It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Battle Of Los Angeles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Five years before Roswell, five years before pilot Kenneth Arnold's landmark sightings of "flying saucers" in the Pacific Northwest, 3 years before the Battle of the Bulge, two years before D-Day, and years before the so-called "modern UFO era" had officially begun, there was the Battle of Los Angeles, arguably the most sensational, dramatic UFO mass encounter on record.

Have you ever heard of the Battle of Los Angeles? Few have. Imagine a visiting spacecraft from another world, or dimension, hovering over a panicked and blacked-out LA in the middle of the night just weeks after Pearl Harbor at the height of WWII fear and paranoia. Imagine how this huge ship, assumed to be some unknown Japanese aircraft, was then attacked as it hung, nearly stationary, over Culver City and Santa Monica by dozens of Army anti-aircraft batteries firing nearly 2,000 rounds of 12 pound, high explosive shells in full view of hundreds of thousands of residents. Imagine all of that and you have an idea of what was the Battle of Los Angeles.

Here is a link to the rest of the artical:

ufocasebook.com...

I find this amazing, I have never in my life heard of this until I came across it online earlier today. What does everyone make of it. Who has heard of this before what are your thoughts? What are your opinions of this event that there is so little talk of. I have never even seen it on a conspericy site before, ever.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. The first time I heard "The Battle of L.A" was when I saw a Rage Against the Machine album called, "The Battle of Los Angeles". I had no idea it was actually about a UFO though, until recently. I always thought it was a "battle" between the police and the citizens of L.A.

I wonder how the government tried to cover up this one!

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I live in LA (not in '42) and have never heard of this. Any other noteable links?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Here is a link to another site about the topic I found it very informative.

brumac.8k.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Every couple of months this story comes back up on ATS...

...as it should.

The Battle of LA is, perhaps, a critical piece of the UFO puzzle. It is a situation where a glowing, disk shaped object was photographed by a newspaperman, where thousands of people watched unusual lights whisp around above their heads, where the army fired 1470 shells at a UFO, and where there is at least some supposed paper trail that connects the BoLA to FDR and General Marshall... and yet most people (including some UFOlogists) have never heard of it.

Now... Imagine, if you will, a siatuation where the modern military shot 1470 missiles at a glowing object that was hanging above a modern american city. Do you think that the media would just shrug it off nowadays? No... because it would be an 'Independence Day' style event... and, within minutes, every computer in the world would have pics on it of the battle.

But... BoLA happened before the era of worldwide media and during a war with massive censorship (on all sides). It, though perhaps one of the biggest events in history), is now just a footnote.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalassassin
Here is a link to another site about the topic I found it very informative.

brumac.8k.com...

Thanks Digitalassassin, Now I know where speilberg got close encounters of third kind idea from

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
PS:
Didn't Steven Spielberg do a movie called '1942' that dealt with the alert that is associated with the BoLA?

It's interesting that Spielberg has so many movies that, one way or the other, are connected to classic UFO lore.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Already covered here ATS last year
and here, with 'picture'

Just another night in Hollyweird.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
err steve did the japs attack LA , not Ufos.
but it was common thinking that the japs would attack the west back then
and even more so for spilberg to make lite of it . the movie itself wasnt very good at all .
john belushi flying around in a p-40 i think and a jap sub off the coast .

so you really cant equate spilberg and ufo's in the movie 1942.

[edit on 6-2-2006 by Briggs]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The name of the movie is 1941 here's the link:

imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hey only,

I think it was called 1941 and was about the paranoia surrounding a possible japanese attack on the west coast during dubya dubya two.

John Belushi's in it and while it's not a side splitter I remember it being pretty funny.

No ufos though.

SPiderj

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
yeah ok 41, i didnt look it up and i hadnt seen the movie in - many yrs -

john belushi was the best part of the movie - imop - but overall the movie
wasnt great .
but it had nothing to do with Ufo's .

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

john belushi was the best part of the movie

yep I agree.

Here's another bola link:
www.informantnews.com...

Has a couple pics, but I think it goes over most of the same information as other sites, there's really only so much available on it.

Spiderj

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I once saw a show on The H channel about TBOLA. It was just more icing on the cake..

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Gazrok authored a really good thread on this last year I believe.

If any are interested his thread is a great place to start looking at this Case.

The “Battle of LA”: The Army open-fires on a UFO over LA in 1942.

It is in the Compilation: Some of the best UFO Cases (or the Classics) thread.

I personally think that this was a UFO event. Its somewhat telling that a large Blimp is used when recreating the event, like the Army did in 2004.

BTW, this is an Annual event.

www.laparks.blogspot.com...

FEBRUARY 25, 1942?
A historical re-enactment

SAN PEDRO – Fort MacArthur Museum, a City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks facility located in San Pedro, will host a special event to mark the 64th anniversary of a noteworthy World War II era incident, one that has defied explanation for decades.

The Great Los Angeles Air Raid will be commemorated on Saturday, February 25, 2006, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at a site that was involved in the episode. The fourth annual event will include eyewitnesses to the actual unexplained phenomenon that happened just a few months after the attack on Pearl Harbor

The evening’s activities will also feature re-enactors using authentic military vehicles from the period, a 1940s style swing dance, an after-dark searchlight display, and more. Guests will also be able to purchase food and beverages to enhance the outdoor occasion.

Apparently people are willing to pay 15 bucks to see re-enactments of WWII battles with UFOs!

[edit on 6-2-2006 by lost_shaman]

new topics

top topics

join