'm so bored in life I have nothing else to do)

[edit on 16-2-2006 by think2much]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
LOL, I might leave mines last minute.
Cause I got lots of work to do.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
looks at empty u2 box

so what's the deal guys? how, when, who, what, where and why??

is the one on one competition still on between DE and Masqua?

send me u2's please along with availability and details

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
looks at empty u2 box

This seems to be a developing situation, with quite a few members interested in a 'challenge contest'. How we set something up to give everyone a chance is still up in the air...I suggested a
'round robin', which gives everyone multiple chances to be involved.

I suppose the evolving situation is what has kept us from flooding you with U2U's so far.

so what's the deal guys? how, when, who, what, where and why??

how... see above

when... I'm ready to start, but we need a system we can all agree on

who...Deus Ex, myself, MacDonagh, Yarium, intrepid, loam, Thinks2much, BO XIAN, The Vagabond and, hopefully Baastetnoir.

where... in Short Stories

why... to have a Monster Contest and generate more interest in Collaborative Fiction which will ultimately have the effect of improving our collective writing skills.

is the one on one competition still on between DE and Masqua?

It sure is, but we need a 3rd party to set the parameters of the challenge, ie...topic, size, medium, timetable, etc.

send me u2's please along with availability and details

OK

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I would be happy to join and and participate. Just read all the posts, and seems like this has been ongoing for a period of time, am I too late? If not, I'd be happy to help.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
assuming i would join... what exactly would i have to do and when would I start doing it ??

just to make sure i dont get over my head... (that wont be to hard to do anyway...:lol

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Is it through times like these members gain the tags of writers, fighters, etc.

I understand what each one stands for, but is this how you gain the status?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Is it through times like these members gain the tags of writers, fighters, etc.

I understand what each one stands for, but is this how you gain the status?

Just have to ask man.

WW for Writer

Nygdan/Amorymeltzer for fighter

ADVISOR for Scholar

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

assuming i would join... what exactly would i have to do and when would I start doing it ??

just to make sure i dont get over my head... (that wont be to hard to do anyway...:lol

Here's the last challenge we've seen in Short Stories, between Deus Ex and intrepid. The rules would be much the same as this example.

What we have to figure out is a way for a larger group to play off against each other, so that the event could last quite awhile and produce an eventual overall winner.

I've read your posts, BaastetNoir...I don't think you'd do badly from what I've seen...'over your head' is not something you need to worry about.

It's about creativity and imagination...the only thing to be careful about is spelling and grammar, really...

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
What we have to figure out is a way for a larger group to play off against each other, so that the event could last quite awhile and produce an eventual overall winner.

What about something like the Debate forum?

Member(M) A vs MB
MC vs MD

In rounds.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What about something like the Debate forum?

Member(M) A vs MB
MC vs MD

In rounds.

Just a thought.

Yeah...we should keep it simple...the round robin approach gets complicated, with contestants having to write a lot of stories.

Your idea sounds best...we pair everyone off...the winners eventually play each other in successive rounds until we have an ultimate winner.

We could match the losers of the first round against the other losers and have a possible 'come-from-behind-Cinderella' win which would give everyone at least 2 chances.

A marathon like this will need some good judging, though...preferably from members which are willing to stick with what could be a lengthy contest.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well then, I suggest we keep this up for the Newb Cup!

Here's my thoughts:

Anyone can enter (of course).
Every challenge is worth 1 point.
Only contestants of equal points may challenge each other.

NOTE: This means that losers of their first challenges can challenge again.

The competition lasts until one contestant reaches X points (say 5).

Judging: Judges should be pre-selected, and they judge over the course of the entire competition. A judge's word on victory is final. No scoring is required, although it would be prefered (a judge could just go "Yeah, he wins" - but it'd be much more constructive to grade the contestants). There should be no more than 1 judge for every 6 contestants. A judge may not participate in the competition.

Just to make Judging more fun, I would also suggest that at the end of the competition, the contestants vote for the Best Judge. The only victory there should be pride - but I think that's some good pride.

With that in mind, there's only 5 days left for me to write my poem!

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
But I am still terrible at tracking down replies etc. in threads. Seems takeforever given the vast number of threads I scan.

But if whomever will U2U me about the parameters, criteria, expectations, deadlines etc., I'll be happy to give it a shot.

No guarantees on quality. But if I'm triggered, energized by the topic(s), should be a fair try.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've got an idea I'd like to throw out there, and I'll try to keep this concise, even though I love to go on and on about details.

Instead of having a head to head tournament structure, how bout a "free for all" type? We could have a series of challenges that we all take on and recieve a 1-10 score on, and whoever comes up with the highest total after all rounds wins. This eliminates disparities between judges, the "tough draw" problem, hopefully gives everyone a chance to write a couple of stories that are really in their area of brilliance, and leaves one person with bragging rights as the best over-all writer.

Just for example:
We might have several themed rounds:"write a sad story on a topic from the blue forums" or "write a story with the NWO as protagonists".

A technical round: "Write a 200 word PART of a story that develops an interesting character" or "Write a spooky setting with no characters".

A poetry round?

And a "do what ever the heck you want" round.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Im all for both ideas of the head to head, however vags notion there seems abit more challenging and really test the abilities of those being involved.

on those thoughts vag!

Personally I would like to see the categories for what we write alittle broad with restrictions. The members should have room to be creative and not confined to a setting already specified.

Put limits to what the story should be confined too.. and then a broad category.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Just let WW do the magic. She REALLY stimulated the grey matter in the challenge between DE and myself.

Thank (enter ones own supreme entity here) that she didn't get us to write a romance.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Quit and live, or die trying ...

I'm on board.......................... ! i'll keep checkin for more info ...

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
She was going to try. I swear, only her compassion and humanity saved us!

But yeah, contests are definitely her specialty. She has a knack for forcing writers out into new territory.

DE

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well guys, somebody broke into my truck and stole a seabag containing virtually every stitch of clothing I own, so I've got to get a job on top of full time course load; if this contest happens in the very near future, I'll probably have to stay out.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Well guys, somebody broke into my truck and stole a seabag containing virtually every stitch of clothing I own, so I've got to get a job on top of full time course load; if this contest happens in the very near future, I'll probably have to stay out.

That is horrible !!!
Im so sorry... what a bunch of ba$tardly ppl there are out there !!

I hope you get a job fast. I'm looking for one too..its not easy.
If there is anyway i can help...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join