It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writer's Challenge Circuit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the first of hopefully many challenges for the writers of ATS. The concept:

A series of 'challenges' in which authors pit their skills against one another for honor and quite possibly glory. Challenges may be issued manually, or we can start up a circuit/ladder/rhombus. I think it would be interesting to see, but I'm wondering how many other authors would support such a venture.

It DOES have a sort of Thunderdome appeal, no?

ANyways, fellow writers, let me know what you think.

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I like the idea...a lot...but the sound of crickets is deafening on this topic.

There's nothing like a challenge to elicit excellence in short stories and I'd happily throw the gloves down on any subject or form of writing.

In this day and age, honing our skills as writers can't be anything but a good thing, especially when we are here in a place like ATS, trying to get an idea across to thousands of others who may read our posts.

Collaborative Fiction is a place where we can learn those skills through honest critique.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm interested. What sort of challenges are we talking here?

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
General issue challenges, such as...oh, for example...

"Write a story that describes cyberspace by Feb 28th"

or

"Write a poem about ATS by Feb 20th".

Simillar to fic challenges. Then, there's duels like the one myself and Intrepid participated in. I admit, not everyone feels the need to compete, but the odd general challenge to write outside your stream fo experience or style would certainly be appreciated.

What're your thoughts?

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm in. When do we start?

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'd give it a shot. Tell me what to write, and when to have it written by, and I'll do it!

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
I'd give it a shot. Tell me what to write, and when to have it written by, and I'll do it!

Write me a cheque for $1000 by tomorrow and send it to Intepid @ ATS.

Seriously guys, this thing was fun and I learned a lot.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm thinking we need a person to be challengemaster. Or, if you need to compete, organize a 'duel' with someone else and U2U WW. Or the soon-to-be-elected challengemaster.

Just ideas.

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The best thing about challenges is that there is a pre-conceived form for the writing which is to be followed...

for instance...DE put forward the idea of describing cyberspace...a fairly straightforward example, but, when you think on it...it can encompass so many really radical ideas. We could write a story about the matrix of movie fame, or the notion of implants in our brains which gives us plenty of ideas.

What's needed is Moderators, who can set the parameters, time limits, participants and, also, provide the most important element...honest critique. I know for a fact there are a number of qualified people which can fill the role of jury members on the entries.

The concept of a series of challenges between all of us showing interest is an excellent idea and a great benefit to the quality of the contests that already run regularly here.

But we have to rely on the moderators who are in control of the forum.

Great to see Yarium and MacDonagh join in...DE and intrepid need all the competition they can find.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I agree with Masqua. We do need more moderators, I think WW is doing a great job, but our little corner of ATS is growing quickly.

Perhaps a stand in? Or better yet, Intrepid! Can you put in for a transfer, omae? Be the challengemaster?

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Perhaps a stand in? Or better yet, Intrepid! Can you put in for a transfer, omae? Be the challengemaster?

DE

Oh yeah, chickens, taking me out of the mix. I knew you all were afraid of me.

I LOVE participating, I don't know if I'd like to give that up. Yeah, I do, I'd HATE to give that up.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
(Why do you think I'm ducking doing it myself?)

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There's no doubt that worldwatcher has been doing an exceptional job in the forum. Amorymeltzer has stepped up to the plate at crucial moments as well. Personally, I'd like to be able to take intrepid on in a challenge and would be disappointed were he relegated to moderating full time.

It seems that we're going through a period of time when the capable mods in situ are busier with their real lives
...weird, eh?

Anyways...this thread will get something going, there's no doubt. 5 people interested is enough to start something...we might just have to wait until the mods can get involved.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You saw that LOVE/HATE thing in my last post right?

Once I recover from our challenge DE,

*wipes sweat from brow*

I'LL TAKE ON ANY COMERS!!!!

*looks Masqua's way*

We'll entitle it, "Old farts can write too."

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
LOL, we'll call it the 'Canuck Cup'.

ANyways, intrepid, you'll have plenty of time to rest since I have already issued a challenge to Masqua.

Yep, so is there any chance we can conscript an outside mod to be challengemaster? Or will we have to elect this person internally?

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
*looks Masqua's way*

We'll entitle it, "Old farts can write too."

Change that to 'old bulls' and you're on, young fart...heh heh

Oh, man. I can't wait...

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Change that to 'old bulls' and you're on, young fart...heh heh

Oh, man. I can't wait...

I'll give you a prelude, which I HAVE to use:

"Benny looked around his small one room abode. What was an empty plate doing on the sofa? The light from the bathroom was gleaming off of it in the meager light.........."

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Intrepid brings that writing HARD!

We also need seconds. Or something. Wild idea, like that. Maybe a team event or something. So, to sum up my vague ideas for format:

1. FFA- challenge is general issue scenario or request. No competition, just for kicks.

2. The Duel- same format as myself and Intrepid's match. One on one, three rounds with each round's subject doled out by the Challengemaster. Three judges to see who wins. two men enter, one man leaves!

3. The Duel PLUS- Same as above, but with seconds to beta and correct and whatnot. Or something. Still thinking about this one.

4. Team Duel- Teams of three writers apiece collaborate in a five round epic. Each subject is doled out by the Band of Judges.

Sounds good, huh?

DE

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Let's not forget two more challengers in the building heat of our warlike natures. Beside the three of us stand two who seethe with bloodlust...Yarium and MacDonagh shall not be denied their coup. I'm keeping my eyes on those two...

DE is correct...we've thrown down our gauntlets early on and that engagement is overdue for resolution...

*sharpens his pencils*

Originally posted by intrepid"Benny looked around his small one room abode. What was an empty plate doing on the sofa? The light from the bathroom was gleaming off of it in the meager light.........."

a subtle yellow glint in the gloom. Above, he heard a heavy thumping, in tempo to the beating of his heart. A feeling of dread washed over him, clenching his guts.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
LET'S SET THIS FORUM ON FIRE.

Damn, I hate this BB code.

[edit on 14-2-2006 by intrepid]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join